Author Topic: My Pc Has Died  (Read 2402 times)

Offline lyn

• Site Member
My Pc Has Died
« on: January 15, 2006, 10:54:58 PM »
on friday my pc died :( it just went dead and there seems to be no power(this happened when OH said friday the thirteenth was just another normal day)now what i need to know is could it just be the psu or the motherboard.i will have no idea how to replace the motherboard and also can i just use any mb or will i have to get a sunshine one like what is in there already?
please someone tell me it is most likely the psu as i think this will be easier to replace,though a friend said he could test his psu on ours but our cable had loads more wires(well ok about three more)he tried his but it didn't work but i am hoping thats coz his had fewer pins if that makes sense.i am using an old pc that is driving me insane as it is soooooo slow.it's only 64mb or something.mine is only 256 so i also want to upgrade it to at least a 512.any help muchly appriciated(sp)

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
My Pc Has Died
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 01:13:06 PM »
The only real way to test a PSU without equipment is to connect it to another pc and see if it turns it on. I assume there are no lights or fans coming on at all ??

Power supplies are easy enough to change and are not that expensive.

IMO if you've got no one local who can help, order a new power supply and fit it. If it dont work its most likely motherboard if nothing is coming on at all.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I have had one PC not turn on and it was the on/off switch. But if your pc died in use my money is on power supply.

If the new power supply does not work your gonna have to think hard about it to be honest.

Changing a motherboard is not the easiest thing to do at the best of times, you've got to find a compatible board thats the right size, will fit your case (CPU & fan sometimes clash with case) accepts your processor and memory (I.e. Intel, Amd and socket type) and if you get it done at a shop there going to charge a nice hourly rate.

The cost of a nice new Dell Pc which is a lot quicker that what you have now might end up costing you £100 more than getting yours fixed. All its all brand new and warranted.

If you get yours fixed and the harddrive goes or the cpu its more money to get it fixed and its still not as quick as a new one.

In short cos I`ve waffled on.

Buy a new power supply - If it dont work buy a new Dell Pc. If it does let me know and we`ll sort your memory out.

Dells cheapest PC will be more than good enough for what you want but let me know if you want any help choosing one.

Oh and no I dont work for Dell  :P  :P  Imo there the best on the market atm then HP.

Is this what your power supply looks like ?
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
My Pc Has Died
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 01:45:47 PM »
My computer has just came back from being fixed, it was the motherboard with mine, press power, the lights flashed as though starting but stopped at that.

Luckily we know a man that can, and for £90 he fitted us a new motherboard, a firewire card (I use for my camcorder) 6 extra usb 2 ports and a new outer case.

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
My Pc Has Died
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 01:52:17 PM »
Firewire is great  :D =D

Its easy when you know how...

I do a lot on the computer side for people as I hate seeing them get ripped off. If you ask around there is usually someone that can help who will just charge you for his time. BUT there are lots of nasty people preying on unsuspecting non-computer literate people.

The harddrive went in my in-laws pc so they took it to the same bloke who always sorts there pcs out. Replaced the harddirve reinstalled xp and sold them a LCD monitor. Cost them £400 - You can almost get a Dell laptop for that, a good dell Pc is about £400.

But turns out the graphics card wont run there new monitor above 800x600 res.

Thats all because they didnt want to bother me !!!

Makes me sooooo Angrey  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline lyn

• Site Member
My Pc Has Died
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 02:02:24 PM »
hey thanks all,think i am gonna get a new pc.the other one is only 14 months old so i am just annoyed it broke six weeks out of guarentee.sadly i paid 450.00 or 550.00 pounds for it just the tower i didn't get a package,so i am kicking myself for not having extended warrenty :( the next pc will end up costing an arm and a leg coz son is into counterstrike in a big way and is planning the next pc so it won't "lag" whatever that means :rolleyes: i really wanted a new greenhouse and exotic holiday for may/june but obviously can't have all three.my gut reaction is it's the motherboard and not the psu though the mb looks fine no leakages or burn marks but with the luck i have had lately it will prob be the prossesor.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
My Pc Has Died
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 02:03:50 PM »
I didn't intend having a new outer case, but I have a Sony Vaio computer and they have their own connectors, which only fit inside their own cases, but hey! £90 is excellent and it's all back and running great.

Offline lyn

• Site Member
My Pc Has Died
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 02:07:00 PM »
The only real way to test a PSU without equipment is to connect it to another pc and see if it turns it on. I assume there are no lights or fans coming on at all ??

