Author Topic: Naughty 6 month old Cocker loves biting  (Read 4564 times)

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
Re: Naughty 6 month old Cocker loves biting
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 11:11:38 PM »
As silly as it sounds perhaps just not using the word NO might help! He obviously assocoates that with you being annoyed and him not getting his own way hence the frustration.... perhaps STOP or AH! (works well in our house  :005:). If he stops doing the thing you want him to stop for even a second then get in there and treat him.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 11:37:29 PM »
HBP is right. Using the word no probably means nothing to him. It can be repeated so often when we have pups that it's easy to forget that they don't necessarily know what it means! I use a sharp ah ah for Archie. I taught it to him by playing hide and seek games. I hid a favourite toy then let him in to look for it. If he was in the right area I said good boy. The nearer he was, the more enthusiastically I said it. If he went the wrong way I said ah ah. It was amazing how quickly he cottoned on to this while still having fun! He now knows that ah ah means he's doing something wrong. Archie was a dreadful chewer and my sofas were also a favourite. I found that the best deterrent was deep heat spray. Never spray it when pup is anywhere near though as it's quite strong for sensitive noses. Spray with him out of the room and wait a minute or so. Others have used olbas oil with similar effect. It doesn't last long but does seems to break the habit long enough to divert attention onto something that is permitted.

Offline Rachel1992

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 10:46:49 AM »
Thank you. I'll try a new word and see if it helps. He's playing with an ice cube as we speak haha he loves it.

Offline Charlie Pup

• Donator
  • Working Cocker Charlie
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 10:58:44 PM »
How did it go today?

Offline Rachel1992

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 11:49:43 AM »
He seemed to be quite a bit less naughty, did a few short clicker training sessions with him to keep him occupied, although now all of a sudden he's taken to stealing the cushions off the settee   >:( he never bothered before haha. Crazy doggy

Offline Charlie Pup

• Donator
  • Working Cocker Charlie
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »
 :005: :005: :005:

Offline LadyLexicon

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 09:29:29 PM »
haha cocker puppies are nuts! My little boy is a cheeky monster and knows hes not supposed to be chewing the sofa- he does it when im ironing or cooking etc, when im actually sat with him he prefers his bones :/ attention seeking little mite! THANKFULLY so far no damage!

Hes getting better though, we just move him away from the sofa and give him something he can chew and praise him for chewing it... it does seem to be working. Ive found "no" doesnt really work for my boy either, praise for doing the right thing seems to be working much better!

Offline SarahMK

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 11:23:29 PM »
This sounds very much like our pup Mils. She was crazy!
(Still is) We have tried so much with Millie with nipping-
I thought it was getting more aggressive so spoke to a lady at pets at home and she was great.
She Suggested a pet corrector ( pressurised air in a can) say a firm no before and then use pet corrector. It took less than a week for Millie to realise she hated the
Noise and responded straight away to "no" (she used to
Bark back too or lunge at me) she hasn't nipped since.
We have also managed to stop jumping up and on the sofa by the same "no" but added down to the command.

Cockers are very clever put your trust into a method and stick with it :)

Sarah

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 11:57:19 PM »
This sounds very much like our pup Mils. She was crazy!
(Still is) We have tried so much with Millie with nipping-
I thought it was getting more aggressive so spoke to a lady at pets at home and she was great.
She Suggested a pet corrector ( pressurised air in a can) say a firm no before and then use pet corrector. It took less than a week for Millie to realise she hated the
Noise and responded straight away to "no" (she used to
Bark back too or lunge at me) she hasn't nipped since.
We have also managed to stop jumping up and on the sofa by the same "no" but added down to the command.

This forum doesn't recommend or support the use of aversives such as the one you've usedSarahMK. This link http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=83594.msg1240763#msg1240763 explains why aversives are not a good way to train.

Offline jesse

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 01:16:50 PM »
i have a 6 month old orange roan girl, lively and gorgeous is how i describe her!. she is not really a chewer but if she tries i find a voice noise rather than a 'no' works better. Her worst trait is digging holes in the garden!

Offline Rachel1992

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »
Dylan is still exactly the same :( I'm giving him 2 naps a day in his crate, I've tried ignoring him when he lunges and barks at me but it's difficult because now he's started to jump up and bite my arm! He doesn't listen to any word when he's in this mood! I've also tried to make him sit but he just runs around then comes back to bark and bite. Arghhhh driving me insane as I love him so much and it's upsetting when he goes mental :'(

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 01:05:19 AM »
The only way we taught Bonnie to stop biting was to leave the room every time she did it. She was really bad and even used to try jumping for my face with teeth snarling  >:D I was convinced she was a vicious dog.

'No' didn't work, sleeps didn't work, ignoring her or turning our backs didn't work. Leaving the room did. It took time and some days we were in,out,in,out,in,out. Only for a minute at a time or less but she eventually clicked that if she bit us we left. Once we went back in, we always made a fuss of her and if she bit us again, we left immediately. So wish we had recorded us as we must have looked hilarious with all 3 of us getting up, leaving room, waiting behind door then going back in, every few minutes  :005:

She is now 14 months and the softest, silliest and still nuttiest girl around who will snuggle all day long. Not an ounce of viciousness in her. Its hard work but worth it xxx

Offline Rachel1992

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 09:47:57 AM »
Will definitely give that a go. Just started putting him in his crate when he does it for 5 mins but don't want him to associate his crate with being naughty.

Any tips on food? When we eat he has to go upstairs because most of the time he jumps up to snatch the food off our plates.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 09:57:49 AM »
When you eat can you put him in his crate with a chew to keep him occupied? Or behind a babygate with a chew so that he's not entirely separated from you, can still see you, but has something nice to occupy him.

You could also try teaching him a "settle" on a piece of bedding or a mat so that he understands there are times when you want him to settle down and stay in one place without actually confining him. When I've got a bit more time later on I'll have a look for a Youtube video that I seem to remember which is a good one about teaching "settle".