Author Topic: Huge fight  (Read 19875 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Huge fight
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2007, 10:08:44 PM »
Jann, the theory is that you neuter the more submissive dog which is why poor Aspen is having it done. I think the logic behind it is that it creates a bigger gulf between the two dogs status' so there should be less inclination to fight.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2007, 10:30:08 PM »
Sorry to hear all this Gill

hope it works out for the best.  :luv:

Was told tonight after castration it takes a good 2 months for hormones to settle - not sure if this is true but something to look into (or you might know already )

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2007, 10:31:28 PM »
Thanks for that Gill  I really do hope it works for you  !

Good Luck Jann  :luv:

Offline Holly

• Site Member
  • Beatle and Mouse
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2007, 09:37:48 AM »
Was told tonight after castration it takes a good 2 months for hormones to settle - not sure if this is true but something to look into (or you might know already )
Our vet warned my daughter that this was not a 'quick fix' but more of a gradual improvement. This was in relation to having her very stressed rescue Border Collie done.
The deed is being done this morning. I think daughter is now more stressed than the dog!
I'm sure this will work for you.
We had a retriever who was attacked by a Labrador as a puppy and ever after decided that attack was the best form of defence and tried to go for every black Labrador he met.  We had him castrated and once he had settled he was so much better...stopped the humping as well!
Hope all goes well

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2007, 09:57:41 PM »
Don't beat yourself up about castrating him, all boys living in this house are castrated and they're all happy little bunnies.  :luv:

After todays fight which resulted in Apsen being treated for shock  :'( , the op can't come soon enough for me now. Its pretty much our last hope. I managed to get bitten 6 times on my thumb trying to split them up and it feels like its on the verge of falling off  :lol:  Off to the doctors for a tetanus tomorrrow  ::)

OMG.  :o  It must break your heart.  :'( not to mention your poor thumb!  :-\  I am really keeping everything crossed that this will make a big difference to all three of you, you must be stressed out of your head living amongst all this.

Apart from Barney, the big wuss of the family, the other two boys made miraculous recoveries after being castrated. In fact within an hour of coming home from the vets Morgan took off to run round the garden with the other three who were playing ball with OH! So the game had to stop because Morgan just wasn't having any of it going on without him joining in.  ::)  :luv:  In my experience the boys recover so much quicker than the girls so I'm sure Aspen will start to feel back to normal within a day or so.

I'm thinking of you, you take care of yourself.....and that thumb!  :-*
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2007, 11:53:58 PM »
Just caught up with this Gill, sorry you have been having such a dreadful time with the boys.

Hope things improve for everyone xx

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2007, 12:18:25 AM »
Gill

How did Aspen get on today?
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2007, 08:09:45 AM »
Just caught up with this thread and all I can say is (((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

It must be awful to be living with the worry 24/7. I know how I was when Billy first came home and Alfie went for him a few times, felt like my heart was forever in my throat :(

Hope the op goes well and that things do settle down quickly for you. When Alfie was done I noticed a change in a week or two - he was very aggressive before the op - he wasn't perfect over night and still isn't but he is much more relaxed and walks away from situations that he would have dived in on previously (still guards me though :( )
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2007, 09:59:47 AM »
Hi Gill

I know exactly what you're going through as I went through this with Sebastian and Bart.  I took Sebastian to the Vet and had the tardac injection (chemical castration) but it didn't make any difference to him at all then I had Bart done and he became really withdraw and not a the happy little dog that I was used to having around so in the end with a very heavy heart I decided to do the kindest thing for Bart and rehomed him to a lady that had just lost her dog.  I still get upset about this to this day but he has a wonderful new life and not the constant fighting that he had when he was living with me.

I wish I had caught this thread earlier because I would of suggested trying the chemical castration before castration because sometimes castration doesn't do what we hope it will do.

Sebastian was castrated due to health reasons last year but it hasn't made any difference to him at all - he will still try and hump other entire dogs.

I really do hope that this is the answer for poor Aspen.

Thinking of you

Dessie xx
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2007, 11:56:17 AM »

Good luck Gill, hopefully neutering will have the desired impact and make life less stressful for you all.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2007, 12:14:58 PM »
Hope all went well Gill, thinking of you and boys and really hope things start to improve quickly for you all now..

Big hugs  :-*

Hannah xxxxx

PS. Hope your thumb made a rapid recovery too!

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2007, 02:21:39 PM »
I too hope the castration has the desired effect, but I'm going to stick my neck out now.

I have to agree with Dessie, sometimes finding another home is the only answer. I did it for Georgia and Otis, if I hadn't I would have had let them live a life of misery.
It absolutely broke my heart to let them go but Georgie never looked back (quite literally) from the day she went, and Otis is in his element being an only dog, I know this as I do a 50 mile round trip every 6 weeks to go and trim him.

Contrary to what some people say, I believe letting a dog(s) go is not failing or giving up, and as hard as it is, is the most selfless act you can do when things aren't going right.

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2007, 02:53:58 PM »
sorry Gill I dont look in 'behaviour' very much. that is awful. I've been lucky with the groovy gang, but I really feel for you. I hope the neutering sorts it  ;) :-*

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2007, 03:57:55 PM »
Contrary to what some people say, I believe letting a dog(s) go is not failing or giving up, and as hard as it is, is the most selfless act you can do when things aren't going right.

I agree, although it has to be the most difficult thing to have to do  :'(

I have a friend who has two bitches that just recently have started to fight like mad. They can't be in the same room as each other. So one stays in the bedroom whilst the other has the run of the house. Then every hour they swap. She adores them and can't bear to rehome one but i think it's going to be the only option soon.

Fingers crossed though Gill the neutering may calm things down a bit  :-*

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2007, 06:51:47 PM »
I too hope the castration has the desired effect, but I'm going to stick my neck out now.

I have to agree with Dessie, sometimes finding another home is the only answer. I did it for Georgia and Otis, if I hadn't I would have had let them live a life of misery.
It absolutely broke my heart to let them go but Georgie never looked back (quite literally) from the day she went, and Otis is in his element being an only dog, I know this as I do a 50 mile round trip every 6 weeks to go and trim him.

Thanks for your reply and support Michele.  I know what you went through with Otis and how much it broke your heart to let him go.

I have to say and this is my personal opinion here that we are the ones that think we can't possibly cope with letting one of our beloved dogs go to another home and that the dog will not cope without us, but in fact it is quite the opposite.  I found with my situation as soon as Bart left the household was a totally different place.  Sebastian was more relaxed and so was Douglas and of course I was I wasn't on tender hooks all the time waiting for the next fight to happen.  I have never been round to see Bart since he left and that will be 2 years in December.  I know from friends that he has settled in perfectly and is a very happy.

And as Michele has quite rightly said we have not failed or become a bad owner because our dogs take a dislike to each other ... every dog is different most of them like to have other doggie company but some which I think Bart is preferred not to share his owner with anybody.

Dessie
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands