Author Topic: Windy Day Woes  (Read 776 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Windy Day Woes
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:45:34 AM »
Just back from a disastrous walk with Henry. It's very windy, but we managed to miss the rain. Henry's behaviour, though, was ATROCIOUS. He wouldn't walk nicely at all. Just a whirling dervish at the end of the lead. I couldn't settle him at all and we didn't get to play any of our usual games because he had ZERO focus. I could have happily let the lead go and watch him fly off into the wind like Toto in The Wizard of Oz. I can remember my kids being a bit bananas on really windy days when they were little. Is it the same for dogs?

*places 'Dog For Sale' in the small ads*
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline PollySpaull

Re: Windy Day Woes
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »
Definitely the same for dogs! I find with Monty, and with Ernest actually, the wind seems to get up their tails and they just go a little doolally! I just had a first training class with Ernest, and he was also spinning like a crocodile on the end of the lead in this weather! So I wouldn't worry too much! X

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:13:54 AM »
It's the floppy ears that do it :D

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 12:13:57 PM »
Been out with Blue for a very 'bracing' walk! The local clough, where I usually let him off for a doggy paddle, has turned into a raging torrent worthy of the name Niagara!  He still wanted to go in, no sense of danger at all.  It took all my strength to hold him back.

Offline lescef

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 12:45:17 PM »
I was a teacher and the kids were always dreadful in the wind!  :005:
The dogs aren't much better!  :005:
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 12:48:07 PM »
Thanks, guys, I feel better now. Might just give the mutt the benefit of the doubt. As soon as he stops barking at the wind in the chimney...
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 06:50:07 PM »
Quite normal apparantly, I remember our first trainer warning us about the wind, she had horses and said they hated the wind!

We've just come in after spending an hour next door and Humphrey's gone ballistic - you'd have thought he'd been on his own for days, -he's never that bad normally!

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 08:03:05 PM »
Ha , Ernie has been the same , completely & utterly bonkers on our walks . Lots of zoomies & galloping about whilst his ears flap madly in the wind  :005: :005:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 10:01:44 PM »
In my horse riding days it used to be fun, they were very,skittish when it was windy, which made a ride very unpredictable to,say the least  :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 12:38:27 AM »
I didn't bother taking mine out at all, except for vital trips to garden and when the wind blew a tree down in the garden I decided we were all safer indoors.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.