Author Topic: Size at 6 months  (Read 804 times)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Size at 6 months
« on: October 08, 2008, 08:51:08 PM »
At dog training tonight a trainer asked me about Harriet's size as she knows I want to show her.
Harriet is 5 months old and entered into her first "real" cocker show just after she turns 6 months.  This lady seems to think Harriet is very small for a cocker and "won't make size"  I have just looked at the breed standard and it says that even if she is smaller than she is supposed to be, she could  be penalised  but not disqualified.

However, how on earth will they know what size she will be fully grown when she is only going to be 6 months old at the show?  I don't understand and not sure if this person was asking cos she has a Sheltie who (according to her) won't "make size" - but he is only 4 1/2 months, so I don't understand how she can know that already?

Harriet can enter in puppy and minor puppy classes so will be with other pups around her age.  Surely the judge will look at all of them and decide between the dogs at the show against the breed standard - not how they think they will be in the future when fully grown?
Should I withdraw the entry or just not worry about it, and go ahead and take her along anyway?

Can you tell I am new to this "real" showing business, having only ever entered fun and companion shows with the rest of the gang!  :005:
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Re: Size at 6 months
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 09:03:58 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it go along and enjoy yourself. Pups grow at different rates and she is only 5 months old. Even if she doesn't make size as an adult it's not the end of the world there is no such thing as a perfect dog  :D The judge should judge your dog as it is on the day and not what it maybe in the future.

The lady thats saying her Sheltie pup will not make size probabally is going from past experience with her other pups she is probabally comparing this one to the size of her others  she has had at this age and how they developed.

Good luck and have fun :D
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline cockers mum

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 11:12:36 PM »
I agree with Kelly, our own dog Spice is small but it did not stop her getting a 3rd a crufts. Some judges say she is small and throw her out another will gave her BIS. Just try to stand next to a dog of similar size in the ring so it is not so obvious. At 5mths a puppy still has a lot of growing to do, and some lines mature earlier than others. good luck and enjoy yourself

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 11:20:06 PM »
Just try to stand next to a dog of similar size in the ring so it is not so obvious. At 5mths a puppy still has a lot of growing to do, and some lines mature earlier than others. good luck and enjoy yourself

Exactly what we've been told about Heidi, unfortunately she is a late developer and she's out of puppy in a few weeks but that's life.  Is Dominic doing the Handling classes when they are available.  It won't matter how big Harriet is then - just his handling skills  ;)

Good luck - hope we get to meet her soon  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline KarenB

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 11:36:23 PM »
Agree with Kelly, at this age it is so hard to tell how a pup will turn out, go to the show and enjoy it, and remember you take the best dog home with you at the end of the day.