Author Topic: Omg, I think I may have lost the plot!  (Read 1442 times)

Offline KerryF

Omg, I think I may have lost the plot!
« on: February 16, 2017, 04:07:17 PM »
This afternoon I sat down with a cup of tea and a small slice of homemade chocolate cake, turned to get the remote control and I'm sure you can imagine the rest!  Parker dived for my cake, I grabbed it out of his mouth and got most of it out.  He managed to eat a few crumbs, but I then googled "chocolate cake and dogs". I have now spent 20mins doing a complicated maths puzzle working out how many mg of toxin he may have injested and dividing it by his weight to see whether it was likely to poison him!

Someone please tell me I am not mad 😄
Aaaggghhhhh
 >:D

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Omg, I think I may have lost the plot!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »
You're not mad  :005: We've all done it. I'm more relaxed about it now than I was as a fresh dog owner, but that's probably because I have a rough idea of what's safe after having done the math a few times. Also, better safe than sorry. I once had a houseguest who forgot to put away a 100g chocolate bar of 70% cocoa. Don't even have to google that amount! Scariest thing I've ever experienced with my furbaby! Tankfully we got to the hospital in time and the symptoms cleared up after some medication and fluid treatment    :003:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »
It least the 20 mins of panic has used up some  calories   :005:
To think in the past before people decided chocolate was bad for dogs , my dogs and I would share a bar. They always had a human advent calander and christmas tree chocolates  ph34r
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline KerryF

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:35:36 PM »
Lol, thanks for that. 

I used less than 2oz of cocoa powder in the whole cake and I'm pretty sure he got less than a mouthful of it. Bl**dy google terrified me, I should have probably just asked on here.

This was at 3pm and he's been absolutely fine since.

X

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 04:39:38 PM »
Lol, thanks for that. 

I used less than 2oz of cocoa powder in the whole cake and I'm pretty sure he got less than a mouthful of it. Bl**dy google terrified me, I should have probably just asked on here.

This was at 3pm and he's been absolutely fine since.

X

Get your self a good wedge of more cake. good for getting rid of the jitters  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline tenaille

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 04:40:38 PM »
no not mad, just a worrier like the rest of us  ;)
I don't think a tiny quantity will have any adverse effect, every dog I've had has stolen/eaten some form of chocolate at one time or other with no ill effect. I personally would only worry if it was a slab of choccy that went down, but you could always phone your vets for reassurance about it.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 04:44:28 PM »
I'd have thought he could eat a whole cake with 2oz of chocolate in it and be fine, let alone just a small mouthful.

Henry once got hold of some 80% Dark chocolate. I reckoned he'd eaten about 5-10g befreo I got it off him. I immediately phoned the vet, they did the maths and said he'd be fine. And he was.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 05:00:15 PM »
In the days before we knew chocolate was bad, like more than forty years ago  ph34r, I made a gooey chocolate gāteau for people coming round.  We lived in an upstairs flat and were seeing the friends out and left about three quarters of the cake on the coffee table, with two six month old pups on the loose. I blame the wine  :005:. When we got back upstairs the cake was tipped onto the pale sheepskin rug and what hadn't been trampled into it had been well and truly snaffled. I was more cross about the rug than the cake, and they didn't suffer any ill effects. I'd panic now!!

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 05:04:21 PM »
Before I knew better one of my dogs used to always have a few chocolate raisins when ever I had a packet which was often, never had any negative results. Our dogs always had left over stew and shepherds pie with onion, all before the internet and we didn't know, dogs were fine though
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 05:26:31 PM »
I spent yesterday clearing out the kitchen cupboards and emptied a packet of dried chilli peppers into the bin and found one in Humphrey's bed this morning! We thought  he'd been a little subdued yesterday evening!!  >:(
As for the chocolate - no, you're no madder than any of us, I'd have been exactly the same, -  but when I think what my last two dogs ate .....! I actually used to feed one of them grapes 😱 , he loved them! I've no doubt chocolate isn't  good for them and dogs have died but they're the exception rather than the rule, - like people have died after eating a peanut, but I think all these things are vastly exaggerated and a small amount, in most cases, doesn't do any harm. (But don't tell Parker!  :005:)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 05:32:54 PM »
It's worth noting, though, that the chemical in dark chocolate that is bad for dogs has been added to more and more 'milk' chocolate products in recent years. So it's wise NOW to treat all chocolate as dark chocolate. It's the quantity that matters. A chocolate cake, even an entire one, would probably be fine, but it's always wise to check!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 05:42:04 PM »
So how much WOULD actually be dangerous?  How do you work it out?

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 05:48:16 PM »
If you google it, there are guides.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 11:34:19 AM »
Its true we have become so much more knowledgeable since the internet, years and years ago you never heard of chocolates - onions - and others things being bad for dogs.

But that goes for us humans too....we were told to go to work on an egg each day, then told to eat only two a week, but we can make our own informed - or not choices, but our cocker babies cant.

P.S a work colleague kids left a large box of chocs on the settee one Christmas - she came down next morning to one lethargic dog, 3 days later and many £ less the dog came back from post Christmas stay a the vets.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed