Author Topic: Huge fight  (Read 19492 times)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Re: Huge fight
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2007, 10:36:24 PM »
Oh no not again, I'm so sorry. I really hope you can get this sorted before it becomes too frequent.  :-\

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2007, 11:15:23 PM »
Oh Gill I'm so sorry.  :'(

If only we knew why. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a peaceful weekend for you and hopefully you can track down this lady on Monday.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2007, 11:22:07 PM »
I have a friend that has several different breeds all male and all different ages (collies, deerhound, brittanys) when the pups got to an age where they start to flex their muscles alot of fights happened as it upsets the balance.  But she also had a problem when her eldest dog who would usually sort out the fights and keep the peace got ill and the two younger dogs were fighting all the time, it got worse when her older dog died.  I know people don't believe in a pack mentality but sometimes it does make a little sense.

I know Sue sorted out her dogs problems with alot of time patience and training.  I can ask if you can pm her if you like?? She's a lovely person and might be able to offer you a little support?

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
  I can ask if you can pm her if you like?? She's a lovely person and might be able to offer you a little support?

That would be great - I would really appreciate it
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2007, 11:33:59 PM »
can you pm me your email address with a little info I can forward to Sue.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2007, 06:37:14 AM »
when the pups got to an age where they start to flex their muscles alot of fights happened as it upsets the balance. 

I know Sue sorted out her dogs problems with alot of time patience and training.  I can ask if you can pm her if you like?? She's a lovely person and might be able to offer you a little support?

What age is that roughly  :huh: ph34r

Hope your friend can help Gill   ;)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2007, 08:50:40 AM »
AW Gill I'm so sorry  :'(

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2007, 09:53:23 AM »
when the pups got to an age where they start to flex their muscles alot of fights happened as it upsets the balance. 

I'm basing this on what I've read and info from two vets.  ;)
There are supposedly two phases in a pup's life where he may tend towards serious aggression when dealing with another dog. The first one is anywhere from 6-9 months when he first starts to mature and the second is around 18 months when his testosterone levels will be at their highest.
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2007, 08:53:06 PM »

I'm basing this on what I've read and info from two vets.  ;)
There are supposedly two phases in a pup's life where he may tend towards serious aggression when dealing with another dog. The first one is anywhere from 6-9 months when he first starts to mature and the second is around 18 months when his testosterone levels will be at their highest.

Blimey sounds like I could hav my work cut out then  ;) as Fern is 18 months and Braan has just come into the equation and is now 14 weeks  :shades: 

Thanks for the info  ;)

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2007, 09:09:27 PM »
Blimey sounds like I could hav my work cut out then  ;) as Fern is 18 months and Braan has just come into the equation and is now 14 weeks  :shades: 
Thanks for the info  ;)

Don't worry! It all depends on the individual dog and his/her personality and anyway a female/male relationship tends to be less problematic than a male/male or female/female. May your worst fears never come to pass - 'tis far better to be aware that there could eventually be a problem and never have it happen. "Be prepared". :D
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2007, 09:23:12 PM »
Thanks - the way they have all (Jock included) settled together is un real  - I couldn't have wished for anything better they have all been great  ;)

Offline lolamum

• Site Member
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2007, 06:56:34 PM »
Hi Gill , just wondering how the boys are getting on now.

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »
I have just read through this thread, what a nightmare for you Gill  :o

Hows things now ?

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2007, 10:50:23 PM »
Just thought I would update as things have not been great. Last week they had a really bad fight whivh resulted in Aspen needing veterinary treatment for a badly swollen mouth and being unable to use one of his front legs. That was last wednesady and they have had a few fights every day since. Both of them have huge chunks ripped out of their faces and Aspen has wounds on his leg and ears. They are not getting a chance to heal as they keep getting reopened with every fight. Normally they would just forgive and forget after a fight but now they can barely be in the same room as each other. I'm constantly on edge which is certainly not helping them. I've spoken to a few behaviourists and they have all said the same thing - neuter Aspen. Its got to the stage where I have to try it because the only other option is rehome one of them which would absolutely kill me but we can't go on as we are  :'(xsd
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2007, 10:53:02 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear this Gill, it cannot be easy for you.  :bigarmhug:

If only we could sit them down and talk things through.  :-\