Author Topic: treats can be so stressful!!!!!  (Read 1107 times)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
treats can be so stressful!!!!!
« on: August 21, 2011, 04:02:13 PM »
This is a strange question ..but here goes! When I give pepper a boneo or a rawhide bone  chew as something nice to occupy him when I am for example getting tea or chatting to friends, he walks around crying with it, completely unable to know what to do with it. He goes in the garden to bury it and then brings it back in,wanders into his crate and out again etc. What was meant to be a treat seems so sad and stressful!!! Sometimes he will sit on the floor with me (rather defeating the object!)  and then eat or chew it. Any ideas why he is like this and what i could give him instead!  :D

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: treats can be so stressful!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 04:13:57 PM »
I don't know why they do this, I have had dogs who did this too. Maybe they just didn't like whatever was on offer?  :dunno: I always just try a different treat or toy 
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 05:22:36 PM »
Will the staffie does this with certain treats - I can't give him those stuffed bones, for instance, as he hides them in the airing cupboard or my bed!  He is fine with small treats that can be eaten quickly.
Nerys the cocker was a bit odd with one of her treats yesterday - it was a dentastick, and she wouldn't eat hers though Will had eaten his - he did think of eating hers too but she wouldn't let him, just sat with it between her paws for ages.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:01:27 PM »
Brodie does this with high value treats/chews, has done since she was a pup. She can get very stressed at times and there are some things she gets so upset with (like pigs ears) that I just don't give her them now. She usually hides them, her favourite place is my bed :P.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:36:25 PM »
Whenever I leave the magnets together to go out and leave biscuits, chews etc., they eat them whilst I am out, however when I leave either one of them and take the other - the chews are always left till I walk in the door.........funny little pooches.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 09:41:29 PM »
Misha used to do this when she was an only dog.  It seemed as if she really wanted it but just wasn't hungry,and couldn't find a good safe place to leave it.  Quite often I'd find them under sofa cushions.  As soon as Roly arrived and then the other two dog everything is eaten as soon as it is given, and if she really doesn't want it she'll just sit with it to make sure any of the other dogs doesn't get it.  Sometimes she seems quite relieved when I take it back.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 09:50:09 PM »
My two girls act quite differently with treats.  Stevie likes to 'play' with hers.  Throwing it up in the air, rolling on top of it, throwing it under furniture etc.  She also likes to place it in a certain spot and then 'attack' it  :005:  After playing with it, she does eventually settle down to chew it.
Marley just carries hers around the house or to her bed.  She just places it in front of her but if she catches me looking at it, she snatches it up in her mouth again.  :005:  She only starts to chew her treat when Stevie has finished hers and takes great delight in winding her sister up over the fact that she has still got hers.  :005: :005:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 09:54:11 PM »
Charlie used to do exactly this with bigger chews - bonios/rawhides, he would grizzle to himself the whole time and wander around trying to bury it.  He seems to have grown out of the grizzling, still buries them though - his favourite place to do this is under my pillow  :005:
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 07:10:48 AM »
If I leave Nerys with a stuffed kong, she ignores it till I get home (I leave her separate from Will) and then has a go at it.  However, if I give her a cardboard box with some treats in she has great fun with it and there are bits of cardboard everywhere when I get home.  I would love to know what goes on in her head! (Peter says nothing, there is just an empty space  :005:)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 11:38:39 AM »
 :005:Thanks for the replies...it is nice to know my dog is not alone.I know in the wild they would bury things to save until later but this seems  different in that he doesn't just go outside and bury it in the garden but seems really upset about what to do with it. I would have thought his crate would have been a good idea but he just carries it in and out crying. I think we will just do without for now and use little treats that can be ate at once!

Offline seaangler

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
Just goes to show you female dogs/cocker's are more intelligent than male dogs ;) ph34r

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 08:37:30 PM »
Misha used to do this when she was an only dog.  It seemed as if she really wanted it but just wasn't hungry,and couldn't find a good safe place to leave it.  Quite often I'd find them under sofa cushions.  As soon as Roly arrived and then the other two dog everything is eaten as soon as it is given, and if she really doesn't want it she'll just sit with it to make sure any of the other dogs doesn't get it.  Sometimes she seems quite relieved when I take it back.

That describes William perfectly when he was an only dog and how he is now with Louis.