Author Topic: Leeds Champ show  (Read 8061 times)

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Re: Leeds Champ show
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 10:24:49 PM »
well done everyone
sorry to hear about your friend Dessie I hope your Friend hasn't been put off showing . whats the problem about someone else showing another persons dog  :-\ . surly this is about dog showing ,I suppose an experienced shower knows how to get the best out of each dog  ;) that might well be the problem
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline debz

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 10:30:45 PM »
i'm with you ;) but some attudes are putting people off and they are getting out of cockers which is a shame i've even thought about it on the odd occasion but i'm not a quitter :005:

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 10:55:36 PM »
Totally agree Luvly it should be about the Dogs but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the way it is :-\

More importance is put on the winning and the piece of cardboard at the end of the day, there seems to be a win at all costs attitude with some folk and not enough emphasis on the dogs. I could quite easily get more experienced and 'well known' people to handle my dogs and they would handle them much better than I can and they would probabally win more but I'm afraid showing for me is about the acheivements I gain myself with my dogs.

Each to there own of course but this is my view on the subject ;)
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 11:10:15 PM »
Completely agree with you Kelly.

Stick at it girls, it's the only way we'll get to be a 'face' one day.  ;) :D

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 11:34:31 PM »
My friend's PD won BPD to our absolute delight .... although some people did critise her for not showing him herself !!!! 

I don't know what it is about this country but in other countries, it's quite normal for dogs to be handled by their breeders or even by pro handlers but over here if the owner doesn't handle their own dog (even if they have a genuine reason), they will get stick from some quarters >:( Andrew sometimes handles dogs we have bred (like he handled Marvin for you last year when you'd just had your op) and there's no reason why he shouldn't do this but some people are very quick with the snide comments. That's not to say that it isn't far more satisfying to handle yourself and win with your own dog but sometimes there are genuine reasons why an owner doesn't or cannot handle and those who are quick to stick the knife in ought to perhaps think and count to ten before they speak ;)

Glad you enjoyed your trip over anyway - despite the mud :005:
Jane

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2007, 06:36:43 AM »
Sorry I missed you Dessie, I thought I caught a glimpse of you coming out of one of the classes, but I am not sure what you look like and did not want to go up and ask as the person if it was you, as if I was wrong they would think I was mad.  Well I am mad really

Totally agree with some of the comments re: showing your own dog or not, it is about the dog and should only be about the dog and not who you are, unfortunately this is not always how it is.

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2007, 07:23:20 AM »
The fact is that the rules allow anyone to handle a dog. At Crufts and other BIG shows it's not uncommon to have a handler so I don't see why people should get upset about it. What's on show is the dog and if someone else can do it better so the dog gets the opportunity to be shown at its best then what's the problem. It's something that's there for anyone to take advantage of if they wish. ;)

I've often seen competitors with more than one entry in a class getting someone else to handle one of the dogs - should that not be allowed either?

When I showed the boys I enjoyed it and wasn't too bad, not that brill either :005: I would take my friends dog in sometimes as she used to feel sick at the prospect. He did quite well as he was a good dog and deserved to do quite well.

If it was against the rules and was cheating then that would be different :police: -imho.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 09:43:03 AM »
I love to handle my dogs myself, but there are times when I have entered a show and cant get there because of my shifts, I will then ask Joan (My breeder chloe or GaryNS to handle Tanya or Sonny as they all know and love her and she knows them ) as the entery fee is a lot to lose. Oviously you get such I thrill out of winning or being placed when you do it yourself, but there are a few times you cant do it. Still on cloud nine from Tanyas win :luv:
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2007, 11:36:59 AM »
I think i need to just make it clear that my comments are not in relation to those people that have genuine reasons i.e. 2 dogs in one class, illness or some of the older exhibitors that are struggling to handle their dogs etc,  my point is in respect of the those that get other people to show their dogs because they know the handler will be placed under a certain judge  ::) we all know that happens ;)

Visit our website

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 11:44:49 AM »
we should all be encouraging new people into our sport not sniping at them !!!
I agree with you there Dessie , you know before I even thought about showing I was told not to bother because only certain breeders win because there  friends with the judges . its not exactly encouraging .
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2007, 01:15:18 PM »
Thanks for all your replies guys ........ As Jane S said Andrew showed Marvin for me last year at Paignton as I had just had an operation and didn't know if I could handle or not I was OK and handled Marvin at the Cocker Club and got two nice placings with him.

I have always wanted to qualify my dogs myself and do well myself which I have done and agree that there is no better feeling that doing it yourself ..... but there are some of us that get ourselves into a right state before we go into the ring and aren't quite at easy as others so when you have a Breeder that really cares about the dog they have sold  you and give you a hand with trimming, etc etc I don't see the problem in them handling for you especially if you are new to the showing scene and didn't have the best starts. 

I must say that Jane S and Andrew have been very supportive with Marvin which is something I am very thankful for :D and before I had Marvin Jane has always been there supporting me.  Thank you Jane S  ;)  I also had lots of support with Douglas from the Grice's.

When I first started which was here in Guernsey I was told that I shouldn't bother with my first dog Sebbie as he wasn't a show dog ... he is on the big side which I know but he has placed well in open shows here in Guernsey and Jersey .... if I had listened to these people I wouldn't be showing my Boys at all and would of stopped right then ...

Just lets think of others that just need a little guiding hand to set them off in the right direction  ;)

Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2007, 02:10:15 PM »
Well Done to everyone especially Sue and Tanya. Glad Megan did well too.
Anita

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2007, 03:49:32 PM »
but there are some of us that get ourselves into a right state before we go into the ring and aren't quite at easy as others

I'm one of those person who gets my self in a state just before i go in to the ring and become very nervous i don't know why  ph34r  ::)

Well done everybody who did well at Leeds  :blink:

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2007, 05:57:40 PM »
Sarah I still go to the toilet 4 or 5 times and get nervous before I go in still just a newbie though :005: ( 5 years)
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2007, 07:10:08 PM »
Me too :005: Rescue Remedy works wonders thou ;)

Visit our website