Author Topic: puppy vaccinations - how far apart  (Read 4577 times)

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
puppy vaccinations - how far apart
« on: August 01, 2008, 09:26:36 AM »
When we got Barney his vacinations were 2 weeks apart, and showed no issues with this, our past vets before we moved also did puppy vacinations 2 weeks apart.

Dextor had his first injection 2 weeks ago at 8 weeks, our vet said they will not do injection until 3 weeks, is there any reason for a 3 week wait, we did not with Barney (at the same vets)

We go away in a week and would like the injection this weekend so we are sure he is covered

What do you think we should do? the vet has agreed that if we insist he will but would prefer to wait (surely he would not agree to do it if it would put him at risk), but then he would hav only had his second injection 2 days before we take him on holiday and is likely to be covered

not sure what to do for the best

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
Re: puppy vaccinations - how far apart
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:38:14 AM »
Both Harvey and Lilly had their first injections, then two weeks later had second injection. Lilly's will be this Saturday.

With Lilly we picked her up on the 18th and had her booked in for her first injection next morning, as we too had a holiday booked and timescale was tight. The vet said he didn't want to give her her first injection as it was too much, on top of being in a new house.

Hubby (not the most patient person with jobsworthy's) said fine but I have a holiday booked and if the first injection is late so will the second one be, is anyone else in this practice willing to do it, or do they all feel the same.

Needless to say the vet gave Lilly her first injection with no more personal opinion.

Some may disagree, but vets opinions vary, but it is only their opinion. first injection from 8 weeks on second injection two weeks later.

hth

Angela xxx

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 09:38:40 AM »
I would get the jabs done, and enjoy the holiday ;) maybe carry him in popular doggy areas, but i'd risk it.
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:41:06 AM »
My vet prefers 3 weeks apart, but one of the pups has been injected and their vet advised 2 weeks apart.
The guidelines are between 2 -4 weeks apart between injections, so I guess it  doesn't make any real difference.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:41:50 AM »
Hubby has persuaded the vet to do them tomorrow, Dex is a big boy and already at home with Barney,  we are taking him camping and will give him little short walks and carry him on the popular dog walks.

Thanks for your help.

Offline degusuki

• Site Member
  • Mr.Bones
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 01:35:57 PM »
My vet is two weeks apart but didn't want to give Bones the first one as he had just come home. We also said that we were going on holiday and needed him to be covered. He just shrugged and gave it to him.
I took him back two weeks later for his 2nd.

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 02:15:23 PM »
They also wanted Charley to be home about 5 days to a week before he could have his first!

REUBY DOOO!

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 02:55:23 PM »
Dex has had his first and had no ill effects at all, it is just the timescale for the second one, but they have agreed to do it tomorrow at 10 weeks, so he is covered for our holiday

So fingers crossed all will be fine in the morning

Offline marbledmolly

• Site Member
  • Remy & Jade
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 06:09:34 PM »
We picked up Jade yesterday (9 weeks) and on the way home in the car i phoned the vet and booked an appointment for the evening surgery.  She gave her the first jab and a microchip, and asked to see her in 3 weeks time for the second. Although the bit that i found strange was that the vet said we could take her straight out ofter the second one - along as it was not in heavily doggie populated areas and continue with this for a further 2 weeks.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 06:23:35 PM »
Both Harvey and Lilly had their first injections, then two weeks later had second injection. Lilly's will be this Saturday.

With Lilly we picked her up on the 18th and had her booked in for her first injection next morning, as we too had a holiday booked and timescale was tight. The vet said he didn't want to give her her first injection as it was too much, on top of being in a new house.

Hubby (not the most patient person with jobsworthy's) said fine but I have a holiday booked and if the first injection is late so will the second one be, is anyone else in this practice willing to do it, or do they all feel the same.

Needless to say the vet gave Lilly her first injection with no more personal opinion.

