Author Topic: Internet Time Limit On Daughters Account?  (Read 4176 times)

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Internet Time Limit On Daughters Account?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 10:51:53 AM »
This may be really controversial so feel free to tell me to bogg off and mind my own business - especially as I dont have kids and nor do I want any  (used to be a teacher but they were only 6 yrs old!!)

Why do you want to restrict her time on-line?  Is it due to cost or something else?  If its cost then fine put a restriction on it.  If its that you think she ought to be doing something else with the time she spends on line then I'm not so sure.

There are loads of things I really ought to be doing right now but instead I'm 'wasting' time on here.  I could be doing housework, catching up with the pile of work on my desk, cleaning the car, going to Tesco's - any number of things but I'm not.  Is it any different for teenagers.

My only proviso would be that homework HAS to be done before time is spent on MSN, but apart from that there are much worse things she could be doing than spending time talking complete cobblers with her mates :lol:

JMO - no offence intended ;)
[snapback]171450[/snapback]

Chelsea is very sensible where MSN and the internet are concerned, well most of the time :lol:  I do have to ask her to get off the p.c from time to time. We have broad band so cost is not an issue. Chelsea does not go to school in Bimingham therefore she has a very long day, she doesn't get home till 5.00- 5.30 :o  a longer day than some adults work. By the time we have eaten there are only a couple of hours in the evening. GCSE work takes up a big chunk, and i would rather the rest of her time was not spent talking about " random  :lol:  " stuff online when there are lots of other things that need doing. I have no problem with some time being spent on line but I agree with Debbie 2 hours is more than enough  :)
I suppose it's a similar thing to putting a toddler infront of the t.v to amuse them, saves the parents having to do anything. I would rather my kids came and had a talk to me than sit talking to a computer screen, pity a few more parents weren't involved with their kids lives instead of leaving then to get up to what they like on the internet of hanging round the streets :(  I feel our kids time should be spent doing lots of different things not sat for hours infront of the p.c, or t.v for that matter :)
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 11:28:36 AM »
This may be really controversial so feel free to tell me to bogg off and mind my own business - especially as I dont have kids and nor do I want any  (used to be a teacher but they were only 6 yrs old!!)

Why do you want to restrict her time on-line?  Is it due to cost or something else?  If its cost then fine put a restriction on it.  If its that you think she ought to be doing something else with the time she spends on line then I'm not so sure.

There are loads of things I really ought to be doing right now but instead I'm 'wasting' time on here.  I could be doing housework, catching up with the pile of work on my desk, cleaning the car, going to Tesco's - any number of things but I'm not.  Is it any different for teenagers.

My only proviso would be that homework HAS to be done before time is spent on MSN, but apart from that there are much worse things she could be doing than spending time talking complete cobblers with her mates :lol:

JMO - no offence intended ;)
[snapback]171450[/snapback]

Chelsea is very sensible where MSN and the internet are concerned, well most of the time :lol:  I do have to ask her to get off the p.c from time to time. We have broad band so cost is not an issue. Chelsea does not go to school in Bimingham therefore she has a very long day, she doesn't get home till 5.00- 5.30 :o  a longer day than some adults work. By the time we have eaten there are only a couple of hours in the evening. GCSE work takes up a big chunk, and i would rather the rest of her time was not spent talking about " random  :lol:  " stuff online when there are lots of other things that need doing. I have no problem with some time being spent on line but I agree with Debbie 2 hours is more than enough  :)
I suppose it's a similar thing to putting a toddler infront of the t.v to amuse them, saves the parents having to do anything. I would rather my kids came and had a talk to me than sit talking to a computer screen, pity a few more parents weren't involved with their kids lives instead of leaving then to get up to what they like on the internet of hanging round the streets :(  I feel our kids time should be spent doing lots of different things not sat for hours infront of the p.c, or t.v for that matter :)
[snapback]171452[/snapback]
Thanks Tracy - couldn't have put it better myself!  (No offence taken either Sarah  :) )I too have broadband so cost isn't a problem.  
I just feel that when she is on line she's almost trance like.  Not a problem for 2 hrs max but the computer is on from breakfast time til bed time.  She isn't there all day but it must add up to four or more hours (think I'll try timing her to get a real picture).
I also agree that she could be doing worse things in life, but I'd like her to do a bit more with her spare time (and not get stroppy if something gets in the way of MSN)  :P I often 'make' her come for a walk and although she mutters and moans, we usually have a good time - this is about the only time we hold decent conversations as there are no distractions (apart from Ben of course).

