Author Topic: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens  (Read 5127 times)

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens
« on: April 01, 2009, 06:20:39 PM »

anyone got it? how are you getting on with it and where did you find it cheapest.?
amazon are selling it at £309.99. free Pand P

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1.4-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 06:23:46 PM »
that's funny - spoke to someone this morning about exactly that Jean and the camera shop advised him to buy the cheap f1:8 and try it (he has a Canon 1d) - if he wasn't happy they would exchange it at full price for the f1:4....

He's got the 1:8 and is glad he hasn't spent the extra money....

so up to you really  :D ;)

meant to say, what do you want the lens for?  If it's for low light shots inside then invest in a flash and a f1.8 - flash can be used with all your lenses and it's good fun....

f1.8 - flash

and f1.8 no flash

this is 28-135mm lens & flash

helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 07:54:19 PM »
I've got the 1.8 II rather than the USM, sure it's not as good but not a bad lens for the price http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005K47X

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 08:30:29 PM »
I've also got the 50m F1.8 MK II lens

yes its more plasticy than the 1.4, and its got a noisier auto focus, but it is pin sharp, F1.8 is more than enough for what I use it for, its great in low light and is a lot cheaper (about £70-80 to buy new)

the nifty fifty as its known has a great following and is worth almost as much 2nd hand as new, so if you did get it, love it, but then decide you realy needed the extra stop to F1.4 then you could sell it for almost what you paid for it

question realy is ... what do you want to use the lens for ?

Phil

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 08:31:40 PM »
the main difference is the build quality of the lens - the 1.8 feels more 'plastic-y' - it really does depend what you want it for and how much you'd use it.  Personally it would be the 1.8 for me and more money to put towards a posh zoom in time  ;)

I couldn't justify £300 for something I like but wouldn't use all the time (unlike the 28-135 that I use all the time  ;) )
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 09:03:04 PM »
I have the 1.8 for the same reasons already given - I'd rather spend more money on a faster zoom for action shots. I don't use this lens that often I have to admit, I've found it works best in conjunction with flash/studio lighting and I'm not that into taking indoor portrait shots but I've had a few nice studio photos out of it along the lines of those Helen posted. As already said it depends what you want to do with it and how much you think you'll use it as to whether the extra investment is worth it or not. What other lenses do you have and where do you want it to fit into your existing kit?
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 09:37:55 PM »
Is this the camera you all recommend? if so who was the best company you brought it from and what extras do I need?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »
Is this the camera you all recommend? if so who was the best company you brought it from and what extras do I need?

this is one of the lenses you can use with the camera - we all have slightly different ones...

I think Phil & Jenny use a Canon 350d
Jean and I have a 400d (I think Jean does...)
and Nicola has a 50d (which I am very jealous of)

the latest model is due out so the 350d's and 400d's will be dropping even further in price so you will be able to get quite a good deal.

The very expensive bit will be the lenses..........  ph34r :shades:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 09:48:46 PM »
So I'm looking for a Canon 50d?? Or is this the lens? I'm officially camera thick!  ph34r

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 09:52:48 PM »
So I'm looking for a Canon 50d?? Or is this the lens? I'm officially camera thick!  ph34r

No, I wouldn't go for a Canon 50d for my first DSLR - a 350d or 400d maybe, and I think Debsallen has just got the 1000d so pm her about that one.

I've had mine nearly 2 years and I'm still learning how to take pics - they are fabulous but there's a lot to it, so don't expect to be David Bailey in one sitting  ;) :-* (2 sittings maybe  ;) )

The EF50mm in the title is one of the lenses you can get  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 10:04:05 PM »
I think I'm finally getting it!!  ph34r So I'm going to go for for the canon 400d!! We need a new camera so I'd rather get a decent one if I'm going to pay the money!
May be emailing you for some lessons though on how to use it though!  ph34r

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 10:10:24 PM »
400d is an excellent choice, the new latest (500) has just been released, so the 450 and 400 will be coming down in price very soon, if not already

I would suggest going into a camera shop and physicaly holding the camera and the equivilent nikon etc, to make sure you get something that feels right to you

I've got a canon and know many people with them, but also know people with nikon's who rave about them, theres always some banter between canon and nikon owners, however whats important to you is what feels right in your hand, coz if it dont feel right, then that will effect how you take pictures

ps, its often cheaper online, but well worth a trip to a store to go play
also consider 2nd hand from places like london camera exchange (they have stores all over the country)

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »
Thankyou! Brace yourself people for alot of photos of Harvey!! b ph34r ph34r

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 11:16:24 PM »
Regarding the lens,

I agree with Helen the 50mm 1.8 is a much better buy especially if you can get hold of a second hand MK1 model (it has a metal lens mount, is of superior build quality and is optically better than the MK2) expect to pay £50-80 on ebay for a clean example.

As Helen says the 28-135is  is a much better proposition than the 50mm 1.4 if the money is burning a hole in your pocket, it has optical image stabalisation built in to boot although this can ruin as many shots as it saves if you forget it is turned on.

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 01:40:58 AM »
Ive got the 28-135 and use it all the time, got it a year ago. my 75 - 300 has been  mostly ditched and the kit lens has never hardly been used. this 50 mm prime lens is for indoor shots mainly where flash is not always acceptable and with a 1.4 more than fast enough to deal with most things ill ask of it. I did look at the 1.8 it felt a bit rattly so am tempted to save up for the 1.4 . Im not after an L lens. ( tho id love one or two) I cant justify the expense.
 however this june I will be 50 and I will have to think of things I want to get for my birthday.. this may be one thing i will ask for. ;)