Author Topic: Barking at us  (Read 1026 times)

Offline YvonneC22

Barking at us
« on: September 21, 2012, 05:48:08 PM »
Can anyone help

Alex has started barking at us after commands, he'll hide under the sofa and when he's told to "get out" he just lies there with his nose poking out barking!
He'll chew the kids feet and when we tell him to leave he'll bark and run off
He goes upstairs (even though he's not Allowed) and sit on the top step, I stand at the bottom and tell him to "get down" but he just barks constantly while im telling him until I have to go upstairs and physically carry him down!

I know he is probably trying to be the dominant one but how do I control it?

Thanks
Yvonne xx

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Re: Barking at us
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 05:52:59 PM »
Tempt him out from under the sofa or down the stairs with a treat, and tell him what a good boy he is when he comes to get it -distract him with a toy or even another treat when he goes for the kids feet. Lots and lots of over the top praise when he does stop.

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 06:15:14 PM »
Ive tried, if I sit on the floor infront of the sofa with toys and treats he just sticks his head out and barks!
The only thing he will respond to is the clicker??

Just dont want to start doing the wrong thing and make a total mess of his behaviour

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »
How old is your dog?
How long have you had him?

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:48:54 PM »
He's 16 weeks and we have had him 5 weeks.
He just seems to be trying to be dominant but obviously I dont want that and I want him to learn to do as he is told

Offline Juno

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:16:43 PM »
Pack/dominance theory is totally outdated and regarded as nonsense by those who know their stuff ;)  There's a great link explaining it that Karma has posted before, I'll find it and edit it in...

16 weeks - he's still a baaaby :luv:

Play biting (the kids feet/anything/everything) is all part of his puppyhood.  It's perfectly normal puppy behaviour.  He's testing his surroundings and exploring with his mouth, it's what they do :D  Don't tell him off for this but teach him what IS appropriate.  If he's bitey, use big soft toys and encourage him over to play with those instead - you will probably have to play too as they're not much good at entertaining themselves at that age!  How old are the children?  If they are old enough, ask them to stand dead still if Alex starts biting/mouthing - if they squeal or make a fuss or move it just makes it more exciting for him (it's hard, I know!).  Supervise all playtime between pup and kids - safer for both.

Can you put a babygate on the stairs to stop him going up?  I have one and my dog's 18 months old.  I could probably train her not to go up without one but it's so much easier to just use a gate.  He also probably doesn't really understand that "get down" means you want him to come down the stairs.  

Try to ignore the barking - if you just walk away he's likely to follow you out of sheer Cocker nosiness.  Reward him (treats/cuddles/playtime/whatever he likes) when he's quiet and he'll soon cotton on.  Pups are like little sponges for learning :luv:

Edit: great link posted many times on COL about puppy biting: http://www.scallywagsdogs.com/Images%202010/puppy%20biting1.pdf
Pack theory: http://www.apbc.org.uk/articles/why-wont-dominance-die it's quite long but worth a read. 

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »
Thank you soooo much for that information and it all makes sense  :lol:

My kids are 8+6 so are old enough to help with the training.

I was contemplating a baby gate

Thanks again

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 09:20:39 PM »
It's also best not to let him go up and especially not down stairs at his age - it can put a lot of strain on his young bones and joints.

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »
It's also best not to let him go up and especially not down stairs at his age - it can put a lot of strain on his young bones and joints.

Yeah, he can only get up if the kids leave the door open! I don't like him being up there.
Think I need to get a baby gate

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 09:27:47 PM »
Yvonne - you sound as if you need a very large glass of wine tonight!

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 09:32:47 PM »
Already on it!! Ha ha

I'm ok now, Alex is cuddled on my knee fast asleep........ Just realised why the phone hasn't been ringing, all this hiding under the sofa.......... He's chewed the phone wire!!

Oops new purchase tomorrow  ;)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 10:24:08 PM »
Puppies are sent to try us, I'm going through it again for my sins with my own 12 week old boy. Forget the dominance rubbish have patience, expect your pup to plenty of stuff you don't like, don't set up any confrontations and be smart. Try and always have something your puppy wants. Control what your dog wants and you control your dog. Have fun.
Puppies are haaaaaaard work but they learn and if you play it right they come out the other side and become the dog you always wanted in most cases.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 10:29:17 PM »
Already on it!! Ha ha

I'm ok now, Alex is cuddled on my knee fast asleep........ Just realised why the phone hasn't been ringing, all this hiding under the sofa.......... He's chewed the phone wire!!

Oops new purchase tomorrow  ;)

Jem chewed through the cable of my laptop charger (not plugged in). I ordered another from Amazon and waited a week for it. When it arrived she kindly chewed the new cable in three places before I got home. The next one was sent to OH's work!  :005:

You've got to love 'em!
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
Doh  :lol:

They don't know any different at this age  ;)