Author Topic: What's the Difference  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
What's the Difference
« on: February 20, 2006, 05:47:34 PM »
between Intel Pentium and Intel Celeron processors?

Pete has been given the opportunity to buy/rent another putter through his work, and we just wondered what the difference was.

The one we have - is an Intel pentium 4.

Jim, can you tell this questionis just aimed at you?  :laugh:

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
Re: What's the Difference
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 05:54:12 PM »
Ello trouble, just shooting off from work but

Pentiums are better. The info is below but you'll prob just take my word for it  ;)

Jim

# Core - The Celeron chip is based on a Pentium 4 core.

# Cache - Celeron chips have less cache memory than Pentium 4 chips do. A Celeron might have 128 kilobytes of L2 cache, while a Pentium 4 can have four times that. The amount of L2 cache memory can have a big effect on performance.

# Clock speed - Intel manufactures the Pentium 4 chips to run at a higher clock speed than Celeron chips. The fastest Pentium 4 might be 60 percent faster than the fastest Celeron.

# Bus speed - There are differences in the maximum bus speeds that the processors allow. Pentium 4s tend to be about 30 percent faster than Celerons.
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 08:08:33 PM »
Just what I thought *slaps knee and laughs hysterically*

Pete has brought the brochure home and we like the HP Pavilion ZD  8369EA.

Gaunnie have a wee look at it on the net and let me know what you think.

It's a scheme thing through his work, so if we're going to do it we may aswell get a good 'un  :laugh:

Thanks Jim  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 08:58:52 PM »
It's a scheme thing through his work, so if we're going to do it we may aswell get a good 'un  :laugh:

We got offered these a few months ago - we compared with direct internet purchases and worked out that we could get a better model for the same money by buying direct  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 09:21:07 PM »
This one is done through tax - not sure how it works - it's like a hire agreement, with purchase option at the end if you want it.

Is that like the one you were offered IWLass?

We've had a look on the net but ot found anything cheaper - yet!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 09:41:47 PM »
This one is done through tax - not sure how it works - it's like a hire agreement, with purchase option at the end if you want it.

It sounds like a similar deal. When we looked at it we compared like-with-like - and we found that it would have been cheaper to buy the exact same thing outright than enter into the HP agreement - but if we needed finance, it was cheaper to buy through the work option than take a bank loan, for instance :)

Also, its worth checking the small print - if they are setting the final purchase price at the beginnig of the agreement, then it becomes a taxable perk, and you end up having to declare it for tax anyway - many of these companies get away with it by not confirming the purchase price until the end of the loan period; but that does leave you a bit vulnerable as they could charge the earth and you end up giving it back anyway  :-\

We found the packages on offer a bit limited; but we are quite a hi-tech household; I am sure for an average (read: non-computer-nerd) household, they are brilliant  :laugh:
Oldies Club

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 10:43:01 PM »

We got our computer through my OH work's home computing scheme.  It's a tax incentive or thingmajig  ::) Payments come straight out of his wages.  My work also had one running but you had to work 16 hours or more and I work 15  :-\ Was gutted, really fancied a laptop  :'(

I think a lot of companies are running these schemes now.  It's part of a government incentive to get more people using the internet and to be computer literate.   :blink:
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 08:24:21 AM »
Yeah sounds the same - the final figure we've been quoted is £20.

The lappie we've looked at is £1350 - the cheapest we've found is £1024 on the net, through the scheme we have estimated £960.

Pete is a small print reader, I'll leave that to him - the things he's come across in the past have made my whiskers pucker  :o

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 09:34:41 AM »
If I could i'd have a good Dell or sony Laptop, dont know what the Hp laptops are like but we use HP workstations at work and they seem to be good.

I think anything Dell or Hp is suitable for most people as IWlass said.

I'd go for a laptop  ;)

You can network both your PCs then.
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 11:41:24 PM »
My Oh got one of these incentives through teh post today for hsi work. There is no final payment though  :huh: 36 monthly payments off wages and the final value purchase fee is estimated to be around 5% of the retail price?  It's all Fujitsu Siemens equipment, for exampale the basic entry level Notebook works out costing us approx £335.01
Not sure if I'm interested in it to be honest I'd rather get one built  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 10:37:08 PM »
My Oh got one of these incentives through teh post today for hsi work. There is no final payment though  :huh: 36 monthly payments off wages and the final value purchase fee is estimated to be around 5% of the retail price?  It's all Fujitsu Siemens equipment, for exampale the basic entry level Notebook works out costing us approx £335.01
Not sure if I'm interested in it to be honest I'd rather get one built  ;)

By giving a vague "estimate" of the final purchase price - they avoid you having to pay tax on the PC as a perk...... ::)
We have ours built to; or rather, OH buys the bits and builds them himself  ;)
Oldies Club