Author Topic: Vitamin B12  (Read 2709 times)

Offline rubyduby

Vitamin B12
« on: July 15, 2023, 04:06:21 PM »
Having read the previous messages on older dogs suffering from anxiety and confusion, I noted that vit B12 was mentioned, can anyone recommend a make/type for dogs....not too expensive as my OH will go mad, I am sure she will benefit as she suffers from thyroid and Pancreas issues

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Vitamin B12
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 05:18:00 PM »
I give my dog brewers yeast tablets, they don’t contain b12 but have B1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and 9. The physiotherapist recommended them as a cheaper but as equally beneficial alternative to B Complex Supplements obtained at the vet.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2023, 06:25:04 PM »
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 08:36:05 PM »
You can buy liquid B12 for humans, Viridian, Bio Care and Solgar are a few of the brands that spring to mind.  You could maybe use just a tiny amount.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 09:09:26 PM »
Chemeyes.co.uk sells B12 for dogs. 
I had a spaniel who needed it due to another condition.  There is a specific blood test for it which is expensive, but be assured there is absolutely no harm in giving it regularly without a test because any excess comes out in their pee.
My dog was listless,  confused over times of day, and super clingy.  I had discovered her main autoimmune condition caused b12 deficiency,  so I insisted that the vet gave her a course of injections. She improved overnight, and continued with taking the Chemeyes pills.
I suffered from it myself, and knew when it was low by being tired and having brain fog. I struggled adding money and  forgot where I parked my car!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2023, 09:14:31 PM »
As your dog has pancreas issues, you would need the tablets with Intrinsic Factor to make the enzymes to digest B12.   Chemeyes ones do.  I use human ones with intrinsic factor from a company called Revitalise.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 08:33:08 PM »
You can get 360  high strength Vitamin B12 tablets from Amazon for £6.99.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 01:08:58 PM »
Can anyone tell me how long it takes for B12 to show any change in dogs, I read it can take a while, just looking for a general idea. I got the Cobalaplex and she has been on it for around 3-4 weeks now, just re read about B 12 with dogs with Pancreatitis wondering now if this is suitable??

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 02:18:35 PM »
It is suitable for dogs with pancreatitis. As mentioned in one of your other threads, the pancreas might be damaged and then unable to make the Intrinsic factor to digest the tablets.  So you need the right tablets containing it.
Injections  of pure B12 (red stuff) at the vet  works immediately in the blood stream.  Then injections once weekly  for six weeks followed up once monthly.   Obviously some vets charge silly money for a£10 injection so you are fine to use pills, which are slower because they aren’t always well digested.  The protocol is one 1000mg pill daily. When an improvement is seen it can be reduced to weekly.  It is a harmless supplement, excess is wee’d out.
My personal experience of low B12 is positive. You can feel the injection working in hours.  Then when  I guessed my levels sank (losing car in car park, inability to add up money,  forgetting words, driving on autopilot to the wrong place)  I went back to a mean gp.  He wanted to refer me to a memory clinic! I insisted it was low B12, as it was at 200, and rock bottom is 190 ish,  normal is over 300in UK or 500 in Japan.    So I refused his offer and took the tablets daily as described.  I returned to normal in a few weeks. I still take about three a week,.
You can get liquid B12 to squirt under the tongue  (sub-lingual) from Holland and Barratt.  It s supposed to soak into the tissues, but I wasn’t impressed by it.

Obviously with an elderly dog, it could be something else, but I agree wholeheartedly with you trying something harmless that could help. I don’t think a vet would be much help without doing a blood test, which would upset your girl, and cost you  £60. 

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2023, 12:53:40 PM »
Just a quick follow up question, once doggies are on these B12, do they need to be continued or do you look for some improvement, how do you know if you should keep going?

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 09:23:04 PM »
Keep it going to build it up. Surplus will be wee’d  out. I take it daily myself.