Author Topic: Tali's being sedated - Grass Seed  (Read 8313 times)

Offline ebony girl

Re: Tali's being sedated - Grass Seed
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 12:15:37 PM »
am so glad that the seed is no more.....and hope tali makes a speedy recovery  :luv:

all this talk of grass seed problems in the past week or so has prompted me to book ebony in for a mega cut on monday, she normally has a long show cut, but im thinking that for the summer perhaps a little shorter would be good and very short cut feet.... ;)

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 12:50:31 PM »
Poor Tali...hope is feeling a bit better now  :luv: :luv:

>:D >:D Grass seeds are really being a pain this year!!!

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 05:07:38 PM »
Poor Tali hope he is on the road to recovery, these blumin grass seeds, Selby sends a big slurp and big hugs

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »
Poor Tali  :'( I'm glad he's a bit brighter today. Eric got a foxtail in his ear a couple of years ago and went through the same as poor Tali. Eric managed to get the one down his ear whilst he was rolling in a dead seagull so I had to rush him to the vets covered in guts and maggots  :020: add that to him foaming and the mouth and you can imagine how deranged he looked  ph34r

Offline Catie74

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
Well done Tali for being a brave boy. xxx

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2011, 09:43:18 PM »
Oh Tali............glad that horrid thing is out of your ear now...................
Get better really soon. xxxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2011, 10:49:58 PM »
Poor Tali.

Blumming grass seeds are a pain, maybe our dogs should go out in hats and wellies.

That might not be enough either... my saluki got a grass seed lodged up his nose yesterday and had to have full anaesthetics today to have it removed. It took my vet a long time to get it out as it was so far up and it's very difficult to find it in the nose.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2011, 10:51:08 PM »
am so glad that the seed is no more.....and hope tali makes a speedy recovery  :luv:

all this talk of grass seed problems in the past week or so has prompted me to book ebony in for a mega cut on monday, she normally has a long show cut, but im thinking that for the summer perhaps a little shorter would be good and very short cut feet.... ;)

Actually, my American cocker with very long hair has less problems with grass seeds as they never seem to reach the skin, but get caught up in the fur. It's my saluki with pretty short fur that caught a grass seed... up his nose.  >:(

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2011, 01:11:53 PM »
As 2 more doglets got rushed to the vet today with seeds in ears, I would really like to drive home the urgency of getting these seen to.

Signs to look for are constant shaking of ears and head tilt. Often your dog will cry, pace, squeal and possibly get aggitated if you touch the affected ear. If your dog is quiet and trying to remain still, don't take this as it's ok to leave it.

A seed, especially a foxtail has a sharp point which will bury itself into your dogs ear canal.

At worst it will travel right down the ear and burst the ear drum. Dog's ear drums do heal, but it's not very nice for them. The seeds migrate down the ear at an amazingly fast pace too.

Please don't delay in getting vetinary treatment.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2011, 01:21:01 PM »
I agree Mel - Eddie started shaking his head late last night and went in first thing this morning - not a sign of the damn thing to our eyes and i spend ages and ages picking stuff out after walks. I was a horrrid foxtail as well so must have been very painful. Still prompt action also meant less cost, as it wasn't infected and his ear drum isn't damaged. Big hugs to all the doggies and owners who've had to deal with this problem this year - im going to be exta extra vigilant from now on, and although i dont love the look i've had the groomer cut Ruby really short yesterday in an effort to help with the heat and the seeds!  :bigarmhug:
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby