Author Topic: Showing downer. ...Am I really mad?  (Read 6079 times)

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Showing downer. ...Am I really mad?
« on: July 30, 2008, 07:10:54 PM »
After a discussion at work this morning about Dog showing I am begining to wonder if I am really as mad as my colleagues & family think!! I probabally shouldn't post these thoughts on a public forum but  oh well, there must be others who actively show that feel the same :D

I have entered Paginton next week and was telling my work colleagues about it. I have booked two days holiday from work, I have booked a hotel £60, I have paid £24 to enter and will probabally have to spend at least £80 on diesel for the 51/2 hour  journey down there and I will spend 2-4 hours grooming and for what!

For 10 minutes in the ring, if I am lucky and the judge likes my dog I may get placed and be handed a piece of cardboard. If I am really lucky I may qualify for Crufts.

My colleagues & family cannot believe that I do this and think it's ridiculous, and cannot understand why people would want to do this .. I am starting to wonder!! Anyone else feel the same?

Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Re: Showing downer. ...Am I really mad?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 07:16:19 PM »
If it makes you happy - carry on! :D
I used to have to 'justify' showing my rabbits when I was a teenager, so can understand how you feel, only you know if the hobby is making you happy - I made a lot of friends when I was showing, but I haven't got the time (or suitable dogs) to show at the moment.
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 07:21:10 PM »
It's a hobby - and if you enjoy it, and can spare the time and money to indulge yourself travelling to shows around the country, then why not?  ;)

I'm sure that shows will suffer the effects of the credit crunch in the next few months as people can't afford to go to as many, or travel as far - but as long as you, and the dogs, enjoy it - then take no notice of what other people think  ;)  If it is beginning to lose it's appeal, and you think that they may have a point - then you can always take a break for a while and see if you miss it  :D

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:21:39 PM »
I have to say, I was gobsmacked how little money is up for grabs even if you win BIS, I know it might be the proof of the dogs conformity to standard when it comes to breeding, but none of you does it for the money!  :o

I admire you all for doing it and although I enjoy going to the fun local shows, I couldn't travel and do what all of you do  :shades:  Really looking forward to Heidis first open though  ;)

Thank doG you do though, but I guess the price of fuel & entry forms is going to impact on lots of people right now, as long as you enjoy it, stick with it and do it for you!  :-*

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:42:51 PM »
I wouldn't worry about what they say, really - as long as you are happy with it, as the others say.  :blink:

I really admire the dedication that goes into dog showing, I'm not sure I could show myself but I love watching it. Good luck at the show.  :D

Offline sam jane

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 07:55:04 PM »
Hi Kelly
Yes you are really mad, like the rest of us :lol:. I haven't entered this one but give me a call if you are entering other champ shows and prehaps we can lift share. I am going to city of Birmingham with Debbie and Thomas but should be room in the car for one more dog if you are entered into that.
Sam

Cazzie

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »
Hi

No one felt more of a freak than me, showing a working cross show bred Lab in a ring full of full show Labs  :embarassed: I did it because I was pationate about doing it, I attended ring craft and by golly I after all the nerves I loved it and will show again in the future. Otter who is my half breed  :005: Has won a puppy class (all be it not a champion show) but all our hard work paid off  :shades:

Id say go for it, enjoy enjoy enjoy and wish you all the luck in the world  :shades:

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 08:39:37 PM »
Yes we are mad getting up at silly o'clock to get to a show and hope the judges like our dogs
Couple of months ago i added up the total cost of the shows we had entered  :o and that was without fuel and stopping over in hotels ect

Kelly what hotel are you stopping in ?  We are also going to Paginton just taking Cilla,going down on Tuesday  :blink:

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 08:55:15 PM »
It's not really the money that bothers me (I think dog showing would be corrupt beyond belief if large sums of money were on offer) but is it worth what you put it as to what you get out? Me & Adam have made a hell of a lot of sacrifices to do what we do I could list them all night, our choices of course - but won't bore you with that. I put everything into my dogs and showing/breeding them and sometimes you do wonder if it's worth it.

I'm sure you know not all judges, judge the dogs but rather who's on the end of the lead which really takes the enjoyment out of it especially when you have put so much in, and yes I have met many people and made some really good friends but can you really have true friends in the same breed whilst competing against each other?? I think Dog showing can be a very lonely hobby at times where people you think are friends is not always so. I know i'm not alone with this thought as others have said the same thing.

These days I seem to get more enjoyment out of my dogs at home than showing them and I'm sure if they could talk and they were given the choice of going to a show or going for a stroll along the beach - they would opt for the beach everytime!

sorry for going on but sometimes you just gotta let it all out :005:

Visit our website

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:06:11 PM »
I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks of you showing dogs - after all, lots of hobbies involve sacrifices and expense but seem weird to people who don't share that hobby (I don't get why anyone would play golf but thousands of people are apparently passionate about it :005:).

I do think you're wrong about it not being possible to have genuine friends if you show though ;) Of course there are people who are two-faced and not as nice as they might first appear to be but you find them in all aspects of life (I've worked with a fair few when I had an office job :005:). You just have to learn who they are & avoid them if at all possible ;)
Jane

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 10:15:22 PM »
These days I seem to get more enjoyment out of my dogs at home than showing them and I'm sure if they could talk and they were given the choice of going to a show or going for a stroll along the beach - they would opt for the beach everytime!

I think you have answered your own question.....life is to short to feel like this  :-\

Do what you enjoy now - don't carry on showing because you feel you should - eventually you will grow to resent it and it will spoil the good memories that you do have  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 10:17:39 PM »
Hi Kelly

Your not alone.

I sometimes wonder if I'm mad especially if I want to do a Champ show with all the money that it costs coming over from Guernsey £400+ just for the boat, and on top of that there's the petrol, hotels and food etc.  I think it is even harder for us coming from Guernsey because we can't get to many shows and as such aren't known on the circuit, but I love getting my dogs ready spending hours and hours hand stripping and trimming them up.  

My partner thinks I'm mad he is just coming round to the Dogs (he's new) but can't understand the showing side (but then again he is Hungarian  ;) :005:)  I enjoy it am off to Jersey for the day on Saturday and can't wait.

I must say that so far showing Oliver my ESS has been a great change from the Cockers - not so many in the classes and at the moment not so much trimming and stripping out.

Maybe you should get a second breed Kelly  ;).

If you enjoy it keep going and I have made some great friends in the Breed so not everybody is only out for themselves !!

I'm next over for City of Birmingham and having a bit of a do as it's the BIG 40 in September  :o :o :o :o  So do pop along and have a drink etc.

Dessie
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 10:22:50 PM »
As one who went all around the country showing my goldens I can assure you there are judges in other breeds who judge by looking at the wrong end of the lead but they only get that one entry from me.

I have met many lovely people at shows. I'm now down to one girl and she is too old and arthritic for showing any more but I still keep in touch with who is doing what.

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 11:36:24 PM »
Thanks everyone for you comments - all taken on board ;)

I thought I had something to moan about Dessie being in little old Norfolk but I think if i lived in Gurnsey - i'd never get to a show :005:

Unfortunately I'm not at C of B but have a good birthday!

Visit our website

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 02:31:58 AM »
Of course you're a little mad, it's a requirement to being a dog person  :lol2:

I think we all go through phases like yours from time to time. I have been in and out of showing for various reasons; sometimes financial, sometimes I'm just "burned out' on it all. When you're not having fun at it, it may be time to take a break for a while, or do a different dog activity, like agility, or gun dog training. Or, like has been suggested get a dog of a different breed to show, to give you a fresh perspective.

Yes, I've fielded those questions too: "What do you win?"  "Erm, a ribbon, sometimes a nice trophy or something"  "No money??"  :o "No, not really"  ::) ph34r :005: But most of my dearest and longest term friends are show people and I can't put a value on that, nor on the time and enjoyment with my dogs  :luv: The chances to get together for shows and maybe go out and sight see and have dinner and have some laughs and share news--worth the entry fees and travel expenses (Nothing like sitting in a restaraunt with a group of dog people discussing pee and poo, vomit and diawotsit, the mechanics of breeding and other wonderful dinner conversation! :rofl1: :rofl1:)

Like Jane pointed out, others spend just as much on things that we wouldn't consider. One of the girls at work is going with a group of people to spend probably more than I will spend on this weekends show, to jump out of a perfectly good airplane  :o ::) :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne