Author Topic: Warning on swapping from puppy to adult Burns  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: Warning on swapping from puppy to adult Burns
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 07:32:28 PM »
I must admit - Buddy seems generally content on Burns but Jasper is forever hungry. He hasn't lost weight - but drives us mad demanding food all the time - wasn't like it on Nutro :-\ Also Buddy's teeth are really bad again - worse than they were on Nutro. Will have to try something else for him. Can see me using two different foods at this rate ::)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 02:03:39 PM »
Thought it might help if i posted the reply i have received from burns regarding my concerns over their guidance on changing to adult food from puppy food. It would appear that everyone should contact them individually to take advice when they are ready to change.

"We recommend all breeds of puppy change to adult food at 6 months old, unless there is a specific reason not to for example the dog is a working dog (not a working breed).

The guidelines should not be taken literally this is why there is a range of amounts for each weight of dog, we have also tried to clearly label the bag by writing ' the requirements depend on the amount exercise, age, breed, environmental factors and individual variation. The above can be used as a general guide, together with good sense and experience.'

I am sorry if this is still a little confusing, however I will speak to John Burns about revising the wording to make it a little easier.

For Neville:

Feed the Mini Bites until he is approximately 6 months old
Feed approximately 20 grams of food per Kg of body weight per day until he is 6 months old
Once he changes to the adult food we would then recommend his daily intake is gradually reduced over 2-3 months until he is fed on 10 grams per Kg of body weight

If you are not feeding him enough he will be too lean but if you overfeed him it will cause problems such as loose stools, flatulence, itchy skin, excess moulting and all the signs on page 6 of the Guide to Natural Health Care.

Feeding your dog is not an exact science, we would not weigh out our own food every day and it is the same with our dogs.

Please contact us again when Neville is 6 months old and we will be happy to help.

Best Wishes
Fiona
PP Burns Pet Nutrition Ltd"
Hope this helps!
Look forward to hearing from you!

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 02:18:23 PM »
We found that Barney started behaving very oddly on the adult burns - vomiting and going off his food even though he has been a food loving dog until that point.

We have now changed to JWB and he loves it - we do soften it as he does tend to not cope very well with it being dry but we are very happy we have changed.  I'd definitely recommend JWB.
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 06:23:17 PM »
I have always been told by experienced dog people that the guidelines on the packet are exactly that 'guidelines' and many don't even look at the packets now, and fed depending how the dogs looks.  However that does throw up another problem, I have spoken to my vet about everyone saying mocha is skinny, however the vet assures me his is not skinny but lean and healthy as a dog should be.  The problem is that as a nation we are seeing more and more fat dogs therefore they are becoming the norm.  I am sure mocha would eat 10 times the amount that I give him if I put it infront of him (he is abit like me really!! :lol:)  but I tend to go on how he is looking. 
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline button

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 08:47:39 PM »
hi there - i only joined COL a couple of days ago, and we only got our little boy Indie (almost) 2 weeks ago and he is on Burns puppy - he always seems to be starving, and eats his food in under 10 seconds. he obviously likes it but would you recommend changing him onto something else?  i would rather he was lean but he gets madly excited even when we make a cup of tea - thinking he is going to be fed every 5 minutes!

hope you can help

claire & indie  :D
(Indie is almost 10 weeks)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2006, 09:00:56 PM »
Try giving him a bit more. If he's still getitng the same amount at 10 weeks as he got at 8 then it's not enough. He's a growing puppy and his meals need to grow too ;) A lean puppy is not a good thing - they need a healthy amount of puppy fat on them.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline button

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 10:38:18 PM »
thanks pammy - i will increase it - i did up his food by some more for his last two meals today and he was much better.
i suppose it's just getting to know your own little man - he is a crazy thing and these last few days has been sleeping much less and tearing round in the garden much more!
claire x
(although he does flake out at 9ish on my lap like a bean bag!)

Offline judebt

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2006, 04:58:21 PM »
My vet advised that we didnt swap Roxi onto adult food until 1 yead of age minimum??????
Judith and roxi

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 05:16:15 PM »
Hi Judith,

I understand from reading on here and from advice from others that it depends upon the food you are giving your puppy.  Some say 12 months, others say 6.

I must admit - it's not easy! :huh:
Look forward to hearing from you!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2006, 04:40:12 PM »
My vet advised that we didnt swap Roxi onto adult food until 1 yead of age minimum??????
Judith and roxi

Alfie's 6 months and I've just changed him from puppy to adult Burns, he wasn't keen at all on the puppy stuff and tbh I couldn't blame him as it had no smell and was very plain. He's a lot happier on the adult variety which has a good meaty smell and it just seems a lot more attractive to him. I think as long as their adult teeth are through and they can chew the bigger kibble then 6 months is ok.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/