Author Topic: When to feed  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Linnyg

When to feed
« on: January 03, 2019, 10:01:55 AM »
Hi
We have recently welcomed 2 puppies into our home. We have been used to red setters where due to bloat risks we had to feed either at least 1 hour after exercise or at least 2 hours before exercise. Could somebody please tell me if this is the same for cockers? Thank you.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: When to feed
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:16:20 AM »
I usually feed an hour before or after exercise 😋
Julie and Watson

Offline Linnyg

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:17:55 AM »
Thank you x

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 06:47:23 PM »
Same here, I leave at least an hour.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 11:17:08 AM »
Depends on the type of exercise and size of meal. I do always try to keep bloat in mind, just to be on the safe side, but I don't worry as much as I would with larger, more deep chested dogs. For normal walks, I don't really think about it much. I try to leave 30-60min between feeding and walks (unless she is going to be on lead, then I don't worry at all). But most days I just feed the dog when I wake up, spend half an hour getting ready and then we go for our usual walk in the woods (off lead). I wouldn't play fetch or do agility right after a meal, but normal walks/jogs I don't think too much about it. I might give a smaller meal if we have to leave immediately after she eats. Has anyone ever experienced bloat in a cocker? I wonder how big a risk it is in a small, compact breed like our cockers. I've never heard of a case personally, only heard of it in larger dogs. Edit: I remembered I used to be more mindful of the 1hour before/after when she was younger and more crazy :)