Author Topic: swimming  (Read 1542 times)

Offline lorri

• Site Member
swimming
« on: June 06, 2004, 11:07:15 PM »
When walking through our local glen on a really hot day there were loads on dogs enjoying a splash in the river. Jarvis was desperate to get there and hada  little paddle before taking him away. What are the thouhts on allowing your dogs to swim . I was just a little bit wary of any infections he may get :? Is there a particular age before allowing your dog into water???

Lorraine and Jarvis                    

Offline PennyB

swimming
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 11:30:15 PM »
I let mine swim as early as they wanted to—mine swim in the River Taff almost every day if I let them (even when I don't Wilf always sneaks along for a quick dip).

If your dog is fully vaccinated then it shouldn't be a problem. The only other problem if is you let them swim in a lake or such that is quite still in a hot summer as in some areas there is an increased risk of lots of harmful algae and I can't remember which it is blue or red (its poisonous I think).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
swimming
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 12:12:25 AM »
you're right Penn, its Blue Algae and it is poisonous - If Anita logs on and sees this hread she has info on blue algae - she sent me a leaflet - which I can't find right now .. typically  :?  :D                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline PennyB

swimming
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 08:52:08 AM »
you're right Penn, its Blue Algae and it is poisonous - If Anita logs on and sees this hread she has info on blue algae - she sent me a leaflet - which I can't find right now .. typically  :?  :D

Its probably somewhere on the internet. But to reiterate this will only be a problem in hot summers and in still waters not rivers. In rivers the diseases like Weils disease (from rat urine, which could also be found in puddles anyway if the rats have been there) are vaccinated against anyway.

Handy link that tells you about it briefly:

http://www.valleyvets.co.uk/summer/algae.htm                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
swimming
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 03:18:59 PM »
Like most things in life there is some risk - but the vast majorioty of dogs enjoy the odd dip[ without any problems what so ever :D Some dogs hate water - paddling or swimming but many - especially spaniels love it. MIne go crazy to get in the water.

As long as he is fully vaccinated let him have a go - you could put a long line on him just in case he got in any bother - you could then pull him back :wink:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
swimming
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 04:41:25 PM »
Just see this. Yes it is blue green algae that you need to keep away from but its not always obvious. You need to be careful if they just drink from the waters edge as well.

try the Environment Agency web page for info

www.environment-agency.gov.uk

but if you can't find anything let me know and I'll see if we have any leaflets left :)                    
Anita

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
swimming
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 08:25:05 PM »
be careful if your dogs are swimming in lakes or ponds, here two dogs got drowned by a swan one was a springer soo be a little careful                    

Offline lorri

• Site Member
swimming
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 11:43:03 PM »
thanks everyone guess where me and Jarvis are going tomorrow just diggin out loads of towels and blankets to lie over the seats of the car :?                    

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
swimming
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 04:43:21 PM »
Barnaby is a bit of a wimp. He won't even go in puddles. We have taken him to the canal several times (which is conveniantly at the bottom of our local park) and tried to encourage him to get in. He went in twice. I checked before how deep it was and it was ok. I don't think he realised what it was until it was a bit late, he slid in head first and then came to the surfice, putting his paws up on the bank. I had to pull him up by his paws :roll: Recently he started rolling in this huge marshy patch of mud which smelt of sewage. He had to have five baths!!! :roll:                    
Katherine and Barnaby