Power supplies are easy enough to change and are not that expensive.

IMO if you've got no one local who can help, order a new power supply and fit it. If it dont work its most likely motherboard if nothing is coming on at all.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I have had one PC not turn on and it was the on/off switch. But if your pc died in use my money is on power supply.

If the new power supply does not work your gonna have to think hard about it to be honest.

Changing a motherboard is not the easiest thing to do at the best of times, you've got to find a compatible board thats the right size, will fit your case (CPU & fan sometimes clash with case) accepts your processor and memory (I.e. Intel, Amd and socket type) and if you get it done at a shop there going to charge a nice hourly rate.

The cost of a nice new Dell Pc which is a lot quicker that what you have now might end up costing you £100 more than getting yours fixed. All its all brand new and warranted.

If you get yours fixed and the harddrive goes or the cpu its more money to get it fixed and its still not as quick as a new one.

In short cos I`ve waffled on.

Buy a new power supply - If it dont work buy a new Dell Pc. If it does let me know and we`ll sort your memory out.

Dells cheapest PC will be more than good enough for what you want but let me know if you want any help choosing one.

Oh and no I dont work for Dell  :P  :P  Imo there the best on the market atm then HP.

Is this what your power supply looks like ?

[snapback]175876[/snapback]

hi big jim,that diagram may as well be alien writing for all the sense it makes to me :lol: it's not the same as that one though,and shop don't have one they have to send off for it :angry: i got all the info on model by typing in my sn number on the packard bell support site.beyond that i am useless and worse than me is my OH jim,he is totaly hopeless on them and son only interested in msn and cs :(

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
My Pc Has Died
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 02:09:15 PM »
TBH I would try a new power supply first !!

Ebuyer

£12 is nothing if it doesnt work compared to buying a new pc.

If the Pc shut itself down and wouldnt turn back on its most likely power supply.

Oh and Lag is down to internet connection and the amount of hops the game information has to make, not the spec of your pc  :D  :D

I`m a know it all  :ph34r:
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline lyn

• Site Member
My Pc Has Died
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 02:25:30 PM »
TBH I would try a new power supply first !!

Ebuyer

£12 is nothing if it doesnt work compared to buying a new pc.

If the Pc shut itself down and wouldnt turn back on its most likely power supply.

Oh and Lag is down to internet connection and the amount of hops the game information has to make, not the spec of your pc  :D  :D

I`m a know it all  :ph34r:
[snapback]175891[/snapback]

ha ha thankyou thankyou thankyou :) i can now argue that point with stroppy good for nothing teenage son :lol:
hey don't knock yourself i would rather be a know all than a know nothing :) and you do come in very handy for the likes of myself and janice(miss poohs)almost our knight in shining armour :P thankyou muchly.

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
My Pc Has Died
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 02:28:58 PM »
before you order the all singing and dancing pc, give me a shout. If the power supply dont work. See how much it is to post it up here. and i`ll see what I can do.

Just a thought.

Jim
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline lyn

• Site Member
My Pc Has Died
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 03:38:16 PM »
before you order the all singing and dancing pc, give me a shout. If the power supply dont work. See how much it is to post it up here. and i`ll see what I can do.

Just a thought.

Jim
[snapback]175895[/snapback]

well jim i am def gonna try the psu,trouble is i can't find the make or model no coz son took it to pc world who were no help and so he has gone to local internet cafe for his cs fix.this is driving me insane i don't even know the name of the bl@@dy pc except it's a packard bell and to be honest the support site is a big load of s@@t :angry: it gives me every detail of my pc except the flippin psu.also just discovered the sunshine motherboard i have is supposed to have an important update,not sure what that is about.
i am just gonna pm you with my pc serial no and if you could please go to packard bell support for me and type it in the box thingy could you see if i am just stupid or if the info is there and i just cannot see for looking.when you have some time of course.i don't want to put you to any trouble.

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
My Pc Has Died
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 04:27:18 PM »
Sorry Sharon missed your post about the case.

Deffo the way to go. I`ve rehoused many pcs because of power supplies. They get the pc back and are like " that doesn't look like mine" Its all the same inside though  :D

Need them photos Lyn and i`ll have a good stab at sorting it out.
Dont buy the power supply from packard bell. It`ll be silly money. We'll see if the power supply in the computer your using will run it temp just to see if it is power supply.

If it is the psu we can sort it out No Problems, even if we need to change the case  :D

Photos  :rolleyes:
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue