Author Topic: Help Please - my cocker scared of all other dogs.  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Lovely

Thank you
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 02:58:34 PM »
Just an idea, it may be crazy, but you could try contacting your local PAT (pets as therapy) group as in my experience the guys with the dogs that visit people like to help out in any way they can. You could explain that you want to gradually introduce lily to a very calm dog, as the PAT dogs need to be very well behaved. You never know, they may be able to put you in touch with someone?
Ali

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Help Please - my cocker scared of all other dogs.
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 03:00:17 PM »
Hi there,
What a horrible thing to happen to
you and Lily :luv:
I just wanted to say that if you are
looking for behaviourists you may be
advised to ask for a recommendation
on here or look at Apdt for someone
as there are a few "organisations"
whose methods are a bit questionable.
Here's a linky ;www.apdt.co.uk/
steffxxx

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 03:05:19 PM »
My Ellie is dog aggressive but only when she is on a lead, so it is worth bearing in mind that dogs can be worse if they are on a lead (ie they can't escape).  Ellie isn't interested in other dogs but if they approach her when she is on a lead she will lunge for them, she barks continuously if they are too close.  By contrast when she's off lead she is so much better, because she isn't interested in other dogs she tends to move away from them, however if they get too close to say her ball (most prized possession) she will go for them and it doesn't matter what size of dog.

She can be quite intimidating to other dogs and it took over a year to be able to train and run her successfully in flyball competitions.  Now when we're at competitions we have to stand slightly apart for others and she seems fine when just walking on lead with others - ie, you need to keep moving as soon as you stop you can expect an outburst.  I have yet to pinpoint why she reacts in the way that she does, but it does seem to be partly possessiveness over me I think and also her lead  :dunno: though she doesn't seem to show any aggressiveness to dogs in her family just dogs she doesn't know.  

Intially when she started competing she would aggressively chase after the dog that she would run into, but we've worked on that in training and discovered a dog running towards her at full pelt was scaring her so we started to feed her in from the side so that she couldn't see the other dog coming - gradually moving her to face the dogs head on, now she runs full on into other dogs without batting an eyelid, but I've only started doing that in the last month - she's realised that the other dogs don't want to hurt her, they're not interested in her.  

I think what I'm trying to say is that it can take a long time, involve lots of repetition in calm and controlled environments and watching for triggers (which are often not easy to see).  We still can't stand close to other dogs, but have noticed that her barking is different, not so aggressive but just general barking.  As she is a rescue I don't know her background, but she has changed a lot in 2 years, for the better I think, its just taken a bit of time.

ETA: as Lilly's attack happened when she was on lead you may find that she will be worse when she is on lead.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline ziggy9269

• Lily - My Sweet little Blue Cocker
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 03:22:22 PM »
I’ll give anything a try, and thanks again for your help and suggestions.

The reason I keep her on her lead is that if she is 'off-lead' and anything comes near I am scared of her attacking or biting the other dog, which I would feel so bad about. She really does go for them - awful. However, I do understand what you are saying. Thanks for your help  :lol2:

I find most people are very understanding and if I say that my dog does not like other dogs, they do call their own dogs back quickly or put them on their lead. There are a few, however, who ignore me and it ends up Lily Barking and barking, or screaming, or lunging at them  >:D and they just laugh - it really annoy’s me.

Oh to be able to a magic wand but I know that is not possible. If only.....

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 03:36:05 PM »
I've had my thinking cap back on Ziggy9269 & just thought it would be worth mentioning this....
When Nina was younger (up until at least 3.5 yrs old) she would sometimes rush up to other dogs whilst barking at them.  When she 1st started doing this it wasn't too long after her 1st attack (nowhere near as serious as Lily's).  I would try to distract her with a ball or a treat but occasionally i just couldn't get through to her.  The reason she did this was because she was scared, which logically doesn't make sense but some dogs do react this way. Anyway she did grow out of this behaviour. I wanted you to know that to give you some hope with Lily, that she may stop doing this in the future.  :D  As i said in my previous post though, she still does bark at other dogs/some people but very rarely if she is offlead.
Which has made me think (as Lily & Nina sound similar) that perhaps try Lily either on a long line or let her off lead as much as poss.  You can buy 10M long line's.  :shades:  Which also means you can safely practise recall too.  ;)
Just one other thing, as i mentioned Nina has GPRA & i'm not suggesting that Lily has anything wrong with her eye sight but it is probably worth getting her vision checked out too.  :-\
Does or has Lily ever hurt another dog?  I would guess not if she is anything like Nina.  It does sound that Lily is just giving a 'go away' signal to other dogs.  :-\
I just really wish that irresponsible dog owners stop to think about how much long term damage a dog can do another  :'(  It can cause so much heartache  :'(

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
You beat me to it Wendy, I was thinking that a long line woud be a good idea  :003:
She would still be able to communicate effectively,  but you will still have control if she decides to take things a step further  :D

Offline ziggy9269

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 05:58:56 PM »
Thanks for that..... I do have a lunge rein/line which I use on my horse  :lol:. It has a clip attachment on it so I guess this may be suitable yes? I am willing to give anything a try so I’ll use that tomorrow. She hasn’t hurt another dog and I do think that she is saying “go away” but I just scared that she’ll hurt another, just through being scared and not out nastiness.

