Author Topic: Stairs??  (Read 1717 times)

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
Stairs??
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:51:09 AM »
At first i was going to post this in Health as i thought there might be a problem with Molly's legs or something but i think its more a behaviour issue.

The other night i was putting the kids to bed and the dogs joined me upstairs, as i came downstairs Honey followed me and i waited at the stair gate for Molly, but she would not move from the top of the stairs!

I left her up there because i thought she might have wanted to go to bed away from Honey but after a while i heard her whimpering so i went and called her down but again she wouldnt move!

I went upstairs and told her to stop being silly (dont you teat them like kids sometimes  ::) ) and she still would not budge. I left her again but after 30 mins she was still up there - in the end the only way i could get her down was if i carried her!!

I started to panic because i thought she might have had something wrong with her legs but she could get on the sofa and when we went to bed ourselves she climbed the stairs fine.

In the morning - the same again - she would not come down!!! Again i had to carry her.

This has been going on for 5 days now - why do you think she is doing this?? It is like she really cant get down the stairs and is either frightened or in pain or just being stubborn and wanting to be carried?!

As i said i dont know whether this should be in Health or Behaviour so please move if needed!

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
Re: Stairs??
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:57:30 AM »
Has she come down the stairs herself before?

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 11:00:20 AM »
Oh yes - she is 3 years old  ;)

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:06:36 AM »
Then i would take her to get checked by the vet incase she is sore somewhere. Have you tried luring her with food?

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:13:09 AM »
oh no i havent - will try asap  ;)

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 11:27:15 AM »
Is it possible there may have been an incident in stairs on the way down to frighten her.

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 11:49:08 AM »
No - nothing has happened!

The dogs only come upstairs with me as we have a stair gate so i would have seen any accidents!

Just went upstairs and she followed - i went back down and she wouldnt come again - got some ham from the fridge and showed her it and she flew down the stairs!!

I'm now thinking maybe its because i have only just stopped carrying Honey up and down stairs as she is nearly 11 months - so now Molly thinks its her turn???

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 11:54:34 AM »
Bless her :luv:  Hope it sorts itself soon :blink:otherwise mum is going to need another pair of arms :005:

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 12:48:41 PM »
Bless her :luv:  Hope it sorts itself soon :blink:otherwise mum is going to need another pair of arms :005:
Or a big pack of ham  :005: Hope she is ok Lucy.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 04:04:53 PM »
Even if she is not suffering now then it might be a memory of previous pain that is causing this.
My goldie Oliver has Arthritis in his front paws and is in more discomfort going down the stairs than if going up.
I agree that if you have not already done so and this problem persists then the vet is the first port of call.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »
Thanks everyone!

If she keeps doing this for a couple more days i will call the vet - i think (hope) she's being stubborn!!

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 01:39:05 PM »
Sometimes when Roxy goes outside she won't come back in! She sits at the door but won't come in no matter how much I call her!  I have to shut the door and walk away then go back a couple of minutes later and open the door and she decideds she'll come in!

Strange pooches!