Offline Morticia

• Site Member
    • http://cheekycockerspanielbubbles.piczo.com
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 01:37:39 PM »
My thoughts are with you and the trance like state.

Offline flossysmum

• Limited Member
    • Abilou Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 01:44:28 PM »
My mum has never put any kind of restriction on the comp but i bet she would if she could :unsure: I spend quite a lot of time on the comp but usually she's out most of the time. I dont go on msn that often anymore but i used to go on 24/7.

xxx Love Abi, Flossy, Charlie, Amber, Bertha and Ginny xxx

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006, 04:07:29 PM »

One of mine I just can't get off his PC. We have endless arguments about how long he should have.
For me it's not the cost it's the health issues. It's the lack of exercise versus the calorie intake and it's the harmful effects of too much electro magnetic radition on a child's body.
He loves his PC and says he'd only be sat infront of the TV or PS2  (which also give off EMR)if he wasn't on it .
He would rather play on his PC than go out, and his friends have given up calling for him!

Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2006, 06:16:05 PM »
He would rather play on his PC than go out, and his friends have given up calling for him!
[snapback]171538[/snapback]

:lol:  :lol:  :rolleyes:  :lol:  :P

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2006, 07:40:56 PM »
Well - this thread has upset the mother daughter relationship!!!!!!  I told her of the post and the replies - the only one she likes is yours sarahp  :D can't think why  :P She refuses to read it and does the 'I ain't bovvered' look!!!!

Good thing we love each other eh?   :lol:  :lol:

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2006, 07:54:18 PM »
the only one she likes is yours sarahp  :D can't think why  :P
[snapback]171647[/snapback]

Oooo eck!!!  Sorry Debs :ph34r:   Just point out that I'm some mad old bat from a bit further down the coast and that I spend most of my time talking complete cobblers therefore my opinion has GOT to be wrong :lol:  :rolleyes:

Edited to add - did she even agree about the homework part of the reply?  If so maybe all is not completely lost :blink:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2006, 09:40:58 PM »
Oooo eck!!!  Sorry Debs :ph34r:   Just point out that I'm some mad old bat from a bit further down the coast and that I spend most of my time talking complete cobblers therefore my opinion has GOT to be wrong :lol:  :rolleyes:

Edited to add - did she even agree about the homework part of the reply?  If so maybe all is not completely lost :blink:
[snapback]171652[/snapback]
The homework is a whole other issue!  Yes, she agrees that you're right ............. but put it into practice????  MSN comes first in her mind  :P

I don't think your opinion is wrong - but in my case I have real worries about normal life being thrown into disarry (spelt right?) by a computer. I'm a single working mum with a 13 yr old, 2 cats and a cocker!  At her age I think she should help a bit (wish I'd started it sooner), but more than that, I don't want her world to revolve around MSN and a web cam.  The web cam was my mistake  :huh: I bought her a digital camera for christmas which later proved to have webcam facilities  :unsure: She now sits at the computer but FIRST has to do the hair and make-up, then sit in a 'pose' - god help me if I speak or walk behind her  :D

She is a lovely girl most of the time, but the emerging teenage moods are made worse by the PC imo.

PS - as you're just down the coast - do you fancy babysitting (or teenage sitting) at all?  :D I could bring the teenage delinquent of cockers 'Ben' also to keep you company  :D

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006, 12:22:29 PM »
How old is she?

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 03:01:21 PM »
How old is she?
[snapback]171812[/snapback]
She's 13 - will be 14 in June.  I think I have a few more strops to go through yet if she takes after me! :P

Offline Black Angel's

• Site Member
  • Muffin
    • http://www.blackmajestys.com
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2006, 11:17:18 PM »
before 6 months my mom turned off internet  :lol:  cause i spent too much time on computer
Black Majesty-english cocker spaniel & grand basset griffon vendeen kennel

-> www.blackmajestys.com -<

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2006, 11:10:51 AM »
Doesn't AOL let you limit the time with the parental controls?