Author Topic: Barking at the door!  (Read 1282 times)

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
Barking at the door!
« on: July 02, 2007, 04:06:37 PM »
I'm having a terrible time at the moment with both dogs barking when someone knocks at the door and they dont stop until i've come back in the room!

Its driving me mad :'( Molly never used to bark like this, only a bark once or twice to let us know someone was at the door but since she's been spayed it has all changed and now Honey join's in!!

My neighbour said to me today "Its a good job you're moving soon, i dont know how much more barking i can take!" She laughed it off as if it was a joke but i know it must be soooo annoying for her.

I dont know how i can stop them doing it? I've asked them calmly to be quiet, ignored them, shouted once or twice ph34r and now have no idea what else i can do!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for reading

Lucy x

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
Re: Barking at the door!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 08:09:04 AM »
Anyone? :-\

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 08:44:04 AM »
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 09:13:31 AM »
Thanks Lexi - I'll give it a read!! ;)

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 01:01:25 PM »
Can you not take the dogs to the door with you (on lead if necessary) - or use a babygate so they can see you but not escape?  :huh:

Molo barks when someone knocks on the door too - but I don't discourage it, as it is a good deterrent - you must have lots of visitors if your neighbour complains  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 01:07:21 PM »
Sorry cant be much help but I can sympathise.

I don't mind the dogs barking when someone comes to the door, but once we let the person into the house Maddie keeps barking really aggressively.  I have tried a couple of things but nothing seems to work!  We now just ignore her and she eventually gets bored and stops!

Luckily our next door neighbour has a dog that is quite noisey so she can't complain!

Good luck with your two.  :D

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 01:10:42 PM »
I have a lot of family that come and visit everyday (can get a little annoying, never get time to myself) and Josh (6) has friends calling for him all the time! The house we are in now is a terraced and small. Only one room so cant keep dogs away from door or use a babygate!

We should be moving soon so i might wait and see how they are at that house!

I agree, i think they should deffinitely bark to let me know someone is there but it gets frustrating when they are still barking while i'm either talking to someone or helping someone in the house!

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 01:13:36 PM »
I don't know how to stop the barking, but i do think having more than one dog makes it worse, with my two they start each other off all the time. Lucy is (more than!) a tad neurotic too, so she'll wake up and yap because she thinks somethings happening, then Jarvis barks to join in, so Lucy thinks theres someone at the door and so on. ::)

It may be with your two that it started because Molly was feeling insecure and jumpy after the op, and now they're triggering each other...

Once we've moved (theres too many visitors here for it to work) i'm going to start de-sensitising them to the door by sending OH out to keep knocking on and ringing the bell at different times, without opening it or paying any attention to them so that it looses it's excitement. Whether it'll work or not is another matter! :005:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Cazzie

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 03:29:57 PM »
Join the club, sorry cant help but all mine do it as daisy starts them off.  >:(  :005:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 03:41:11 PM »
I agree with Beth.  Kali never barked at the doorbell until Holly showed her how much fun it was ph34r
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe