Author Topic: Help Please - my cocker scared of all other dogs.  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Help Please - my cocker scared of all other dogs.
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 07:56:05 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about your poor little girl. I've no experience or real advice to offer but just wanted to send a  :bigarmhug: to you both. I totally agree with others who suggested a one on one with a behaviourist who is experienced with this sort of problem. If you can find one who has a totally trustworthy "stooge" dog who has perhaps helped with this kind of thing before then so much the better. Someone who is qualified and has experience will know exactly how, when and where is the best way to introduce Lily to another dog rather than risk trying by yourself. You may find that as you are naturally very anxious when you see another dog, she is picking up some of your anxiety too. A behaviourist may have ways to help with your anxiety and therefore help you pass a calm, relaxed atmosphere over to Lily? Just me musing out loud.

T touch is fabulous. Definately something to try. It has helped no end with Archie. I also use a pet remedy herbal plug-in diffuser in the house to calm him. It works really well. I don't think they do a collar version for out and about but I think Adaptil do a collar?

Good luck to you and Lily. We look forward to seeing the picture of her with her new best friend one day.  :luv:

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 07:57:27 PM »
This is the book;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Getting-Touch-Your-Dog-Performance/dp/1872119417/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354218917&sr=8-1

Like Ninasmum I did a course on Ttocuh. It was only half a day but has helped me to help my Ruby, who is car phobic. As I said, it isn't a cure but is another thing which can help.

Good luck :)
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline ziggy9269

• Lily - My Sweet little Blue Cocker
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 08:15:14 PM »
Thanks Ruby and Archie.

That’s great advice and I’ll be straight onto Amazon tonight.

I know I do get quite anxious when out with ‘Lil and a bigger dog lumbers over, my heart starts to race in the worry that a) it might attack and b) she’ll be frightened..... I completely agree that any animal can pick up on our fears. My horse Fly, knows when I am upset or anxious, and I do love him to bits but the little so-and-so can act up when he knows I am not 100%  :lol2:

I know after Lily was attacked I started to pick her up whenever a big dog came running over, so maybe my behaviour has not helped either. I thought I was protecting Lily and I think I have made the problem worse. I really hope I can help her.

It’s funny that you mention the plug-in - I was thinking about that possibility earlier today.

I’ll do anything for my little girlie  :luv:

Thanks for all the support and hugs too - I’ll pass them onto Lily (who is currently lying across my feet and I’m thinking "I really need to make a cup of tea but don't want to disturb her, as she look so comfy" - I’m too soft  :005:)

Offline hollie

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2012, 10:04:04 PM »
Hi my cocker Hollie is two and has been attacked three times in the past when she was a pup . Hollie became really bad out on her walks she would constantly bark at people I dare not stop and talk but my main concern was with other dogs . If she saw a dog she would run over and chase them away and constantly be barking really aggressively. I became so worried as I thought she might attack the dog also will not let anybody outside talk to her or stroke her . At home she is the most loving dog you could ask for brilliant with my granddaughter who I have been looking after since she was a baby now 20 months old with the family the same, very loving.  I was going to re home her as I thought I was making her worse , I was recommended to get her a behaviourist. I got intouch with Bark Busters ( big mistake ) he made her worse as I was told not to let her on my lap anymore , spray water at her if she pulled while out on lead walk , Hollie became even more nervous. Then one day in floods of tears as Hollie had been really bad on our walk that day ,on the Internet was again trying to find ways I could help her. I came across www.dogcommunication.co.uk two ladies called Penelope and Laura the best thing that could have ever happened to me . I sent an email explaining about Hollie also phoned them.I had to have Hollie checked out at the vets also fill out a long questionnaire regarding Hollie  then she had her assessment . Well what can I say they are brilliant Laura explained to me that Hollie is very nervous and anxious so when she chases and barks at other dogs its her only way to get in first and to tell them to stay away from her and no way is Hollie aggressive .  Hollie now goes to the shy guys group which is all done outside either on walks in a field with other shy dogs . They have different classes depending on your dog problems. Sorry I have gone on but I am so pleased with Hollie today while Hollie and I were out on our walk together we came across two small dogs and I did not  have time to walk the other way but to my surprise Hollie ran over to them had a sniff then run off to play with them. I had tears in my eyes as Hollie would not do that in the past . I still have a long way to go and it won't happen over night but on the right road now . I just thought I had to try and explain as I do understand how you feel and hope you are able to find somebody as good as I have for Hollie. Sorry for posting twice, the first was not meant to go. Brenda

Offline ziggy9269

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2012, 10:17:31 PM »
That is soo lovely for you and Hollie Brenda. Everything you have described is exactly what Lily is like. I can completely understand you having tears in your eyes, and to read that Hollie has made progress... that’s great news. A few weeks ago Lily was really bad when out for her walk - you when you think I wish I hadn’t gone out with her - and I cried when we got back in the car. The thing is, she sat next to me with her sad eyes as if to say “I am sorry mummy but I was so scared” and wiggled her little tail at me and held her paw up to me.  :016:She is such a sweetheart - I love her to bits.

My cousin’s fiancee, took her puppy - a little miniature dashund Arthur - to a puppy class, and never went back after the first session. The so-called professional sprayed the pups with water and encouraged people to hold their muzzles if they mouthed or barked at each other. I was disgusted when she told me, I can’t believe this goes on, and people who don’t know otherwise think this is the way to train young pups.   >:D

Thanks Brenda for your really encouraging story  :lol2:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 10:30:24 PM »
Brenda, I am welling up just reading your story. Well done you and Hollie. It just shows that with the right help, the seemingly impossible is possible.  :banana: :banana: :clapping: :clapping:

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »
Brenda, I am welling up just reading your story. Well done you and Hollie. It just shows that with the right help, the seemingly impossible is possible.  :banana: :banana: :clapping: :clapping:
Me too  :D
Janet & Poppy

Offline Lovely

Re: Help please - my Cocker is scared of all other dogs
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 06:51:57 AM »
I keep thinking about you and lily, maybe cos me and my terrier spud got attacked by a larger dog once but it was me that got injured when i intervened. I wondered what lily is like on her own patch like in her garden with  other dogs? Also what she's like if walked by someone else like is she protecting you? Lastly just wondered if she would be more comfortable at first sniffing a dog through a barrier like a fence? Dunno just trying to come up with suggestions!
Ali

Offline ziggy9269

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »
Hi Lovely.

She is exactly the same in her own garden. Growing, barking and just ‘sticks’ herself to me.... it’s so sad isn’t it when this happens. I think its a bit of being scared herself and trying to protect me as the dog was attacking me too.

Yes, perhaps she would be more happy sniffing through a fence at first.... So, so hard  >:(

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 02:05:01 PM »
Hi Lovely.

She is exactly the same in her own garden. Growing, barking and just ‘sticks’ herself to me.... it’s so sad isn’t it when this happens. I think its a bit of being scared herself and trying to protect me as the dog was attacking me too.

Yes, perhaps she would be more happy sniffing through a fence at first.... So, so hard  >:(

Hi ziggy, I had riley down at the bents park today, he was the only dog in there, maybe we could meet down there soon? even for just a few mins, , We could "accidently" meet lol

Offline Lovely

Re: Help please - my Cocker is scared of all other dogs
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »
I'm sure you'll get there in the end, it's obvious how much you love lily and she obviously loves you! I know how you feel about getting tense, i still tense up if a big male black lab approaches, even though i try not to and i used to keep labs! Spud has recovered well though x
Ali

Offline ziggy9269

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 01:09:25 PM »
That would be great Jane57...just PM me and you want to meet and we can  :lol: - we went for our morning walk to the beach (FREEZING- I ended up with a nose like Rudolph) and there was only 2 other dogs there. Lily was such more relaxed and then obviously more people arrived with their pooches and you can see she’s scanning the area, tensing up .... an older, absolutely lovely Lab toddled over to us and she wasn’t too bad... she ‘wuffed’ a little bit but it was lovely to her not panicking as usual  :lol2:

I know it’s speed, anything fast she feels threatened by.

Thanks Lovely - I think we will. I feel so much happier now. It has been stressing me out so much, and talking about it has helped a great deal too... glad Spud has done so well - LOVE the name by the way  ;)

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 08:22:31 PM »
In this month's Many Tears Rescue newsletter, there is a story about a collie called Herbie who was attacked by another dog whilst on a walk.  This destroyed his confidence and the once happy go lucky, confident happy dog, was reduced to a nervous wreck who was scared of other dogs.  His owner tried everything but after 9 months had got nowhere.  Sylvia at Many Tears suggested accupuncture and after a few treatments Herbie is back to his normal happy self.

Offline ziggy9269

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 09:12:28 PM »
That sounds amazing countrygirl...I’d certainly give it try.... I will do anything for little girl

Thank you  :003:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
I have to admit that I haven't read through all the replies so don't know if these have already been suggested. From my experience of Millie being dog reactive on lead and hyper vigilant with regard to hunting and chasing I have found this book had some helpful tips http://controlunleashed.net/book.html

Also from a calming supplement I've found Zylkene quite affective http://www.zylkene.co.uk/

Millie