Author Topic: pepper running home...  (Read 785 times)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
pepper running home...
« on: May 17, 2011, 01:45:19 PM »
Pepper has really scared me this week.  >:DFirstly over the local park he picked up something and ran off home,crossing a busy road with his "prize2 despite me calling etc. Then today he got another dog's ball and ran under a gate to the car park and hid the ball under our car! He could have been hurt or caused an accident both times. Up to now his recall has been ok but I am scared to let him off the lead now which means not playing with other dogs which he loves. What would you do???  Pepper is 8 months and was castrated a week ago.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: pepper running home...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 02:15:36 PM »
I would keep him on a long line & practice his recall at the local park.  :shades:  Take yummy treats out on your walks too.
This could take months & months but unless Pepper is in an enclosed, safe environment, personally i would rather be safe than sorry.  :'(
Atm the only time i would let him off lead is if you are away from any roads.  :shades:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 02:45:50 PM »
Totally agree,  Safety First.

C&G  and Megan
Remembering Our Sweet Megan

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 03:00:07 PM »
Sounds familiar (not running back home, but to the car for me).  All ok now though.  Go back to basics, really yummy treats, practice when he's not too far away, so you're guaranteed success, then work on distance.

It will have scared you, but in time, you will build confidence up, I know I did, but it takes time.  

Good luck, Sarah

Willow and Katie

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 08:11:20 PM »
Thanks, I was chatting to my OH this evening and we thought that was probably the way to go. I was also thinking about the possessions thing as well as he seems very motivated to run and hide things.