Author Topic: i-pad, another question  (Read 3858 times)

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
i-pad, another question
« on: February 07, 2013, 03:50:09 PM »
Does an Apple i-pad still have to run a security anti virus such as Norton?.
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
Re: i-pad, another question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »
I dont have it on mine and never had a problem. Works on the same system as your i phone. Even mac's dont need it though I do have one on there

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 04:13:22 PM »
Haven't got anything on mine, haven't had any problems.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 04:34:29 PM »
We were looking at a mac yesterday apparently apple now advise extra security such as Norton. They have had problems and no longer guarantee that you won't have problems.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline JohnK

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 04:36:07 PM »
I have Sophos on my Mac. If you have a card for Costco, Mac's are cheaper in there

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 04:38:07 PM »
Thanks John, much cheaper?
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline JohnK

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »
Generally £50 - £75 cheaper. Just had a quick look online and they haven't any showing, but they always have them instore. I got an iPad for my daughters mil and that was £25 cheaper

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 04:43:30 PM »
Thanks John.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Macette

• Lexi
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 05:36:09 PM »
iPads don't have security but you can use a security software with mac I have sophos free on my mac...

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 05:53:57 PM »
Clamxav is one of the best free anti virus for Mac although the newer systems have their own security software built in.
Be sure to regularly use Software Update to install the latest system security updates to the built in security system. This can be set to check automatically and download any updates.
iOS, as used on the iPad, iPhone and iPod is inherently safe when used with Apps downloaded from Apple's App store. Problems occur when people have had their phones "Jailbroken" which can negate the security system, or have downloaded Apps online and not from the App store.
Having said that, in more than 30 years of fairly intensive professional Mac use I've never had a virus and have only come across one on a client's machine which was contained in a MS Word document that had been loaded on a USB memory stick from a PC.
The best place to buy Macs is from the Apple store but look in the "Refurbished" section. These machines are actually better than new as they've had a full diagnostic check carried out, any out of spec parts replaced and come with the same length of warranty as a new machine. Up to 20% savings in some cases.

Bob.

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »
iPads don't need security software viruses etc cannot be installed its impossible on iOS devices  :blink:

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 06:28:08 PM »
Sorry, but in the IT world, nothing's "Impossible". New vulnerabilities are being reported every week or so.

iOs is about the safest system out there but Apple themselves have recently introduced new security measures comprising a set of additional security questions following on a breach of the iTunes store security.

Bob.

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 07:11:51 PM »
Sorry, but in the IT world, nothing's "Impossible". New vulnerabilities are being reported every week or so.

iOs is about the safest system out there but Apple themselves have recently introduced new security measures comprising a set of additional security questions following on a breach of the iTunes store security.

Bob.

iTunes is a completely different thing, it's an application, apps on iPads generally work independently, their is no overall file manager on an ipad. Viruses made for Macs & pc's run on a completely different system from iOS so can no way be transferred. Their is no need to download virrus protection to your ipad as your updates have you covered. Unless your iPad is jailbroken your safe as sausages.
If you can find me a known virus on an iPad I shall eat my cockers left lug  :005:

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »
If you ever shop in an Apple shop make sure you ask about discounts. They have a folder of codes that cover about every eventuality via jobs, students, courses etc. generous discounts as well. 30% off hardware & 20% software.
Just don't be afraid to ask
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »
Def' going to get myself an i-pad and I was was worried in case I needed something like Norton which seems to work overtime on my laptop. Thanks for all your help. Pip, I don't think I am as cheeky as you, I never ask for discounts. I could do with you coming shopping with me :lol:
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet