Author Topic: insurance price increase  (Read 3927 times)

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
insurance price increase
« on: August 17, 2016, 07:14:37 PM »
I had Pet Plan for Jenny and was very pleased with there service so have used it for Penny who is 7 and not claimed for her .I happended to look at momthly payment amd it 51 pounds for life Is that expensive as have alway paid insurance
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
Re: insurance price in crease
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 08:56:09 PM »
I think it's expensive, but then I decided to put the money away each month and use it for vets bills and self-insure. I had insurance for years for two cats and two dogs and when I added up the vet bills in comparison to what I paid, I would have been better off doing it myself. Even counting an amputation for one of the cats and all the usual little things that crop up!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 10:48:18 PM »
Hi Joan,

Like most things in life you get what you pay for with insurance.  £51 is expensive but do you have to contribute % towards vet fees in addition to an excess?

Pearl is insured through the Kennel Club who are underwritten by Agria Insurance who I went to direct for Coral - they are a lot less expensive and have an introductory offer of the first two months at half price!

Jayne
X

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 11:39:32 PM »
I always beleive in insurance no we dont pay a percentage it's gone  up  but50 pound a month saved  wouldnt go  far if she needed  an op or anthing Jennys spleen op was over 600 7 years ago and some insurances stop at 7years 
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 11:40:31 PM »
Our most recent renewal a few months ago from Animal Friends for Milly, our 6year old show cocker, for a 7k lifetime policy was a fraction under £200 for the year.

Bob.

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 11:45:00 PM »
 That a difference Pet  plan was good withJenny paid out promptly we havnt claimed so can you change
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 01:19:39 PM »
I must admit I had never heard of Agria Insurance till spoke with my vet...they push Pet Plan - but I have always been with Animal Friends - while never made a claim, I was warned by my vet when Ollie was unwell that I should ensure that if I went to out of hours vet service to make sure it was classed as an emergency and tress this.  He mentioned that the  £170 annually I paid might be more with Agria but the did lifetime for upto £11,000 cover.

Have stayed with AF due to Ollies age.

Julie

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: insurance price increase
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 02:19:23 PM »
Not really.  Am paying £45/month for my 3yo dog on Petplan.  Depends on the area you live in plus age of dog.  Yu can get cheaper intro offers from other companies but often they rocket after a few years (and once you're trapped as a result of pre-existing conditions).  Am paying £120/month for my 12yo dog on Sainsbury's...
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 06:17:10 PM »
I got a shock when Alfie's insurance went up from £38 to £53 per month with John Lewis. He will be 7 next month. I did think about shopping around but he already has 1 exemption and has had claims for a variety of treatments so decided I would have to grin and bear it. The exemption costs me an additional £35 a month for 7 months of the year for medication for pollen related skin issues.

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 06:54:51 PM »
Insurance not only for pets but everything is becoming a rip off, each year when it comes to sorting out the car I wince at some of the quotes. As for the animals we have we have them insured with animal friends and even with one claim the premium was not too bad.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 07:55:57 PM »
I pay £32 per month lifetime cover of £4000 for Ollie through pet plan, he is six years old. I expected a big increase last month but it didn't happen despite claiming £750 for his eye care / op. They paid out very quickly. All in all a first rate service.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 08:51:29 PM »
I went with Petplan for Blue.  It's expensive - almost £400 annually for £7K lifetime cover, but all the reviews I read pointed me in this direction, and also my friend's unfortunate experience with a Labrador requiring extensive & very expensive surgery.
Everything I've read about Petplan reassures me that if I make a claim they will actually pay up - not always the case with insurers, in my experience they will find any reason to wriggle out of paying.  I'm also reassured that they will liaise directly with my vet.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 08:25:57 AM »
It's difficult to make comparisons because even your home postcode can make a difference to premiums, as well as breed, age and sex of dog and the type of cover.

I'm with NFU and have lifetime cover for both dogs. I pay £33 per month for 7 year old Louis and £73 per month for 12 year old William. Louis' excess is £55 for each new claim and William's has gone up to their max. which is £200 for each new claim. I don't have to pay a percentage of the bill on top of the excess. NFU don't impose that as far as I know.

I've claimed loads for William over the years. Certainly since he was about 7 or 8 I've claimed more than I've paid every year and even before then there was a year when I claimed just under £2,000 for a MRI scan, other diagnostics and physio etc. when his back problem started and was eventually diagnosed as lumbosacral disc damage.

Every year I claim around £200 for William's 6 monthly ophthalmic check ups and Optimmune ointment for Dry Eye and around £240 for the acupuncture that helps so much with his back. They are ongoing conditions so I don't pay any excess on them, having paid it once when the initial diagnoses were made. This year I've also put in a claim for over £500 and another for £650 for the two lots of surgery he had in May and June.

Offline Darwin

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 06:00:59 PM »
Totally agree with Elaine.  It's all based on home post code, so really difficult to compare.

Darwin's vet bills have been approx. £5000 in the last five months and I fully expect another £1000 Hydro etc bill.  We didn't have adequate cover so we're seriously out of pocket.

If you're thinking of the money away instead of paying for insurance.  Please think how you're going to cope with being hit by a very large unexpected vet bill.   His MRI was £2000 and then another £1500 for surgery.  Then post op care etc.  It mounts up really quickly.

Darwin having to have disc surgery might not be a common occurrence but something less extreme that just involves an x-ray etc. at your local vet could easily cost in excess of £1000

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
insurance price increase
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 01:41:28 PM »
Thank you with all your replies I am staying with Pet plan it was mainly a query how its gone up as had no claims As I said Pet plan was good with a jenny ilness x
Penny Black Jennys niece