Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 586 times)

Offline dieselboy

Where to start?
« on: July 21, 2014, 09:52:06 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the site and really hoping you can all help. Diesel really needs training esp at 7month and the only thing we can get him to do every time is sit and paw. Everything else is hit or miss. We have put off classes as we were moving and a lot of work had to be done to house and garden. We are now on a waiting list but we may not get a place until October and tbh I would really like to just get going.

My question is where do I start? What book, clicker or whistle. There are so many pieces of information it's all just so confusing when you don't know where to start at all.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »
Hi and welcome to COL :D

Are there particular things you struggle with, or want to teach Diesel? For instance, what's his recall like when he's off lead and out on walks? There are lots of good training videos on Youtube, but also some dreadful ones. But if you can give us a better idea of what you need or want to do with Diesel I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions :blink:

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:05:22 AM »
There are some short, simple
training vids on the Dogs Trust
website, you do not have to be
a member to view them.
www.dogstrust.org.uk/
At the bottom of the first
page , go in"Dogs Trust A-Z",
go to T for training.

Offline dieselboy

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:21:06 AM »
Elaine.e thanks,
Just general training. Not sure how to get better results. He will sit and paw like I said but won't lie down or go to bed when told. recall isn't great at home so can't let him off lead when out. Can't get him in from the back garden most of the time. He is much better on the lead now that we changed to harness and a different lead but won't walk to heel which would be nice.

Just advice and guidance and as you said lots of bad info out there and I don't want a poorly trained dog which we have at the moment.

Oh he is ok around most dogs when out, half the time he pays no attention to them, doesn't really bark at things unless they are on the other side of a fence. He has a good temperament so not dealing with aggressive behaviour.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:58:38 AM »
you also have to remember he is about to go through his teens as well where he will not be listening in the way he was as a pup and you may feel like training becomes an uphill struggle. Often best at times like this to keep things short, simple and fun and of course positive and reward based

Clicker training might also be a good place to start - not so much as a training exercise but when they hit their teens they can sometimes lack focus and as a teenager feel more independent so useful to gain that bond with them so they listen to you more
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »
Kikopup has some good clicker training videos on YouTube.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline dieselboy

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 01:46:44 PM »
PennyB, we were actually talking about that last night and that he must been in his teen phase. Will take note to keep it short and always fun. God I couldn't do it if it wasn't going to be fun. I have preteen and toddler girls at home. Need fun somewhere lol. We bought a clicker a while back but it didn't really work but I do wonder if moving drew our attention away from putting as much time into it. Might just have to dig it out and give it another shot.

Emilyoliver, thanks will have look. Didn't really want to try something not recommended.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
As PennyB says you have to remember his age. I am just starting with Buster. We got him at 14 months having previously always had pups from 8 weeks. One thing that I have found is that at this slightly older age training takes longer and needs more repetition. Things that took 10 minutes with a young pup now take a lot longer when you are working with a rowdy ill disciplined (but cute as hell!) teenager who had other plans for the day :lol2:

Slow, kind and patient seems to be the way to do it. Just means more time with the pooch and more fun so no complaints from me!

Good luck and keep us posted as you progress. If it makes you feel any better Buster and I are having issues over sit. Thank goodness for long summer evenings and a big bag of kibbles!

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »
Don't forget to look at Topbarks teaching a reliable recall under behaviour and training ;) Good luck with it all....
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline dieselboy

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »
Emilyoliver, had a look on youtube at a few kikopup videos and I will def be trying some. I hope it works. Fingers crossed anyway