Author Topic: having problem feeding  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
having problem feeding
« on: January 02, 2019, 08:47:37 PM »
Ollie is really behaving strangley when given his food, it has been happening for about a week, he is certainly hungry yet will not approach his bowl which is placed on a small carpet mat on the tile kitchen floor, it is almost like he is standing back for his bowl and looking up at me as if he is scared of approaching the bowl.  It is a solid bowl which he has had for about 6-8 mths and he has always eagerly scoffed his food up from it. 

At first I wondered if the bowl  had somehow dropped off the mat and scared him - it is quiet heavy, hubby and I have placed it in a couple different places, either speaking words of encouragement or  being there pottering about but not looking at him, neither has worked, he will come to me and take it from my hand and the minute I stop hoping he will then start to eat - he starts to back away in a timid manner, his food hasn't changed but MIL thinks our crafty cocker has thought better food was to be had what with the turkey and a large gammon on New Years Eve.

Last night I just left his food down and at lunchtime today just left it, but tonight I had to throw it, so replaced it with a small amount of his food, he again did the above. Tomorrow I will try another bowl maybe.
I do not think he is ill as eager to have his treats after walks and his usual nightly treat which in true cocker fashion he bullies me for.

Any ideas.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: having problem feeding
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 09:56:15 PM »
hi Julie, - Humphrey‘s done that a couple of times, he gets fed raw and both times I think it was something in the mix that maybe just didn’t smell right (he‘s picky with liver), but he backed away in the way you’ve described, it was like he was expecting something to jump out and bite him!  :lol2:What does he have? Could there be something in there that‘s changed. Might it be something as silly as having changed the washing up liquid you use for his bowl? (Some of them smell particularly strong) MIL could well have a point!  ;) , maybe try leaving one meal out and see what happens when he‘s really hungry or mix a bit of liver sausage or broth in it :huh: Can‘t think of anything else, it‘s just trial and error I guess! Keep us posted!
x Jayne n Humph‘

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 09:59:08 PM »
Hi, what is his eyesight like? My14yo is almost blind now and I have to show him where his food is. He also backs off at first.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 10:11:47 PM »
Have you tried raising the bowl off the floor so he doesn’t have to bend his neck?
Or try a flat plate so that any smell dissipates? Or just throw the food on the floor? If this doesn’t work or different food doesn’t work, I would consider a sore throat or neck.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 10:53:15 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.....I am truly at a loss, I wondered if it was his teeth he is 11 now and one vet said he could do with a good scale sometime but his treats and chewy are eagerly anticipated,  his last nightly garden trip is followed by his chewy and in true Ollie fashion its the quickest turn around of the day as he eagerly wants the chewy then flat out - as he is now.

Jayne it really is like something is going to jump out and bite him - my brave woofty is so timid!!

Phoenix I have thought of another dish for tomorrow, which I will try, he seems fine in himself still as crazy as ever with his toys and playing, Emily don't think it's his eyes, he really still doesn't miss a trick.

I shall see how tomorrow pans out, Ollie has always been a crafty monkey and the last 10days have seen OH at home ( boy can Ollie twist his master round his little paw), MIL staying, nieces dropping in etc and as I have said the turkey and gammon each time they were uncovered he was miraculously behind me in an instant, so hopefully life will return to normal. 

He is feed Nutradiet and a small amount of biscuit mix - I am limited on a change (always had a weak tummy since little) but there is a Forthglade I have used in past so will get a couple on Friday if no joy tomorrow.

keep you posted

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 05:39:36 AM »
Bea did something like this once when she was teething but far more seriousness after she came out of Hospital,

I spoke to a behaviourist and his suggestions of change everything worked,

Time of day, where, when , what She she was fed and most importantly the bowl.

With Bea I believe she cought one of her loose pup teath on the bowl which hurt her so she associated eating with pain, then when she was in hospital for a week she linked feeding with feeling sick and she treated the bowl like criptonite  :lol2:

With patience and time she now eats from her bowl in exactly the same place as always :D

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 03:37:13 PM »
For some reason Jinley will only eat from a plastic chopping board, might be worth a try if the new bowl doesnt work.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: having problem feeding - update
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 07:20:46 PM »
I had hoped to post sooner - but had a very strange day explain later :lol2:

Well can report it is the dish and the tiled kitchen floor, or at least I hope so ;) plus a bit of change in routine too!.  Hubby is back in work and away till tomorrow, so Ollie's morning was back to normal, saw Mum opening the tin of salmon for Dads butties and the eagerness of Ollie having the skin and bits etc, served in cereal bowl like we have (only with chip in....)and drum roll all was eaten but only when Dad placed it on hall carpet.  Lunch and tea served in same bowl and placed on hall carpet.  Tomorrow will try and place his feeding mat under dish in hall and place as close to my kitchen as possible.

As for me after searching for NHS dentist for months and speaking to local health board I was offered cancelation for today and guess what car battery flat, so no dentist, but a delighted Ollie spent 45 mins cruising with his Mum after breakdown man suggested a good journey was needed.

So Ollie is ok - car Ok and me I'm ok thanks to second glass red wine :rofl1:

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 09:14:07 PM »

Well can report it is the dish and the tiled kitchen floor, or at least I hope so ;) plus a bit of change in routine too!.  Hubby is back in work and away till tomorrow, so Ollie's morning was back to normal, saw Mum opening the tin of salmon for Dads butties and the eagerness of Ollie having the skin and bits etc, served in cereal bowl like we have (only with chip in....)and drum roll all was eaten but only when Dad placed it on hall carpet.  Lunch and tea served in same bowl and placed on hall carpet.  Tomorrow will try and place his feeding mat under dish in hall and place as close to my kitchen as possible.

As for me after searching for NHS dentist for months and speaking to local health board I was offered cancelation for today and guess what car battery flat, so no dentist, but a delighted Ollie spent 45 mins cruising with his Mum after breakdown man suggested a good journey was needed.

:005: :005:  Prost!!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 12:46:44 PM »

:005: :005:  Prost!!

Vielen dank ;)