Author Topic: BIOS???  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
BIOS???
« on: October 22, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
Ok, Sony computer has just come back from being repaired, on the sheet it said it had a new main board and BIOS update.....trouble is every so often the blue screen of death appears, and disappears as fast as it arrived....I've managed to catch some of the writing, it says if it's had a BIOS update to disable the shadowing or something like that  ph34r

Does anybody know how I get into the BIOS??

Thanks, I'm in work now till 10.30pm, so I'll check in when I get back.

Sharon

Offline kirstyb

Re: BIOS???
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 03:41:48 PM »
BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System and is the very bottom level of a PC's interface with the components on the motherboard. The BIOS will check all the components, memory, hard drives etc at startup and pass this information onto the Operating System once it loads.

To access the BIOS on a Sony Vaio is either F2 or F3 during the initial startup screen which appears just after you power the machine on.

If you let me know the actual model, I should be able to find the right setting for you to disable.

There is also sometimes an option to disable the automatic restart after the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) so that you can read the error and find out what has caused it. It is normally a rogue driver that may be caused by the new main board.
Sam and Pepper's Mummy

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: BIOS???
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:25:51 PM »
The computer has been formatted and has a clean install of Windows Vista Home Premium.

I have spoken (online) to a Sony agent, they seem to think that the recovery discs (can be ordered via telephone) are around £30, so might just do that, have also noticed that my DVD player/writer which is BluRay also won't play BRDiscs so obviously the drivers aren't right, and only Sony have the drivers, so really they've got me!

Thanks for the offer of help, am going to order the discs tomorrow, the online chap said that once I recover all drivers etc. it will correct the BIOS problem too.....if not there's going to be trouble.....lol.

Forgot to say its a Sony Vaio VGC-LT1S, the one that's built like an Apple, all workings in the back of the screen.