Author Topic: Working vs show cocker - activities and personalities  (Read 2862 times)

Offline silke

• Site Member
Working vs show cocker - activities and personalities
« on: April 18, 2023, 06:22:36 PM »
Hi everyone,
apologies, I know very similar questions have been asked before, but we are planning on getting a puppy and are torn between the show and working types. We have always had show cockers and loved their personalities, their intelligence and also how affectionate and funny they were. They took part in different activities, like agility, obedience and flyball and always loved training. They also got on very well with our cats.
I love running, though, and take our Border Collie running. I wondered whether a working type might be better able to come running (once old enough, of course).

We are so torn and I would appreciate any insights.  :D

Thank you,
Silke

Offline sophie.ivy

Re: Working vs show cocker - activities and personalities
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 12:23:34 PM »
Hi Silke,

I've just started canicross with my working cocker and she has really taken to it - a seasoned canicrosser told me that working cockers, collies, and huskies are the perfect breeds if you want a dog to pull out in front (why am I not surprised!) but I can't see why any high energy spaniel couldn't do the same to be honest. In a local running group, there's a cavalier king charles spaniel out doing canicross and doing a fab job of pulling their owner on!! It always makes me smile when I see how keen that little dog is.

I would be a bit cauitous of running with a working cocker off lead as they can be very nose strong and likely to bog off (especially when their blood is up from the running), and their natural running style if they stay close to you is to zig zag, which can be a serious trip hazard :005: - learned that the hard way! May not be true of every working cocker of course and others may have different experiences!

Good luck with your puppy search - I'm sure you will find the perfect cocker spaniel for you, or you'll just be won over by the loony one in the litter like me :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 12:58:08 PM »
My previous show cocker Milo always quartered the ground in front of us, all his long life, so I don't think it's peculiar to working cockers. Think the working dogs move quicker though!
Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 01:38:30 PM »
Yep, have a show zig zagger here too  :lol2:

Offline Toofast

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 08:28:17 PM »
We started our Cocker experience with the Show type, and over the yeas I had had 3. All 3 of our Show type Cockers would come beating with us, they worked as a Cocker Spaniel should although I don't remember if they Quartered the ground but they did hunt and flush without "running in", they would always retrieve if they found a dead bird (they were never sent to retrieve a shot bird though !) They would retrieve from water and would work a full day without any problems. The biggest problem that we had was snow, it would form huge snow balls around their legs and restricted them getting about.
We now have the Working Type that we discovered in 1985 and have never had a Show Type since, ( no reason other than they were more practical for the shooting world that we still enjoy) . Their temperaments are fantastic, they love cuddles and fit into a family life with us without any issues. The Working type do have more speed  but the show type are slower and steadier when working.  We never cage our dogs, they are also free walked without leads on.
 They stay close with us as we request, and they are great company too. We do no pavement or road work with them, there is no need. Cuddles as with the show type are a must and we have found the temperaments with both types  are lovely.
I have nothing against the show type but the working ones are better suited  for our lifestyle.

I think that the show Type are no longer fit for purpose with the beautiful long ears and heavy coats that so many have around their lower parts. The workers are not interfered with to look "just so" for the show bench are a much more practical design.

Working type or show type, they are what we make of them  ;)

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 06:37:20 PM »
Thank you everyone! I appreciate all the replies and insights.  :D