Author Topic: Car Harnesses & puppy training  (Read 940 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Car Harnesses & puppy training
« on: June 18, 2004, 09:29:13 PM »
more questions, I'm afraid!

I've begun the wonderful task of ordering/buying lots of doggie things for our impending arrival; and from reading COL I have decided to use a harness to ensure pup travels safely in the car.

I know that we won't use it the first few times as someone will hold pup, but want to try and get him used to his 'travelling space' - next to my daughter on the back seat - as soon as possible.

What size harness should I buy? Are there 'puppy' harnesses, or should I buy a mini/small for when my pup is tiny and then but bigger as he grows?

Also; had anyone bought/used Gwen Baileys Puppy School "Train for Life" Pack?

I have bought and already heavily thumbed 'The Perfect Puppy' but saw the Train for Life pack and wondered if it was a good 'buy'. Has anyone been to a Puppy School run by a Gwen Bailey trainer?

Thanks                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 11:38:32 PM »
Hi Rachel,

I would have loved to have taken my dogs to a puppy school run by a Gwen Bailey trainer but unfortunatly we dont have any here :(  I have read the perfect puppy though and gone back to it time and time again - great book :wink:  I also found this site useful too http://www.dogbehaviour.com/furtherhelp.htm

Car harness - I've just bought Bailey a harness on tuesday, he's 11 weeks old and we got a medium harness made as small as it will go and will fit him right through till he is an adult. :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 09:11:37 AM »
I bought Lottie a car harness last weekend, she was nearly 10 weeks.
She is still quite a little girlie though for her age, but I got a Hi Craft dog car harness and it is extra small.
If you measure around the pups chest the harnesses seem to go by this size. As I said Lottie is little and the extra small is ample, she has stacks of growing room.
I got it from Pets at Home and they were happy to let us try it on her or exchange it if it was the incorrect size.
Hope that helps.
BTW, she sits quite happily in it, and has even been on the back seat alone in it with just me driving and happily settles down and goes to sleep.                    

Offline Joe

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 04:25:15 PM »
Hi Rachel,

Congratulations on your new arrival!!

I have used a car harness on Jake since he was a few months old without any problems at all. He sits on the back seat and I am happy that he is quite safe. My sister also uses one on her cocker Flex, who is much more lively in the car than Jake. It is much safer having Flex restrained as he tended to try to get into the front if he could.

On a lighter note - I have found the harness to be particularly invaluable since I changed my car for a soft top jeep. Jake can have the roof down safely with the wind in his face as he loves, without being able to jump out at high speed!! I must get some photo's of him, he looks so funny!!

Anyway, I hope it all goes well. The shopping bit is great fun isn't it?

Love

Joe and Jake                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 05:29:37 PM »
You can buy an attachment that goes on to any harness rather than a car harness if you want.

http://www.petcompany.co.uk/acatalog/Onlin...w_Vents_34.html                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!