Author Topic: Won't let me do anything  (Read 914 times)

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
Won't let me do anything
« on: June 06, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »
I can start up the laptop, log in as my user then a womans voice is coming from the great beyond saying something about privacy, then the pc privacy something or other and starts scanning, then a little prompt box comes up saying not enough storage then loads of them appear and the computer starts making horrible bleeping noises.  I have just ran a full AVG scan, found some cookies, but no threats. 

I can log in as my OH and use the internet and whatever, but all the pics and everything are on mine!  Any suggestions? 

Thanks guys  :luv:
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline dazla

Re: Won't let me do anything
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:53:23 AM »
It does sound like scareware- has it asked you for money???

I suggest that you download and run malwarebytes. Before performing a scan go to the second tab and tell it to update. Then do a thorough scan. Might take some time depending on the size of your drive.

malwarebytes.org/

Once that has done it job you can free up a lot of space by using  ATF cleaner, make sure you tick the options that you want.

http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25

Both programs are free.

If you really are low on space then run ATF cleaner first.

In the event that you can't get to the internet then boot in safe mode (using f8 before you see the windows splash screen). Log in with the account called administrator and tell avg to run. You will probably get a message saying that avg cannot run in safe mode but allowing you to scan before the next reboot- take this option.

Post back for more help