Author Topic: APPLE MAC HELP  (Read 957 times)

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
APPLE MAC HELP
« on: August 08, 2010, 04:32:29 PM »
Hi not sure if you can help but our safari will not open some web sites...i.e just keeps loading not opening, like Ebay, amazon, next etc..it's been doing it for about a month know, we've done the cookies and cache to no avail  :dunno: can anyone help sarah x
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline ali carrera

• Limited Member
  • CARRERA & PORTIA
Re: APPLE MAC HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 04:49:03 PM »
Hi Sarah

Have you tried a (free) safari update to safari 5?

Go to the apple website and search support- downloads

Hope it works for you

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 04:54:21 PM »
I use Firefox with my Apple Mac  ;)
I have never had a problem with it and prefer it to Safari.  :D
I like it as when I list on eBay  ph34r, it allows me much more choice with the fonts, colours etc.  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline RobR

• One is never enough
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 06:43:42 PM »
Hi not sure if you can help but our safari will not open some web sites...i.e just keeps loading not opening, like Ebay, amazon, next etc..it's been doing it for about a month know, we've done the cookies and cache to no avail  :dunno: can anyone help sarah x

What version of Safari are you using and what type of Mac (PowerPC or intel)? Which version of Mac OS are you using? Can you open Safari by clicking on its icon in Applications?

When something that was working suddenly stops working it's usually caused by something that you have recently installed or updated. I don't think that there have been any recent upgrades to OS X, but Safari itself has recently been upgraded to Version 5 and again to V 5.0.1 to fix a major bug in the autocomplete feature. Version 5 requires a new-ish Mac running Leopard or Snow Leopard. Earlier versions of Safari for older versions of OS X are available from http://support.apple.com/downloads/. Apple are still keeping these older versions up to date for security fixes.

When a browser stops working, it's often caused by something like the Java engine (Java is a programming language used by a lot of websites that forms part of the website and is downloaded and run on your computer) which has possibly become corrupt in some way.

A couple of things to look at -

In the Safari Menu select Reset Safari and Empty Cache, if you haven't already done so.

In Preferences, go to Security and ensure that Java and Javascript are enabled (i.e.the boxes are ticked), enable plugins should also be ticked, and you should allow Cookies, either "Always' or 'Only from Sites I visit' (my preference)

If the above doesn't work my advice would be to delete the current version of Safari  :fear2: (drag the Safari icon in your Applications folder to the trash bin, then empty the bin - a restart here will ensure that Safari has met its maker) and download the latest version of Safari that your machine/OS version supports from the link above and re-install it. Hmmmm - downloading the new version first is probably a good idea as once you've zapped Safari you won't have a web browser to use to download the new version  :D I don't think that this will zap all your bookmarks (I've never had to delete Safari myself...), but to be on the safe side open Safari and select Export Bookmarks from the File menu. Save the file somewhere you will be able to find it again  >:D then once the new version of Safari is installed select Import Bookmarks from the File menu to get them back.

As others have said, Firefox on the Mac works well and seems very stable. Firefox is my preferred browser, but the latest version of Safari with its support for extensions is looking tempting. It's probably worth downloading and installing Firefox (or any other browser such as Opera or Chrome) to have a backup available should Safari go pear-shaped again.

So many cats

So few recipes...