Some may disagree, but vets opinions vary, but it is only their opinion. first injection from 8 weeks on second injection two weeks later.

hth

Angela xxx

I think your vet was thinking of your pup TBH and not being a jobsworth - there is a reason why vets don't want to vaccinate pups immediately after they get home and that is that it's hugely upsetting for a new pup to be in a new environment away from it's siblings and it's mother, and sometimes this stress and then the jab itself immediately after can really make the puppy unwell  :-\    I'm assuming your husband realised that and was happy to take that chance of your pup being ill to fit your schedule then?

the other thing is different vaccinations have different programmes - so while you've been used to puppy jabs 8 and 10 weeks, there are new ones on the market that have a different time frame and who's recommendation allow pups to go out immediately afterwards.

I would suggest any new owner check what range of vaccinations is being given and follow the guidelines of each individual vacs from there  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 07:20:27 PM »
well Dex had his second injection today, and the vet admitted to us that even though there is a risk of Dex being slightly unsettled he was confident that having them 2 weeks apart would actually be fine, and only wanted to tell us as a precuationary measure

Dex had his injection this morning and we thought he may be quiet, but no way, he is as bonkers as ever and so far no signs or it effecting him

thanks all

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 09:01:03 PM »
I took Katie home from the breeders on Sunday afternoon and booked her in at the vet a couple of days later so she had time to settle in a little. I had the week off work and i am glad i did as she was not at all very happy with herself (or me :'( )afterwards for a day (very sleepy and diahwotsits). The next one was due two weeks later, so remembering her first one, I made an evening appointment - luckily she was much better on 2nd jab. The vet then advised not putting her down for a week afterwards so I had a long handled shopping bag and i was able to carry her around in this  when necessary. (Think she felt like the queen of sheba lol). It seems it affects some pups and not others
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 09:31:29 PM »

I think your vet was thinking of your pup TBH and not being a jobsworth - there is a reason why vets don't want to vaccinate pups immediately after they get home and that is that it's hugely upsetting for a new pup to be in a new environment away from it's siblings and it's mother, and sometimes this stress and then the jab itself immediately after can really make the puppy unwell      I'm assuming your husband realised that and was happy to take that chance of your pup being ill to fit your schedule then?

the other thing is different vaccinations have different programmes - so while you've been used to puppy jabs 8 and 10 weeks, there are new ones on the market that have a different time frame and who's recommendation allow pups to go out immediately afterwards.

I would suggest any new owner check what range of vaccinations is being given and follow the guidelines of each individual vacs from there   

I take your point, but stating that "I'm assuming your husband realised that and was happy to take that chance of your pup being ill to fit your schedule then?" makes us sound callous and uncaring, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

We were confident that the time schedule would be fine, and it was. Lilly is perfectly healthy and happy, and neither of our dogs have suffered ill effects from their jabs.

Angela xxx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 09:59:06 PM »
TBH your whole post sounded to me like you and your husband thought the vet was incompetent for suggesting you wait - the fact is there is standard procedure and a reason why it's recommended not to vaccinate immediately and it certainly isn't being a 'jobsworth'

I know you were confident that Lily would be fine, and I'm pleased that she is - but I think the vet's advice should at least have been taken into consideration instead of dismissed as them being awkward - they in fact were going against their standard recommended practices so if anything had gone wrong you would have no comeback as it was your choice.

Apologies if that's offended you  :-\ 
helen & jarvis x

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 12:07:29 AM »
Well it is difficult somtimes to understand meaning from written text where facial expression and tone of voice are missing. I do not and neither does my OH believe this vet to be incompetent (after recent posts on here, if we did we would go somewhere else) we do believe however that he was following his own preferences.

Other vets within the practice feel differently about vaccinations, and the pratice took the booking knowing that we were picking Lilly up the day before. We do take on board the qualified vets opinion obviously, but it is also ok we believe to question advice given as I would do if I went to see a doctor.

I did not go into all details to explain the total process at the vets as with a broken collarbone means typing lefthanded is difficult. I apologise if it made you believe my OH or myself are less than respectful of our vet or less than committed to doing what is best for our animals.

Angela xxx :blink: