Author Topic: Barking at other dogs  (Read 1240 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Barking at other dogs
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:04:05 AM »
Disney is 4 1/2 now and I would say for the past 2 years approx, he will bark at every dog we see (yet he was fine at training class). For the first year of this, we worked on it when out by giving him the "watch me" command which helped a lot as long as I saw the dog first and could distract him quick enough. Occasionally he would still think that barking was much more fun but on the whole. he was much improved.  However, for the past year he has been wearing a muzzle when out and because I couldn't treat him, he wasn't interested in listening to a word I had to say and we were back at square one. Now that he is no longer wearing the muzzle, we have started again and he is doing really well. If he  doesn't respond to the "watch me" command, then a stern "leave it" will do the trick. When he is looking at me, he gets praise and bits of his high value treat.  I'm just not sure if this is the right technique to use with him as, even if I walked the entire length of the street/park praising and treating him, as soon as he realises no treat is forthcoming, he will turn around and bark so he is still getting to carry out the behaviour (albeit to a much lesser extent) with the added advantage of a tummy full of hot dog! So just wondering really if I carry on with this technique but tweaked slightly or try a whole different approach altogether?
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Re: Barking at other dogs
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:10:19 PM »
I'm not too sure what to suggest.  Bailey has been a bit funny with a few other dogs for about the last 18 months.  Just a couple of dogs that lived nearby, and most he is absolutely fine with.  Bailey isn't food or toy motivated whatsover, so I ended up getting a canny collar.  It doesn't stop him barking, but gives me a lot more control of him and I can get him away from the situations more effectively than I can on a normal collar/harness and lead.  I have also been practising the "leave" command with him and this, along with the canny collar has certainly improved things.

Harvey just barks at anything bigger or hairier than himself and is currently a work in progress  ::)

as soon as he realises no treat is forthcoming, he will turn around and bark

This is probably the area I would work on.  You want Disney not to know when a treat is forthcoming or not, so he will always perform the good behaviour on the "off chance" that he will get a treat iyswim  :huh:
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 04:31:39 PM »
Rather than distracting with watch me i would want to reward him for looking at the other dog and choosing his own option to do something else apart from bark.
With Bayley i clicked him for any break in the barking and then any orientation towards me until he looked at me without me having to tell him.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:41:46 PM »
Rather than distracting with watch me i would want to reward him for looking at the other dog and choosing his own option to do something else apart from bark.
With Bayley i clicked him for any break in the barking and then any orientation towards me until he looked at me without me having to tell him.

I'll try that, I have one that squeals and barks when we meet other dogs, and one that is as good as gold.  Teal (the squeal) puts her stumpy tail up like a flag and looks quite grumpy, then will make a racket at the front end and the back end wags like mad?  I usually tell her to "draw her neck in" and we all keep walking.  Whereas a friend of mine with her collies, grabs them and squares them up to whatever dog they are barking at (I don't particularly like that and will keep walking on if Teal joins in).   Madam Teal enjoys a good bark though - monkey!  But is an angel in every other way :luv: