Author Topic: Leads  (Read 2985 times)

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Leads
« on: September 14, 2004, 09:52:32 AM »
Hi,

Abby and I have our first show in 3 weeks but we there are some areas that we are struggling with???  We did a puppy match last night and whilst Abby was on the table and the judge was going over her I found myself fiddling with her lead?? really don't know what I am supposed to be doing with my hands :rolleyes: should I loosen the lead so it sits on her shoulders? also she doesn't like me holding her jaw at the moment (still teething) if I go near her mouth she backs up nearly off the table is there another way of holding her?? Final one is when walking she leans on the lead to the left mainly as she is trying to get back to the other dogs :D how do I go about correcting that, she is great at home when no distractions :D

Michelle

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Leads
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 12:27:14 PM »
It's quite a big thing for you both isn't it - learning how to behave yourself!!

What you need to do is find what makes you comfortable. It also depends on your dog. Often dogs look for you and don't like you going out of their sight - so when the judge is doing the head etc from the front - try and stand behind the judge so your girl can see you. Forget the lead, just rest it on her shoulders and lay it down on the table - only when the judge has hold though ;)  If you fidget with the lead - Abby'll pick up that you're nervous and it may make her worried too ;) The judge should see she's a baby and make certain allowances ;)

When the judge goes down the side and behind - move to take the head. Hold the head from the front keeping its height right and extending the neck nicely. If your girl has a tendency to sit, like Buddy did, you might have to be round the back encouraging her to stand up! :D

If she's leaning while walking - practise using the lead to pull her straight - gently though - you don't want to string her up like some do :o

Holding her muzzle can be tough if she's got a sore mouth - try holding her cheek - gently of course rather than her full mouth.

The once you've got all this in order you've cracked it - easy innit :D

seriously - be confident and positive and Abby will respond more positively herself. Give her gentle encouragement during the table and movement saving a big hug etc for after the judging.

As she's such a baby and you're learning too - don't worry about getting it perfect. You have to learn your style and Abby's style too. And as other far more experienced and successful will tell you - you never stop learning or having to practise with them.

ENJOY - it's fun!
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Leads
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 01:06:51 PM »
I was taught (at rinfgcraft) to hold the loose bit of skin under the chin gently, but without distorting the look of the face if you know what I mean  :D

Good luck Michelle & Abby  :D  :D  

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Leads
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 02:17:39 PM »
Thanks Pammy & Gilly,

Phew its a lot to take in and I am usually thinking what to do next and forget what I should be doing at that moment :rolleyes: One day we seem to click when we practice and the next day its starting all over again.  Abby gives me a look which says sort yourself out mum! I know what I am supposed to be doing its you who is getting it wrong!!

Luckily we are having lots of fun practising  :D

Michelle

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Leads
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 02:30:22 PM »

I took Misty to a few ringcraft classes when she was a young pup..... what a nightmare, we were both as bad as each other with our inability to concentrate. There seems so much to take in at first. I remember at one match night Misty refused to open her mouth for the judge, when I eventually managed to prise it open I found out she had a big chunk of carpet in there that she wasn't going to part with for anything. :D As a complete novice myself I found trying to learn what to do with a scampy young pup to be nigh on impossible..... Misty and I both decided pretty quickly that the show world was not for us. :blink:  

Good luck at your first show, Michelle, hopefully Abby will do you proud. ;) B)  

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Leads
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 02:32:13 PM »
Can't offer you any advice Michelle, but just wanted to wish you lots of luck, with the showing, I am sure you will do well with Abby, she is gorgeous :wub:   My two have not stopped talking about her since Sunday!

