Author Topic: Names  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Peony

Re: Names
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 11:28:26 AM »
We had made a list of names for both genders as we didn't mind if we had a boy or a girl, it was just whatever felt right when we visited! But when it came to it, we ended up with a name not on the list! When we had chosen our girl pup, we found out her KC name was Graceful Runner, DH and I looked at each other and said "Gracie?" So nothing else seemed to fit after that and I think it really suits her now. :)

I also quite like that we got our Graceful Runner in the year of the London Olympics. Not sure yet if she'll live up to her name though!  :005:
Gemma & Gracie

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
For some reason my immediate family has mostly had dogs with names beginning in B - a total coincidence at first but not now :005:. There has been Bonnie, Blue, Bobby, Benji, Barney, Bliss, Bria, Brodie and Brooke.

When I decided I was getting a puppy (and my first ever female) I had a HUGE list of names beginning with B. My favourite was Bella. However, when I met her for the first time she didn't suit it - or any of the other names on my list >:D. Finally settled on Brenna and that's what she came home as, but none of the family liked it :'(. After about four hours I thought of Brodie - the name of a gorgeous little village up north :luv:. And it stuck. Rare to find a female dog called Brodie but it really suits her.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Clare B

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 12:47:06 PM »
We had a list put together by the family around the dinner table. , we had seen our pup and had a good idea of what would suit her ( an orange roan) .... Flossie, Beebee, Beeb, Alice ( as in Alice in wonderland), Tess, and my husbands firm favorite Flo.  Flo she is :luv:  my kids now are determined to get another dog when we move to the UK ( after we're settled) as my OH promised we could have another if we did the move, I have favoured getting a golden retriever or a welshie,  but my kids are set upon having a red boy cocker and calling him Diego  :005:  we will wait and see, at this point with the move and all the last thing on my agenda is another dog  :shades:

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 12:58:17 PM »
Jazz was named before we got her as it was the only name the whole family liked.  We knew we wanted a girl and solid black (although it would suit a boy too) so she had her name before we found her.

My new puppy coming 14th Aug is a golden girl and we knew she was coming before the litter was even born and as mum & dad are both golden there was a high chance pups would be all red/gold.  I wanted gold and had a name in mind.  When we went to see her the breeder had given all the pups (seven in total 3x dogs 4x bitches) nicknames which were all had a royal connection.

Our little girl was called "Betty" but I announced that I liked Bailey (as she is the same colour as the drink!) and the family miraculously agreed.  The breeder has been calling her Bailey now for the last 2 weeks and will do so till collection day so hopefully she will be a bit used to it by then. ;)
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline Sula

• Raisin
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 01:10:48 PM »
Ruben our rescue cross came to us named, but when we were looking for a puupy my first choice of colour was blue roan and the name would be Raisin. As it turned out he is a solid black (well apart from a tiny white patch on his chest  :luv: ) and Raisin still suited so that's what he is called  :shades:

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 03:19:28 PM »
I'm a few months from finding my first cocker (have to move first!) but have already thought of names that I like.

I really want a girlie (less fussy about colour) and really like the name Lottie at the moment  :luv:

Other names in the running are Bella, Darcey or Buffy.

Offline **purpleprincess**

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 09:32:44 PM »
My OH chose the name of our baby. He is a massive Chelsea fan and pup is called Luca after Gianluca Vialli  :doh: There were a whole host of others, but this one stuck. Bizarrely, another pup in the same litter was also named Luca!!

To be fair, this was a compromise as it's not totally obvious, and I got to decide on having a boy and choosing the pup!!

Luca's KC name is Master Luitia Plummer!
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)

Offline bentley1984

• cookie monster
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 10:18:01 PM »
When we got our Gsd it was just me and the husband then(and we were young..good times) we seen the litter bout three weeks from a distance then again at five still no name..we had decided on a girl but not a pup yet..the next week(it was a Friday day before my birthday our mortgage had gone through) finished work trip to morrisons and off we go to pick our pup and take her home(still no name) picked her up(ball of fluff) took her to inlaws to show off and brought her home still couldn't decide on a name..had tea watched a bit of Tele a lot of cuddles later and we was discussing names(packet of cookies in front of me) cookie it was and it really suited her so it stuck..sorry for long story but I love that day goes down as one of my fave xx

Offline TracyR

• Bella
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 10:24:07 PM »
I emailed my pup's breeder and when she mailed back that she had 2 female choc pup's left I said to OH I want a pup named Bella I called breeder next day for a chat and she'd named the pup's Bella and Ruby so I had my Bella chosen before I saw her and she would have been my pick anyway.
Bella's fave chew toy x

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 10:32:46 PM »
We called our first dog Cassie. I just saw it somewhere and liked it.

When we lost Cass and decided to get our second dog, we had a few names in mind, one of which was Ruby. As we got in the car to go and see her, the Kaiser Chief's Ruby Ruby Ruby song came on and OH turned to me and said I guess she will be Ruby then.

Me and my brother both love the book To Kill a Mockingbird, the children in it are Scout and Jem. He always wanted a dog named Scout and although in the book Scout is a girl, their dog was a boy but was still called Scout. I think it is a cool name.
So when we decided to our third dog, we decided to chose Jem as the name, and although Jem is a boy in the book, ours is a girl, but we still liked it and thought it still worked for a girl!
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 07:48:33 AM »
We have a short list of about a dozen, so we are going to choose our top two then fight it out lol

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »
We had a choice of kennel name for Jinley - Orinoco Flow or Missy Sippi (they were all named after American / Canadian Rivers).  I was going to call her Flo but when I had her it didnt suit her!

Every name I came up with my OH would say he knew somebody called that and he didnt like them or we knew somebody with that name, so couldnt give her the same name.  So we made a name up and it stuck.

Luckily in a mixture of Korean and Thai, it roughly translates into Precious Friend which is easier to explain than she was getting more and more ginger every day!!  :005: :005:

Whatever your choose, you have got to be able to shout it out across a field without raising a few sniggers!! :005: :005:  Also take into account what the name sounds like as dogs may get confused with precise sounds.

Get your puppy, get to know him for a few days then have some fun with friends and family on a naming game.

Good luck!

Pat

Offline Clare B

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 01:19:32 PM »
@ Pat , good thing Jinley is named so rather than Flo,  as my Flo and Jinley look too much alike and we could all be confused ... Along with their in common  insatiable delight with mud  :005: BTW. I love the name Jinley  :luv:

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »
We have a short list of about a dozen, so we are going to choose our top two then fight it out lol

We had a short list of about a dozen too  :005:  When we thought about what might suit a golden girl the list was whittled down a bit.  I really liked the name Meg or Megan but our next door neighbours cat is called Meg, so that was ruled out.  We all liked Maisie, but that didn't seem to suit a golden, my son liked Willow but we have a friend with a daughter called Willow so that was ruled out too!! Our short shortlist was Honey, Rosie, Ruby, Heidi & Maggie.  So we waited until she came home to see what we thought best suited her.  Poor little girl was just called "pup" for a few hours  :-\  Then we had a family vote & wrote down our choice of names.  OH chose Honey, my son and I both chose Ruby  :luv: but I suspect if/when  :005: :005: we get another one she will be called Honey (assuming we had another girl of course)  ;)
Lynn