Author Topic: Bitch humping a puppy!  (Read 1646 times)

Offline OffMyCocker

Bitch humping a puppy!
« on: September 19, 2020, 12:46:50 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm a first-time owner of Lady, the 2.5 year-old American Cocker. I've had her nearly 6 months and she's extremely reactive, especially to other dogs, children and some adults (this is all important background knowledge!)

Lady has been able to meet and walk with a few other dogs, and I've taken her for a couple of walks with my friend's new Cockerpoo puppy, Ralph. Ralph can be playful, jumping all over Lady and getting in her face, but on our walks Lady usually just tolerates it, ignores Ralph or just wanders off. Sometimes they do run together, and Lady will run up Ralph, trying to sniff what he's sniffing, that sort of thing.

Today I'm dog sitting Ralph and it's the first time Lady has had another dog in her house (i.e. our house, she did previously live with other dogs). So far, it seems that Ralph is a bit much for Lady, he's all over her, then here's the thing - Lady keeps jumping on him from behind, mounting him and hjmping slightly. I don't know if she's trying to pin him to calm him down, or if she's actually humping because of excitement or arousal? I also don't know if it's a friendly thing or if I should be separating them? Anyone got any ideas? I don't mind a bit of rough and tumble play, but I'm inexperienced with dogs, so don't know what's normal and what's bordering on aggression.

By the way, Lady isn't spayed yet, and Ralph is about 5 months old (so he's also entire). Lady is not in season at the moment either.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Bitch humping a puppy!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 05:05:43 PM »
Humping can be a way for dogs to react to stress. Especially young dogs can start humping other dogs when they need a break, could be overexitement, could be frustration. Dogs can also jump on other dogs and pin them down when they feel like the other dog is crossing a line. Either way I would separate them so they can both have a rest when this behaviour starts. Puppies can be annoying and usually get more bitey and crazy when they are starting to get tired. And since Lady tolerates a lot from Ralph, she deserves a break when he gets to be too much :) I'm sure there could be other reasons too. But it usually helps to give the baby a time out to remind them to take naps between play sessions, and give the older one a rest from the sharp puppy teeth and questionable manners  :005:

Offline OffMyCocker

Re: Bitch humping a puppy!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 07:30:13 PM »
Thanks Mari. Separating them is exactly what I did in the end! I took Ralph (the non-reactive puppy) out on his own for along walk, let the two play for a little bit, then gave Ralph alone time to sleep while I spent time with Lady. In the afternoon both dogs played (nicely) for a bit together, then we separated them for a while, then back together. By the end of the day, Ralph was asleep on the floor, Lady was asleep on the sofa!

You're right, it was probably just a case of Ralph being all too much for Lady, so I think I managed it well! Always nice to have a bit of reassurance sometimes though!