Author Topic: Digi Camcorder Recommendations  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Digi Camcorder Recommendations
« on: October 09, 2005, 04:34:22 PM »
Hi all

Not sure if this is the right place for this - maybe should be on shopping?  <_<

Anyway, my family are (very kindly) buying me a digital camcorder for my b'day and they want to know which one I want.  Problem is, I've never owned one before so don't really have a clue.

I've used the school camera - Canon MV830 - which is fine (easy to use and reasonably priced) but I have nothing to compare it to.  I have had a look around some sites and compared various makes and models but am no nearer making a decision  :wacko:

My stills camera is a Sony - I'm happy with it and will probably go with a Sony again when this one gives up the ghost - so had the Sony DCR-HC32E on my short list for digital camcorder.  But again, I've not had a chance to use one so don't really know how good it would be.

Any recommendations or warnings of what to stay clear of would be great!  ;)  :D

thanks

Shirleyx
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 05:29:49 PM »
I've got a Sony digital camcorder which takes stills as well, this is my third Sony and it wont be my last, I think they are great!

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 06:18:02 PM »
Sounds good - Which one have you got, Sharon?  

I don't want anything 'top of the range' - I'm just starting out and not fussed about too many gadgets.  If I save a little on the camera I can get a good carry case, extra batteries, etc as part on my pressy.  Also, I don't have a DVD writer on my PC so will need to sort that out as well  :unsure:

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 06:18:11 PM »
Good topic Shirley as I wish I'd had one for the puppies :-( anyway I would still like one :-)

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 07:41:47 PM »
Ian bought me a camcorder for my Xmas last year.  It's the Sony one that records directly onto a DVD instead of a tape which is brilliant for me as I'm rubbish at transferring things and using all sorts of cables and leads for the tv  :ph34r:  :lol: .  I think it's this one.  Our holiday video turned out brilliant, and it's dead easy to use (thankfully :D .)

You can't go wrong with Sony IMO.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline paulb

• Site Member
    • http://barney.moonfruit.com
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 08:20:12 PM »
we recently  bought a sony digital camcorder, what is great about it, i can take a days footage onthe camcorder and there is a great device to edit automatically, brill,

love it,

:)
Barneys Website

With Best Wishes, Paulb, Evonne ,Ollie, Alice and of course the great Barney

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 10:21:08 PM »
Ive gota Sony Digicam too.

I can't remember the model number but it wasn't a cheap one! Its tiny and very easy to operate...I had a Hi8 camcorder previously by Sony and that was great too..

JUst wish I used it more when the doggies were pups

Janey

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 09:22:24 AM »
I have the DCR-TRV60E, lovely camcorder, not too big, nice to handle.....it's here if you want more info.  Sony DCR-TRV60E  not cheap though

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 09:08:43 PM »
I have the DCR-TRV60E, lovely camcorder, not too big, nice to handle.....it's here if you want more info.  Sony DCR-TRV60E  not cheap though
[snapback]151032[/snapback]

Wow, Sharon!  My family love me, but not that much  :lol:   Looks great, and maybe if I get a bit of practice and find that I use it a lot, I might aim for something like that next.

How easy is it to edit the ones that record straight onto DVD?  Don't you need a new DVD every time you use it? Sorry, that's probably a stupid question  :huh:

Gilly, ever since Morgan was a pup we've been talking about getting one but there was always something else we needed more  :rolleyes:   I have the short mpeg clips from my stills camera but the quality isn't great.  

Sounds like Sony is really popular and no bad reports so far  :)  good, good!

Thanks for the replies so far - keep them coming  :D

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 10:15:28 PM »
I'm hoping to get one for crimbo so will be keeping an eye on this thread.  

PS I don't think my family love me that much either, Shirley :lol:  :lol:  I think I'd be told where to go :lol:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 05:29:59 PM »
To be honest, it's more expensive now than when I bought it last year.....strange that.  I paid £799

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 05:03:51 PM »
Once the film has been edited (or not) you can transfer it onto pc or regular DVD, then scrub the disc and start again if you use the re-writable type of disc.  Just like using a tape  :D .
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 10:18:58 AM »
I can't remember the model number but it wasn't a cheap one! Its tiny and very easy to operate...I had a Hi8 camcorder previously by Sony and that was great too..
[snapback]150986[/snapback]
Mine is a Sony PC 350 E

Its great...

Jane

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 11:47:51 PM »
Have only just caught up with this thread and I too am looking for a new camcorder too.  The one I have at the mo is a Sony Video 8 thingumyjiggy, but it's nearly seen the end of its day.

Went out tonight to look at the DCR HCE 19E.  The man in the shop told me that if the top bit of the camera is a shiny finish, it has better lenses and video will be of better quality.  The DCR HCE 19E has a non shiny top :lol:  but the HCE 32E has a shiny top  :lol:  :lol: he demonstrated them both and the HCE 32E is a lot better, especially as you don't notice the "hand wobble" so much.  It also has a nice little docking station.  

I am going to get my camcorder tomorrow.  Have you got yours yet?  let us know how you get on. :)   HAPPY VIDEO-ING[/font]
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 10:40:47 AM »
Hi There

Not got mine yet - have placed my order for the H32E  :D  but the meanies are  insisting on keeping it until my birthday next month  :angry:  :rolleyes:

The "hand wobble" bit sounds like a good feature - I'm bad enough with a stills camera and I don't even bother with the phone camera anymore - just get a blur every time :ph34r:

Let me know how it goes with yours so that I can reassure myself that I've made the right decision  :D

Shirley :)