Offline shaz

• Site Member
Leads
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 04:35:32 PM »
ooooooooh michelle what show are you going to,
don't worry about been in the ring , even though i have only been going to shows since march i have learn't so much from people that i meet,
of course you are going to be nervous it is only natural , when you put abby on the table stack her and losen her lead to rest on her shoulders, hold her chin in the palm of your hand or on you finger tips while she has a sore mouth, the judge will know that she will be teething when she asks for abby's age, hold out her tail level with her body the judge will then go over abby ,when she go's to do this stand at her head and hold her ears forward to show the neck length, it does not really matter too much if she moves because the judge will make allowances for young puppies, and when she has finished going over abby shorten her lead and put on the floor, the judge will tell you what to do usually a triangle and then up and down.
remember have fun , good luck, you will be taking the best pup home ,and it is just like been at ringcraft.
this is from my experiance and in no way do i thinck i know it all. ;)
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Leads
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 04:50:40 PM »
Sometimes holding a forefinger and thumb gently at the back of the skull can help hold the head steady.
If she is really against having her mouth looked at, I would break your silence and explain to the judge that she is teething. They then may ask you if you can show her teeth. They usually don't mind this as much as a stranger looking at them.

Good luck, try to relax, and enjoy yourselves  :)  

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Leads
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 05:17:09 PM »
Hi Michelle,

When you stack Abby on the table ur best bet is to rest the lead over the top of her shoulders. Then as the judge examines Abby’s head, neck and shoulders etc, you are better to mover around (towards Abby's head) and hold the lead with her ears in your hand ;) ; that way the judge can have a good look and your lead doesn't get in the way :) .  

I would say if you are unsure about anything try and get n fourth or fifth place (when lining up).

Gud luck wiv everything, don't worry about being nervous (I know it’s easy to say :rolleyes: ) but I know one of the top professional handlers in the country, who still gets nervous.  Hope everything goes OK, I'm sure it will Abby is a very pretty gal :wub:!

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Leads
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 10:27:25 PM »
Thanks everyone,

Yet again COL to the rescue :D I will practice just letting the lead rest on her shoulders and moving round to hold her head.

Sharon it is the Fylde show, will you be there?

Colin,
Not sure about your tale :lol: I now will be have to check Abbys mouth for foreign objects :D just something else to add to my mental check list.

Check mouth( remove debris)
Walk
Stand
Remember Abby's age :(
Leave the lead alone
Walk

For **** sake breath......... :blink:  :blink:  

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Leads
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 10:48:49 PM »
Thanks everyone,

Yet again COL to the rescue :D I will practice just letting the lead rest on her shoulders and moving round to hold her head.

Sharon it is the Fylde show, will you be there?

Colin,
Not sure about your tale :lol: I now will be have to check Abbys mouth for foreign objects :D just something else to add to my mental check list.

Walk
Stand
Remember Abby's age :(
Leave the lead alone
Walk

For **** sake breath......... :blink:  :blink:
We'll be there...will try and help u out Michelle  ;)  :D .  

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Leads
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 11:15:43 PM »
Walk
Stand
Remember Abby's age 
Leave the lead alone
Walk

For **** sake breath.........   

:lol:

Can I just say something really funny Michelle  ;)  I have always thought that your Avatar was actually a picture of you, until.....I decided to trawl through the COL avatars, then I suddenly realised  :o  :o  its a pic of the girl off Scrubs  :blink:  All this time I thought that was you  :lol:  :lol:  

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Leads
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 11:26:32 PM »
Walk
Stand
Remember Abby's age 
Leave the lead alone
Walk

For **** sake breath.........  

:lol:

Can I just say something really funny Michelle  ;)  I have always thought that your Avatar was actually a picture of you, until.....I decided to trawl through the COL avatars, then I suddenly realised  :o  :o  its a pic of the girl off Scrubs  :blink:  All this time I thought that was you  :lol:  :lol:
No Gilly that is what I should look like if I could stick to the diet, go to the gym and could turn back time 15 years :D  :D but you are not the first to be disapointed :D

Michelle

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Leads
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2004, 07:45:31 AM »
I have always thought that your Avatar was actually a picture of you, until.....I decided to trawl through the COL avatars, then I suddenly realised   its a pic of the girl off Scrubs  All this time I thought that was you   

Me too :rolleyes:  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline shaz

• Site Member
Leads
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2004, 07:59:24 AM »
yes we will be there, it is only 10 mins away from us. don't worry there will be losts a people to help you out .
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com