Author Topic: Huge fight  (Read 19434 times)

Offline cadbury

• Site Member
  • My wonderful Family oh and me
Re: Huge fight
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 08:30:43 PM »
Sorry to hear hope they are OK like you say its you that ends up feeling shaken after and they just carry on as though nothing
happened. I agree with the letting them know that fighting is bad if there seems to be no reason for fight.
Hi from ANN,Bailey, Minstrel and Merlin the cat.
My animals are the light through dark days
Update.... Bailey died yesterday age 14 .. Minstrel 8yrs ago age 17
Merlin 10 yrs ago age 17
I have now Ellaween age 7 and Willow age 2 both working type cockers Ella black and Tan and Willow choc n Tan.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 09:24:16 PM »

A few months ago I got myself a copy of Patricia McConnell's "Feeling Outnumbered? How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-dog Household" and have often referred to it. She advises against letting your dogs work things out themselves through fighting, that you have to let them know that fighting is unacceptable. I'm sure there are people who would disagree with this approach but it appeals to me and it's what I'm going to try and follow if ever any serious problems develop with Byron and Mac.

I will definitely get myself a copy of that book. I have to admit that I thought they should be left to work things out and only step in if you feel one is going to get injured, much in the same way you would with an adult telling a pup off. I did leave them to get on with it but when I saw the blood I waded in to split them up. If it happens again, I might try distracting them so it doesn't get to that stage. We went to another park today and all 3 times, there were no issues at all. They are now cuddled up together in bed as if nothing had ever happened  :luv:  Hope it stays that way  ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 09:26:21 PM »
Gill - I hope it stays that way too  ;)

We went to another park today and all 3 times, there were no issues at all. They are now cuddled up together in bed as if nothing had ever happened  :luv:  Hope it stays that way  ;)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 11:21:11 PM »
aw poor you Gill  :'(

Fingers crossed they have cleared the air now  ;)

I remember a few weeks back now, Billy's behaviourist, who has five dogs , had a dog fight incident. She had been in the house & heard a commotion in the garden, when she went out to see what was going on two of her dogs were fighting, one of them had the other by it's shoulder & was dragging it up & down the garden  :o  She had to break it up. She said she honestly thought the one being dragged was going to be very seriously injured. Thankfully he was absolutely fine .  She'd had these dogs for years and they had always been best buddies, this was right out of the blue.

They are fine now but she said she had no idea what caused it, maybe there had been something going on between them that she had not noticed. It was just one of those things and thankfully hasn't happened since.

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 09:37:10 AM »
I bet you were shaken up!

My two have done this in the past but mainly before they were 1.  They've not really hurt themselves but I know that I couldn't stop shaking and my heart was pounding like mad.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline amandaC

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 10:24:55 AM »
Been there too, very scary when they fight  :'(. Mine were all noise until very recently but then it got serious and we had blood and wounds and a trip to the vets. Poor Jasmine was so traumatised she would shake uncontrollably when she saw daisy so she had to go to my mums ( where we go a lot) and we tried to bring her back home a few times but she just could not cope with Daisy and her behaviour so we found her a lovely retired lady to live with.

But what I really want to know is if two dogs are fighting seriously how do you separate them without getting bitten. I used a garden chair to try and negotiate between them as a barrier and it worked but without that what do you do? Jasmine responded when I shouted leave and she was the victim but Daisy just ignored me totally  >:D. I have heard water can suprise them but would appreciate some feedback as to what others have done? Always good to be mentally prepared.

Amanda x
Amanda, Amber, Tallulah and Rubydoo x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 05:33:22 PM »
Well, we had another incident this morning but this time it resulted in Aspen needing veterinary treatment  :'(  I have no idea what caused it as we were just walking along the street when Disney started growling at Aspen. I tried to jolly him along and distract him but he just launched himself at Aspen and the pair just let rip at each other (great wake up call for the people living in said street  ph34r). Finally managed to split them up with blood dripping from the pair of them  :'( I have to phone the vets back tomorrow to speak to the girl who runs the behaviour clinic to see if castration would help. I'll be gutted if that has to happen but its so horrid to see two dogs who normally get on so well fighting like that  :'(

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 05:47:21 PM »
aw no Gill I'm so sorry  :'( :'( That must have really shook you up too

Hope they have some good advice for you tomorrow.

Enjoy the rest of the day, have a nice bath & a big bar of galaxy  :-*

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 05:48:38 PM »
So sorry to hear this Gill - I hope the behaviourist can help you get to the bottom of the problem  :'(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 06:03:24 PM »
You must have got the shock of your life, Gill. On the odd occasion (usually bone stealing induced  ::)) when Bramble has gone for Poppy, my heart is in my mouth and I can almost feel my blood pressure rise.

I hope you can get to the bottom of this.

sending big hugs to you and healing thoughts to Aspen. xx
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 06:06:23 PM »
Gill I'm sorry they have done it again, you must have been so shocked. I hope the vets can help you but if they do advise castration, I think I would think about it. Suppose lowering the testosterone levels might help.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »
Awww, Gill, I'm sorry. I hope you manage to sort it out, Ham and Indie have the odd spat, and neither of them are castrated either. Best of luck
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 06:43:38 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear this Gill - its so horrid isn't it? My two scrap big time every now and again, with it always being Dyl ending up in the vets for a couple of stitches or staples.

Dont' rush a decision about castration - Clive is neutered and Dyl isn't and they still row, normally over a toy on walks. Do you think its to do with Aspen's age? Is he pushing his luck at all?

Best of luck with sorting it out
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 06:59:07 PM »
Dont' rush a decision about castration - Clive is neutered and Dyl isn't and they still row, normally over a toy on walks. Do you think its to do with Aspen's age? Is he pushing his luck at all?

Thats the thing - Aspen really isn't pushing his luck. He is so submissive to him right up until Disney goes for him then he fights back. He always comes off worse. His mouth is so swollen that he can't eat  :'(  Obviosuly if neutering is the way to go, then only one of them will be done but I'll be very annoyed if it has to be Aspen cos he's done nothing wrong - Disney deserves it  >:( ph34r  But no, I certainly won't rush into it  ;)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 07:07:50 PM »
aw Gill I really feel for you , you can tell from your post that you are really upset  :'(