Author Topic: Will not come back  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Vivienne

• Site Member
Will not come back
« on: September 13, 2007, 04:02:44 PM »
Whistler must be in adolescence when we go out for a walk he does his own thing off the lead, I call and call and he is deaf as a post. However, say who wants a biscuit quietley and he is there as quick as a rocket. Stubborn little sod, then when I move around the ofice he  follows me like a shadow.

He can be so good and then so naughty, I put him back on the lead, perfect behaviour, off the lead does his own thing again, is it a phase? he is 6 and a half months.

On a slightly different subject he has had his second stripping and looks fab with his roan colours coming out on his back and less fluffy!!

Viv &  (Kevin) Whistler

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
Re: Will not come back
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 08:37:02 PM »
I'm afraid he's moving into his teen months and will possibly be quite a trial to you  :005:

It's quite normal for pups to loose all memory of their training at this point, and if his recall has gone there is nothing for it but to go back to the beginning, put him on a long lead (training lead - not an extending lead) and start again. Its tedious, but really important cos recall can save their lives.

They all grow up in different ways, but the teen stage can last until 18months...fingers crossed WHistler's just being forgetful! |Everything is so exciting for him right now, he's feeling a bit more independent, that's all it really is.

Good luck!
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline pupdaddy

• Site Member
  • What you lookin' at?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 07:03:44 PM »
Jarvis got lost a couple of times and now generally checks where we are. He still does his own thing on the walks (he's 9 1/2 months as I type this) but will come back to a whistle signal.... most of the time.

Have you tried using a whistle?
Robin & Emma & Jarvis

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 08:11:49 PM »
Oh the joys of selective hearing  ph34r  :lol:
I think people thought I was mad shouting 'SAUSAGE' in the park, but hey it worked!

I agree with Abby, get a long line, as it could be dangerous if he buggers off near a road or something.
I go back to it sometimes even now, and Bettys 3! Sometimes I think she can only use 1 sense at a time, her nose or her ears   >:D

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 10:30:07 AM »
Definitely a long line :D My 15 month old, who has been and angel up to now, has finally realised that she can track rabbits....Arrrghh. Got a long line for her, behaves like an angel again. Don't hesitate, get one today :005:

Offline Taffy Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 10:46:53 AM »
We have been having a similar problem with Jasper - although he's only 6 months. His recall is great - except when he sees other dogs - he just has to go and play and then does not want to come back.

I have a small plastic tub (about 20p from asda) filled with small treats so that it rattles. I only have to shake the tub and he comes running.....:005:

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 10:51:52 AM »
I'm still having trouble with Fern and she is just over two years old.  She is absolutely fine most of the time, but if there is a scent of a pheasant there is absolutely nothing I can do to get her back.  It makes me  >:D It is now terrible because the new season's pheasants are roaming around - it makes walks a nightmare and i usually love taking Fern out round the fields.  She will have to have on lead pavement walks which are no fun for either of us  :'(
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 03:53:54 PM »
Definitely a long line :D My 15 month old, who has been and angel up to now, has finally realised that she can track rabbits....Arrrghh. Got a long line for her, behaves like an angel again. Don't hesitate, get one today :005:
So agree with this!
I still use one on Bayley from time to time if I think the situation demands and his recall is pretty much bang on even on gamey ground.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline caty

• Site Member
  • Flyndo
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 04:40:08 PM »
I think I need one of those. Flynn always walks at my side but at the weekend I got a fright when he caught sight of a squirrel and went after it. No amount of tasty liver treats and namecalling got him back. I had to go over to get him! ph34r

Offline Vivienne

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 05:23:15 PM »
Caty I love the flumps,  yes I agree a long line. Today walkies were perfect with both boys. Yes we use a whistle mainly for Jake (Border 5 monthds old) Whistler does come but again when it suits him. The other thing I do is walk the other way when he will not come and he soon flys up to see where I have gone or what he is missing.

I agree that I need a good recall so i will invest in a long lead asap, I do not use the expany much with Whistler he doesent seem to like it.

Advice? is a harness better than a half choker? I do find that when we walk to the lead when I stop walking he immediately sits, but still pulls a bit on the way out for a walk but is beautiful on the lead on the way home, can't pant and pull at the same time.

Just finished his mini milk lollie so he's a good boy at the moment. Thanks for the advice as always its so helpful.

I have also blotted my copy book as he is a lap dog, I can't resist a cuddle on the chair at night, my OH moans but I note he occasionally cuddles Jake whan he thinks I am not looking!!!

Viv

Offline Terri Carpenter

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 05:31:06 PM »
Mine have always been good at recall thankfully but one piece of advice that was given to a friend who was having trouble with her dogs recall was not to tell them off when they do come back even if you feel like strangling them you must praise them instead. Her dogs recall has really improved now she realises that coming back will earn her a treat or a stroke