Author Topic: Going backwards - barking in the night  (Read 838 times)

Offline JEM95

Going backwards - barking in the night
« on: November 01, 2015, 08:30:19 AM »
Hi,
I am the proud owner of Molly - she's four and a half months old, and from day one has been a very easy puppy. I had her from 8 1/5 weeks of age.
We have had a problem with one of her hind legs, but she is on anti-inflammatories and that seems to be settling down.  We have a ten year old flatcoated retriever, and they have always been brilliant together.
Molly has a bed inside a pen in the kitchen / garden room - she's very happy with it, doesn't see it as a place of punishment etc.  She is fine being left in it, and our normal routine for leaving her sees her running into her pen in readiness for her biscuit.
Twice in the last week M has woken me with howling at around 4:30 am.   I have left her a few minutes, then gone down, let her out for a wee etc then put her back in the pen. I've not turned lights on, interacted with her - other than a few settling, calm words. On both occasions she has gone back to sleep but repeated the howling after about an hour and a half.
I'm not sure if this is M pushing the boundaries a bit, or as a result of maybe drinking a little more whilst on her pills or maybe a fearful phase or what.
It's been 15 years since I last had a pup (another flatcoated retriever) and she was a total handful at night.  I think I have been spoiled as M has been so easy going - sleeping through from the first night.
M has a couple of short walks each day, and we practice commands etc that we are learning at puppy training several times a day.  All in all a happy, easy-going pup.
I would appreciate any advice, ideas, guidance.
Thank you!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Going backwards - barking in the night
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 04:43:22 PM »
bet she just wants a cuddle little monkey. she will settle down again. they go through a " lets try it on stage" just to keep us on our toes.
Have you posted a photo of the little monster yet.

ps welcome aboard.
pss our Gemma (4) is going through a whinging stage at bedtime. started when the clocks changed  :dunno:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline JEM95

Re: Going backwards - barking in the night
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 04:48:53 PM »
Hi Min,
Thank you so much for replying, it's much appreciated.  It's a bit daunting having a puppy again,  so it's good to hear other peoples experiences.
I will stay firm and hope any blips in Molly's otherwise exemplary behaviour are only temporary.
I can't imagine life without her now  :D
I haven't worked out how to post pictures yet!