Author Topic: new laptop needed - advice please  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Yomper

Re: new laptop needed - advice please
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »
a dell charger will run a compaq but you try running a dell laptop with another brand charger. there is a 0.5 voltage increase

Offline JohnMcL7

Re: new laptop needed - advice please
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 01:58:07 PM »
Nope, both the HP and Dell chargers I have here are both rated at 19.5 V (the one you're looking at may be a different unit, Dell do make a few) - the current is higher on the Dell but that's only because the one I'm using is for a higher powered or docked Dell and the HP charger is not.  Also my Sony chargers are also 19.5V (the Lenovo is 20V which is more awkward, the ULV Sony is just 16V) so it's simply not true that Dell use a different voltage to everyone else.  Either way I don't see how it's an issue nor a specific Dell criticism, no laptop company has an open agreement on power supples (unlike Dell, some will not allow you to bypass the charger check), it's usually possible to pick up up Dell branded power supplies cheap and generic units will power a Dell.  Some power supplies will power other laptops but it's more by chance, some will not but it's not a Dell specific ussue.

John