Author Topic: Music Question  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Music Question
« on: November 12, 2005, 09:25:33 AM »
Please bear in mind I'm not 'with it' technically so please keep any jargon simple  :blink:  :rolleyes:  

When I copy a CD on to my lappy to down load to my MP3 it always crashes near the end of the process. I just wait a while then start again and it picks up the copy where it crashed out.

On transfering the copy to the MP3 it does the same thing, not at the same place.

Why does it do that - and is there anything I can do to stop it?  :blink:

It's am HP Pavilion ze5200 Pentium 4, 2.5GH, 192MB of RAM

Thanks

J  :)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Music Question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 11:31:20 AM »
I suggest you do not have enough RAM and you are filling it up then it's crashing. It picks it up from there after it's cleared the RAM and then cache through to your hard drive.

I'm presuming in the MP3 state it does it later on? If so then this probably confirms it's a RAM thing as MP3 is a compressed format.

Ipgrading your RAM should be fairly easy but as it's a laptop it's not quite as easy as on a desk top, I've never upgraded a lap top's RAM so couldn't tell you how to do it - sorry.

Edited - meant to add you should close down anything else that's running as that will eat up your RAM and see if that makes a difference too ;) For example, you can shut down Zone Alarm(firewall) and any anti virus as long as you're not connected to the 'net then restart them when you connect.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Music Question
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 12:50:12 PM »
Agree with Pammy 192mb is not alot of Ram. Take the advice she's given by closing as many programs as possible.

If you find it is the Ram then I would be inclined to try and upgrade it yourself. Much simpler than you think too. If you need any advice on that let me know  :)

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Music Question
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 09:20:46 PM »
Thanks guys.

Ok Gilly - give me some pointers on increasing my RAM  :)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Music Question
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 11:15:16 PM »
You need to find out what kind of RAM you have and then what slots you have available as you may be able to add to what you have, or you may have to replace what you have with a bigger RAM stick.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Music Question
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 01:48:15 AM »
Try this tool by Cruicial by typing in which model etc of Pc you have. HERE This should tell you how many slots your PC has and will tell you exactly what kind of memory you need. Write ALL the information down that it gives you.

I would buy memory from EBuyer HERE

Your PC should have come with some kind of paperwork. Basically you are looking how to open the side of your machine, turned off obviously  ;) This guidse, with pictures should give you an idea of what and how to do it step by step HERE

You should see the memory slots as you will see your current memory card in there. Have a look to see how the 1st memory card is slotted in and then push the new one in the 2nd slot. clip it in with the clips. Put the side back on, reboot your PC and hopefully your PC should auotmatically recognise the new memory.

It may sound or look complicated but I swear it isn't and a machine like your could take at least 1gb of memory  ;) Also if you've got a built in graphics card this will be using up some of your 192mb of memory too.

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Music Question
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 02:55:27 AM »
Thank you so much - I'm not sure how my lappy opens, but the memory isn't nearly as expensive as I thought it would be, so I'll have a wee swatch later.

I'm in pain at the mo with these kidney stones or what ever it is I have and I'm sweathering whether or not to go to A&E, that's why I'm here so late.

Thanks again.

Jx

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Music Question
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 08:47:13 AM »
Fortunately those heavy duty painkillers are good and the pain subsided  :) , and you know what else? I had a look at the underside of my lappie and there's a wee door that says RAM, can you believe that? So I suspect thats where the access is  for the RAM  - smart ehh?

Think I'll have a wee shot at upgrading it by myself.

Thank you both heaps mwhhhhaaaaa  :)  

Ever thought of doing a class for the technically challenged amongst us, your good.

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Music Question
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 01:19:15 PM »
Sorry to be a complete pest, one more question, the one Crucial recommends is this one;

512MB—CT293532
DDR PC2100
CL=2.5
NON-ECC

for the price of - £35.99 ex. VAT   £42.29 inc

I think that's a pretty good price, should I just stick with that?  :unsure:

Janice (you very own internet stalker  :P )

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Music Question
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 02:03:33 PM »
Well I would have a look for the equivalent memory on Ebuyer....see the link I gave you above, I have found their prices really competitive  ;) Do you know by looking what make of Ram is in it at the moment???? I would go for Kingston or Crucial  :) though there are loads of cheaper makes.

By the way...everything I know about PC's is self taught  ;)

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
Music Question
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 04:55:36 PM »
Ebuyer -- My fav online shop...  Get crucial  :P
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Music Question
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 11:25:00 AM »
I done it  :D - thank you for all your help.

I bought a 512MB card so I'm running it along side the original 256MB one.

Once Crimbo is over I'll buy another 512MB card and that'll be the putter at full capacity.

Thanks again - your stars  :)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Music Question
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 11:38:48 AM »
Great!!! It's surprising how easy it is  :D
So the question is has it helped with your music??

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Music Question
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 11:51:13 AM »
Yes!! It was great  :)

I was even having problems running my virus protection, the programme would get so far them crash - that seems to be OK now too.

I'd never have tackled it before, but it was pretty straight forward, 'specially as my machine had a wee door on the under side of the putter saying RAM  ;).

I feel like a boffin now  :P

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
Music Question
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 04:55:37 PM »
Computers are really easy, you just have to be logical. If your ever stuck just do a google search, you'll find hours worth of reading.

Setting up wireless networks is what people are asking me to do atm, Internet service providers are charging silly money to come to your house and set it up. Just type in "how to set up wireless network" Sorted, most pages even tell you what the best hardware is.  :D Even a cocker could do it. :rolleyes:
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator