Author Topic: Scanned documents too large - really need help  (Read 848 times)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
Scanned documents too large - really need help
« on: May 02, 2007, 10:27:54 AM »
I have a new customer at work that requires us to e mail docs & photos to them rather than put them in the post.  This is not the only customer that we do this for but this one requires full electronic transfer. 

Problem is some of the documents have to be scanned, i.e. signed docs - however, their server is kicking it back because the documents are far to big a 4 or 5 page scanned doc (into word) they say is coming through at 3 mb ! 

Obviously need to keep this customer happy but I am at a loss what to do - can things be scanned into pdf format & will this be a smaller doc. 

Also the photos that we took were supposed to have been saved however have now been lost (typical) so am contemplating taking photos of the photos and making them smaller and then sending.   

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhh, am having a bad day !  But really need to keep this customer happy  ;)

ANY help/advice would be welcomed.

Cheers guys

Offline michaelp

• Site Member
Re: Scanned documents too large - really need help
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 11:58:57 AM »
This isn't something I ever have to do, but I can give you a few suggestions until someone comes along with a better solution :)

3mb for a scanned five page document doesn't seem to extreme too me, but you should be able to get it quite a bit smaller.  Definitely save as PDF if you can, Word is terrible at compressing images.  A PDF should be quite a bit smaller, and your scanner should have the option to save as PDF.

Your scanner should also have quality level options, same as a printer, so you can choose how detailed the scan is - it may be labelled as "draft", "normal", "best" like a printer, or alternatively it may be a change in resolution in which case there will be a setting for "dpi" (dots per inch).  Try altering this when you scan - if it is "dpi", then a lower number will be a smaller file size. 

If you're still stuck, an easy option is to compress/zip/archive the Word file yourself.  If you're using Windows XP, then from memory there is a "Add to Archive/Zip" option when you right click a file in Windows Explorer.  Otherwise, download a copy of "Winzip" http://www.winzip.com/downwz.htm, and use that to zip it.  It will probably reduce the file to about a tenth of the size.  Of course, they'll have to unzip it at the other side, but it will bypass any attachment size limitations in your or their email systems.  If they don't have/won't use Winzip, there is an option to create the zip file as a "self-extracting archive", which basically means they can double click the file and it will unzip itself.

For the photos, rather than taking a photo of them, can't you just scan them in?  It will be a lot better quality.

Hope this helps until someone has a better suggestion!

Michael

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »
Thanks Michael for the advice.

We have just bought a fancy new scanner at work so I have done what I do best & thats delegate  :005:

I (well not me personally  :005:) did convert the docs into pdf format and e mailed them for about the millioneth time and this time they havent bounced back so fingers crossed. 

This paper free nonsense is fab in theory ..........

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 06:59:07 PM »
I use winzip if i have large files to send