Author Topic: Changing printer from wifi to wired  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Changing printer from wifi to wired
« on: February 03, 2013, 10:23:43 AM »
Following on from my recent problems with a horrible virus that wiped out my old computer  >:D I now have a shiny new computer and printer and have made the move to Windows 8 which I love.
My new HP printer is a slight pain as I set it up to work on Wi-Fi and I find that every so often for no apparent reason it is 'offline'  even though it is showing as connected. 

I have bought a cable to go back to wired printing as I can then be certain that it will always be ready to print and I don't have to mess around trying to get it back online.  My question is that I can find lots of info about how to change your printer from wired to Wi-Fi but nothing on how to do the reverse.  I put the cable in but obviously it is still working on the Wi-Fi as that's how I installed it and I am not sure what to do.  Do I uninstall the printer and start from scratch or is there another way of doing this??  Any help appreciated thank you   :luv:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: Changing printer from wifi to wired
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »
Think there should be an option on the printer to allow you to turn off wifi on the printer itself? With mine you had to tell the printer what network to connect to etc and enable it to connect.
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 11:14:59 AM »

If you don't 'un-install' first the system knows it's already loaded up.
Remove the printer from your system and install the disc following the onscreen messages.

Hope this helps ;)

Mel.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 01:05:31 PM »
I also have an HP printer (copier/scanner/printer) and find if it lays dormant too long, I have to turn it off and turn it back on - to wake it up.  :shades:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.