Author Topic: Pet Plan - is this right?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Pet Plan - is this right?
« on: June 21, 2010, 11:41:59 AM »
Unfortuately I had no choice but to go with Pet Plan due to Tali's dry eye. I know they are generally good but I was sort of locked in as I had free insurance from the breeder and as his dry eye symptoms showed up at his first check up, I wouldn't of had this covered if I'd have gone to another insurer.

I have the top on going  policy with £12000 of cover per year. It is £48 per month though.  ph34r

Anyhow I paid £75 excess under the free insurance for Tali's treatment but even though this sevond claim is a continuous claim, it's now under the policy I extended with Pet Plan and I've just had to pay another £100 excess which is my yearly excess per condition. They say it's because the policy is a new policy but then why do they sell it as ectending you cover? Does this sound right or a bit of a rip off?

Beyond that the first claim took a month and this next claim only took 14 days. A bit slower than my M&S policy with Keli but apparently not as bad as Direct Line who the vets said are taking at least 2 months to pay clients.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline PennyB

Re: Pet Plan - is this right?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 11:09:57 PM »
I think they probably are right as I think it is a new policy - each year I pay an excess on wilf's ongoing treatment every time the policy is renewed
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 07:06:52 PM »
 :o How much is the dry eye treatment a year? If it's less than about £350 then you'd be better off going with another insurer (e.g. Argos, who've been great and are only £13 per month for the top cover) and paying for the dry eye yourself.

I would contest the extra £100 payment - as you say one assumes that if one stays with the insurer the breeder has offered, it's the same policy - I would argue that you were missold and wouldn't have carried on with the Petplan insurance if you had realised. In fact, it's made me quite cross, as there must be thousands of people who do what you did, thinking that they were extending their policy - give Anne Robinson a bell! I've always heard good thhings about Petplan (apart from the price  ::) ) but this seems very money-grabbing  >:(

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:27:21 PM »
How much  :huh:  we have full comp with Axa with only £50 excess and £7,500 cover every year with lifelong suppport.  Every year premium has gone down started at £21 in first year and this year (year 3) it is down to just below £16 a month.    Straight up you get a good £350 to play with for dry eye treatment without losing out...

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 02:03:14 AM »
Check up and ointment from vets is £102 per month. And it seems Tali's right eye has regressed and even though it's still on the same amount of Optimmune, it only registered 2mm of tears instead of the previous 9mm, yesterday. Plus the vet wants to flush his tear ducts, estimate cost under local, £70 plus I was stunned to see removal of grass seed is £95 on the computer before anesthetic and bloods.  ph34r

Feel ripped off all round  >:(
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!