Author Topic: Microchipping:How old?  (Read 4575 times)

Offline amanol

• Site Member
Re: Microchipping:How old?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2006, 04:17:17 PM »
Hi
I got Poppy microchipped at 15 weeks at the same time as a rabies jab and 2 weeks after her 2nd jab. The chip was around 7 pounds and the rabies jab was around 35 pounds. I had this done as early as possible as I wanted to be able to take Poppy to France this summer. One month after the rabies jab you have to do a blood test (around 40 pounds)and if it is positive then you will get your passport and take your dog out. I had to pay around 30 pounds for the passport as well. But you have to wait 6 months from the date of the rabies jab before you can bring it back to the UK with you. I don't know when you want to go to France but if you were planning to go this summer I'm afraid you won't be able to bring your dog with you.

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2006, 04:25:15 PM »
Hi
I got Poppy microchipped at 15 weeks at the same time as a rabies jab and 2 weeks after her 2nd jab. The chip was around 7 pounds and the rabies jab was around 35 pounds. I had this done as early as possible as I wanted to be able to take Poppy to France this summer. One month after the rabies jab you have to do a blood test (around 40 pounds)and if it is positive then you will get your passport and take your dog out. I had to pay around 30 pounds for the passport as well. But you have to wait 6 months from the date of the rabies jab before you can bring it back to the UK with you. I don't know when you want to go to France but if you were planning to go this summer I'm afraid you won't be able to bring your dog with you.

I found this as well. My mum lives in France, and if I want to go this year, i wouldn't be able to go till mid September, and thats if I sort stuff out now !!!!.

I understand why, buts its frustrating.

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline BrianBlackHat

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2006, 04:46:34 PM »
Hi, Brian was microchipped at the same tme as his 2nd injection which was at 10wks.  He didn't even flinch!

Offline looby lou

• Site Member
  • Georgia
    • http://www.jayzander.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2006, 05:07:52 PM »
I too have done the microchipping training, the same one as Sue from daft cockers. I microchip all my puppies before they go to their new homes and find the younger pups much easier than older dogs. The needle goes in so much easier the younger they are.
I don't know why vets are reluctant to touch young pups because when they discussed chipping puppies who work and are to be docked they were discussing chipping the pups at the same time as docking so that all the details are accurate and cannot be fiddled that to me means they will be chipping pups at less than 4 days old :huh:
To see our dogs visit
www.jayzander.co.uk

Looby Lou

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2006, 05:08:10 PM »

Not had Woody done yet, he's almost 6 mths

Watch out - Sarah P is about!! 

yes i spotted that but thought i would get a name for myself as the 'miro-chip police'!!!! ph34r :005: :005:

ph34r  ph34r I promise he's being done at then end of next week  ph34r  ph34r

I've put it off because he's such a wimp and has really only just started to fill out. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it  :005:

Woody was microchipped yesterday and apparently (OH took him) howled the surgery down. Not the bravest of soldiers, my Woody  ;)

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2006, 05:11:03 PM »

Woody was microchipped yesterday and apparently (OH took him) howled the surgery down. Not the bravest of soldiers, my Woody  ;)

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   ph34r

Damn it - now the pressure is on me!!!  I was thinking of having Daisy done when she gets spayed, she is due a season very soon, or so her raging mood is telling me! And Woody .... Sarah, can I wait till he gets 'done'??

I'm scared of needles!!   ph34r
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2006, 05:40:28 PM »

Damn it - now the pressure is on me!!!  I was thinking of having Daisy done when she gets spayed, she is due a season very soon, or so her raging mood is telling me! And Woody .... Sarah, can I wait till he gets 'done'??

I'm scared of needles!!   ph34r

NO YOU CANT WAIT - YOU PROMISED YOU WOULD GET THEM DONE AFTER THE EASTER BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop being such a wuss and book them in.  If you wait unitl Daisy is spayed that will be at least another month and most likely another 2 or 3 months.

As Wallace would say - 'stop prevaricating about the bush'  and get those dogs booked in or else the micro-chip police will be coming to get you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2006, 08:07:39 PM »

Whoops! Sorry  ph34r

Offline amanda

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2006, 09:11:44 PM »
We had Indie chipped at 14 weeks. We got the dog warden round to do it in my dinner break and Indie never made a murmur. That cost us £10 and we got loads of freebies, like mugs and keyrings with contact details for pet log and the dog warden, poopa scoop and bags, frisbee and tennis ball so it was a real bargain. Our new vets has an offer so that when you pay for both lots of puppy vacs at the same time you get the pup chipped for free, so we will be doing that when we get our new pup. :D
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline Rob6014

• Site Member
  • Corky Sherwood Forest
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2006, 02:24:08 AM »
In Australia the RSPCA recommend puppies and kittens are speyed from 8 weeks. Apparently they recover from the operation much better than the older pups do and the rate of probelms/deaths is much, much lower. Corky is booked in next week to be speyed and microchipped - she will be 9 weeks old.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2006, 07:57:16 AM »
Its interesting that most of you were able to get it done so young, none of the vets in my practice would consider doing it until 5 months, it seems they are alone in their opinion that the needle is too big??

Our vets won't do it till around then - of course it depnds on the breed, but it seems to be a size thing.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2006, 07:59:17 AM »
We had Indie chipped at 14 weeks. We got the dog warden round to do it in my dinner break and Indie never made a murmur. That cost us £10 and we got loads of freebies, like mugs and keyrings with contact details for pet log and the dog warden, poopa scoop and bags, frisbee and tennis ball so it was a real bargain. Our new vets has an offer so that when you pay for both lots of puppy vacs at the same time you get the pup chipped for free, so we will be doing that when we get our new pup. :D

Just be carful you are uising a chip company that are big enough - we use the biggest on, and they have the biggst database, which is pretty important when it comes to getting info out there.

Ther sem to be quite a few companies that start up, offer great deals, then stop, so I'd be wary of special offer till I'd seen what company it was. ;)
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2006, 08:16:09 AM »
Dillon was done at 10 weeks, at the same time as his second vax.   He yelped when the needle went in (yes it was big :o) but other than that he was fine.

It did not even occur to me that perhaps it could be done later - I thought the sooner the better...
I must admit, I was terrified of him getting lost or stolen, so for my own peace of mind it was great to have him chipped so young!

Petra

Offline amanda

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2006, 01:24:49 PM »

Just be carful you are uising a chip company that are big enough - we use the biggest on, and they have the biggst database, which is pretty important when it comes to getting info out there.

Ther sem to be quite a few companies that start up, offer great deals, then stop, so I'd be wary of special offer till I'd seen what company it was. ;)

I already checked who they use and they use petlog too, so i'm quite happy with that. Thanks for letting me know though  :D
Amanda, Indie and Zephie