Lily has her check up a few months ago, and I did ask the vet to check her eyes, ears, etc and they are perfect, so unlike Nina, she has great eyesight (especially for the visiting cat who torments her every morning in the back garden  :lol2:)

It is good to hear that it will get better - but of course it is going to take time and patience  :D  I have had 2 other cockers before Lily and nothing like what happened to Lily ever happened to them. It is so sad that I am left with the problem and Lily is left with her fear, whilst that scumbag will have totally forgotten about the whole incident, and his dog will very likely have done the same again. I don’t blame the dog at all - it's irresponsible dog owners, who think they are tough having bigger dogs, but do not spend time training with them.

It makes me sooooo angry >:D

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »
Ive just caught up with this , so sorry to hear what happened to lily, you must have been so traumatised and of course poor little baby too.
I would gladly meet you with Riley one day. Though he is very excitable so dont know if it would be a good idea.
He does love to just run round and round with another doggy though.
He is very gentle and only wants to play. Even if it was just for a 5 minute meet I would gladly come to meet  you.

I live literally right on the coast ? are you nearby? I have seen a man out with a blue roan down our way and also king george road area, wonder if any are lily?
Just let me know I could bring Riley to the bents park where I let him off to play (also if they are no other dogs )

Offline ziggy9269

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 06:47:03 PM »
Hi there Jane57.

That is so kind of you - thank you.

I live close to Harton Village and I tend to take Lily to Seaburn Beach. I do sometimes walk her around Harton, if I am working lates, as it is obviously too dark to go down to the beach then. I would be very willing to give it a try, as you say even 5 minutes to see how she reacts. She does bark constantly though - but just to start the process of getting her over her fear, would help.

Let me know when you could make it - and I’ll pop down. :)  I assume you’ll know Minchella’s at the sea front :D There is no rush though, so you let me know when and I’ll come down. I can only but try.

I think I am still traumatised over the whole thing to be honest.... I wish she wasn’t like this but I can understand her feelings completely

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 06:51:34 PM »
Hi there Jane57.

That is so kind of you - thank you.

I live close to Harton Village and I tend to take Lily to Seaburn Beach. I do sometimes walk her around Harton, if I am working lates, as it is obviously too dark to go down to the beach then. I would be very willing to give it a try, as you say even 5 minutes to see how she reacts. She does bark constantly though - but just to start the process of getting her over her fear, would help.

Let me know when you could make it - and I’ll pop down. :)  I assume you’ll know Minchella’s at the sea front :D There is no rush though, so you let me know when and I’ll come down. I can only but try.

I think I am still traumatised over the whole thing to be honest.... I wish she wasn’t like this but I can understand her feelings completely

Poor you and Poor Lily,
I can be out most mornings, I do know minchellas, we often sit out there even with Riley when he "behaves"
If one day next week you wanted to pop down as I dont often have car during week.
We could just meet for 5-10 mins to see how lily goes, I understand how hard this must be for both of you.
Riley is quite excitable though, but very very gentle.

Offline ziggy9269

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 06:56:59 PM »
Great!!

Just let me know when and I’ll pop down.... much appreciated. It’s worth a try isn’t it? Eve a few minutes. I used to be able to sit outside with Lily when she was a baby until the attack and after that I can’t. She just barks and barks, and I know I wouldn’t want to be sat enjoying a tea/coffee or an ice-cream with a barking dog next to me..

Thank you  :lol2:

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 07:11:22 PM »
Just another idea which might help. Have you heard of Tellington touch? It is various stroking methods which can calm a dog. There may be a practitioner near you or there is a book which makes the techniques easy to understand (Getting in Ttouch with your Dog). It wouldn't be a cure but might just be another tool to help :)
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 07:12:23 PM »
this is a great thread - I'll wait for the update on how you and Lily get on - what a fantastic site COL is with the generosity of people on here, it really has put a smile on my face this evening :D

Hope it goes well - and if not the first time, maybe the second time will be better x

I am feeling a bit guilty about mentioning Sal's dog - he's a rescue too and has never attacked anything before Pearl - she spends every Saturday with a trainer / behaviourist trying to help him, he is lovely otherwise - but she has a real issue over trust with him now  :'(

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 07:47:11 PM »
Just another idea which might help. Have you heard of Tellington touch? It is various stroking methods which can calm a dog. There may be a practitioner near you or there is a book which makes the techniques easy to understand (Getting in Ttouch with your Dog). It wouldn't be a cure but might just be another tool to help :)

Another great idea  :shades:
I learned how to do T Touch with a practioner....Nina loves it & yes i do think it helps calm her  :luv:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline ziggy9269

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »
Thanks for that Ruby, I’ll look into that too. Never heard of that before, but it obviously produces great results...I feel so much better after everyone’s help and lovely comments. Pearly, I completely agree, I think COL is great as you feel supported and not alone, in whatever owning a cocker brings up  :lol2:

I sometimes spend hours reading all the threads and looking at the lovely pictures. Some of the stories are sad but most really make me laugh and after a rotten day at work, it really chills me out  :lol2:

I will keep you all up-to-date on how Lily and I get on..... I am certain things will improve but it’ going to take time... maybe I will end up posting a picture of her sitting next to another dog one day  :lol2:

Fingers crossed.