Author Topic: microsoft security essentials help UPDATE now urgent!  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
microsoft security essentials help UPDATE now urgent!
« on: January 12, 2013, 09:19:49 AM »
Does anyone use this?  I've been using this for ages now and found it really good, however yesterday it said I needed to do a full scan as there was a virus putting my pc at risk.  I did that and it said the computer was clean, however it said it couldn't run updates and to check the internet connection.  Well I messed around for a bit as you do  ;) and couldn't get it to work, but I am a bit of a muppet when it comes to computers and my usual solution is to turn everything off, then turn it on in the morning and hope its all magically solved itself  ph34r

This morning I am geting an error message that says 'security essentials can not update as this service has been turned off by the security administrator'  
Please can anyone advise me???  If all else fails can I take it all off through the control panel and then reload it - would that help??

Thank you   :-* :-*

Offline Sula

• Raisin
Re: microsoft security essentials help please
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 11:09:44 AM »
I have this product and at the moment there are no issues. When I went in to it and clicked on the help button it took me to this page

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/microsoft-security-essentials-help#microsoft-security-essentials-help=windows-7&v2h=win7tab3&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

If you paste that into your browser you can go through the troubleshooting part and hopefully that will allow you to sort the problem.

Offline siam

• Site Member
Re: microsoft security essentials help please
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 01:39:09 PM »
I use Microsoft Security. Was your Microsoft Security icon at red or orange when it asked you to do the full scan? Hopefully the link Sula has given you will help you solve the problem but I had a virus that opened a box which mimicked Microsoft Security and when I clicked on it it allowed the virus onto my computer. This was not because of any failure on Microsoft Secs but because I'd a tendency to put mine into standby mode instead of closing down and so I didn't have all the Microsoft Security updates. I now do a full shut down every other time.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: microsoft security essentials help UPDATE now urgent!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »
Think Siam is right and it was a virus  >:D as I can not get onto the help bit or onto Microsoft at all.  I have tried to get on to other sites with free down loads and they are all being blocked but I can get onto col and stuff like amazon.   in a panic I have taken Microsoft security off but now have no security software on my comp and can't download any.  What is worrying me a lot is that yesterday I had an issue with my online bank account and it asked me for my whole password and security info which I didn't put in but spoke to the bank who said not to worry, but they couldn't say why it had happened they just kept saying they would never ask for all that info - but they did!  So it has to be connected somehow.

So help please - what should I do now. I'm using my iPad now and have switched the pc off. How can I get some security and get rid of whatever I have got?

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:12:07 PM »
Go to microsoftweb site and send them a email regarding problem.they will answer either by phoneoremail. They are really helpful and it is free. Helped me when I had problem with mse.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 09:14:05 PM »
AVG do a free one, not sure if that's any help atm though  :-\

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 09:19:15 PM »
My computer won't let me go onto the Microsoft site  :-\  if I look at the site on the iPad to get the email address and then email from the PC is that safe with no security on it?  I can't email from my iPad as its a work iPad and not yet set up for email. If its safe I could email them and ask them to phone me and talk me through what to do
Thank you

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 09:25:26 PM »
AVG is good, I used it for a long time and it was fine but changed to Microsoft Security on my son's advice (he is an IT engineer).  I would reinstall Microsoft Security - it can still protect your computer- maybe you missed some updates which allowed a virus in. It's the virus which fools you into thinking it's Microsoft Security that may have caused you your current problem. I would send an email to the Microsoft website as MIN has suggested in the meantime but if it's anything like the virus I had it required some pretty heavy fixing. Hopefully you haven't the same virus I had, but if you know anyone in the know IT wise you might need their help. My son fixed mine, but it's not something that can be passed on for DIY use.

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 09:42:23 PM »
Could your PC be started in safe mode, it would do two things: enabling you to access your files (to back them up if necessary), or the reverse...to download a program either on iPad (tho appreciate if it's works this may be impossible) or to borrow someone else's PC to download the program (AVG, MSE) onto a memory stick or hard drive, enabling you to put the stick or drive into your PC in safe mode...re-start as normal and scan??

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »
Thank you for your advice I wish I had left the security on now, but I panicked.  I will email Microsoft tomorrow and beg for help  ph34r I wish I was more computer literate.  This all frightens the life out of me.  What about if I bought some security eg currys have norton and macafee (not sure of spelling) in the sale at £20 would that get rid of the virus do you think, or at least give me some security while I sort this all out

Whoops just seen Beeboo's post.  Don't laugh hysterically at my ignorance but how on earth do you start a computer in safe mode.  Also if I do download some security onto my iPad which I would be allowed to do, then would I just plug it in like I do to down load photos and would it tell me how to upload the security software onto my PC I know some people shouldn't be left alone with a computer  with the lack of skill I have :005:

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 10:01:36 PM »
Also if I do download some security onto my iPad which I would be allowed to do, then would I just plug it in like I do to down load photos and would it tell me how to upload the security software onto my PC I know some people shouldn't be left alone with a computer  with the lack of skill I have :005:

Not at all, I think they make it annoyingly confusing to make money  ph34r ph34r
Yes you're right with that - from a mem stick/hard drive/the iPad you just plug the USB cable into the PC, copy the program over to your PC and away you go...
Am certainly not laughing, what version Windows are you using? Think you switch PC on and hold ''F8'' down till it comes to a ''rebooting'' screen, there you can pick ''Safe Mode'', it will look very bizarre tho!
Hope this helps http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

McAfee is quite good, but I (and others I'm sure) wouldn't recommend Norton. FWIW I think £20 isn't that bad, as with Mc you'll get 12 months of support with constant ''new virus threat'' updates, keeping ahead of the cons...

Good luck :) :)

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 10:03:58 PM »
If you google safe mode on your ipad it will tell you in steps how to do it, but you'll need to add after safe mode which version of windows you have, XP, windows 7 or windows 8 (the latter is very recent). If you're having trouble accessing the Microsoft security site, don't spend £20 buying security form PC World. Go onto the AVG site and download their free security - it will be quite adequate.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 10:15:24 AM »
Believe me Bens mum there is no one on earth that is more numbty with computers than me  :embarassed:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Sula

• Raisin
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »
I was wondering if it was a mimic virus and sorry to hear that it was  :'(

My son had that and after googling it on my pc I downloaded a fix and new software and managed to clean the virus off and replace the security software. I only use Microsoft Essentials now, both Norton and MacAfee are liable to slow computers down - but tbh  use anything that you are comfortable with and if you can use a USB stick to load it on then great.

Oh - and once you are certain all is clear re do ALL of your passwords!