Author Topic: Bad habits!!!  (Read 1173 times)

Offline AnnaD

Bad habits!!!
« on: February 26, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »
Hello,
So our gorgeous pup George has been doing so well with his toilet training and now no longer wakes up in the night to go out. However, around half 5 each morning when he has woken up (because he wants some cuddles and attention as he doesnt go to the toilet at this time) we have gotten into a bad habit of bringing him upstairs to sleep at the end of our bed. He is perfect when we do this and will happily sleep forever until one of us get up. The problem is now we are in the habit I do not want this to be the routine for the rest of George's life!

How would everyone suggest we stop this? He is crate trained and is comfortable in his crate. I don't know whether to tell him 'NO' and leave him, or ignore him in hope that he stops barking. We could try making it later and later that he wakes up and we bring him up but I wouldn't know how to do this.

All advice welcome!!!! :D

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Bad habits!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 08:16:12 AM »
Oh dear and soon he will be taking up the whole bed!  Why not have a couple of mornings when you get up at 5 and stay downstairs?  Might work to break the expectations

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 08:46:19 AM »
Good luck with that 😁
Due to cut paw we ended up with crate at side of bed, its still were she sleeps. Whilst we have a brew in bed about 7am she comes on the bed for a cuddle. Not the right thing apparently but I don't have an issue
Ps
She is quite happy in her crate in the lounge for a bit if Mrs ips and I require an early night (if you know what I mean 😉) in case anyone was wondering how that worked.
Sorry not much help to you, my only point is do whatever you want and whatever your happy with.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 08:53:26 AM »
ips - I've always wondered how 'that' worked, so thanks for the clarification. Our dog has always stayed downstairs. We've traumatised a cat sleeping under the bed more than once, however.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline lescef

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 09:14:11 AM »
This is what was recommended on another sit to get them to stay in bed longer.
Set your alarm for earlier than the dog wakes and get up etc
Set your alarm one minute later every day until you get to a time you're happy with. If one morning the dog starts before the alarm, go back a minute or so.

We used to let our first cocker on the bed so we could have a lie in, but only at weekends. She soon learnt the routine.  >:D
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 10:47:52 AM »
ips - I've always wondered how 'that' worked, so thanks for the clarification. Our dog has always stayed downstairs. We've traumatised a cat sleeping under the bed more than once, however.

Haha, a traumatised cat 😁😁😁

Offline ips

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 10:56:33 AM »
This is what was recommended on another sit to get them to stay in bed longer.
Set your alarm for earlier than the dog wakes and get up etc
Set your alarm one minute later every day until you get to a time you're happy with. If one morning the dog starts before the alarm, go back a minute or so.

We used to let our first cocker on the bed so we could have a lie in, but only at weekends. She soon learnt the routine.  >:D

Re weekends, a prine example of "context" .

In the morning ours is in her cage in lounge as soon as I either lock back door I puck my car keys up. Evenings she goes out for comfort break then runs upstairs and lies on our bed, she gets a cuddle then goes in her cage at side of bed. She knows she has to stay there until 7am then is allowed on bed again. Its very strange but somehow she knows if Mrs ips and I are "retiring early" and instead of going upstairs she goes in her lounge cage. How she knows. This is a mystery because we are not aware of having done or said anything different, very intriguing how they know these things.
I am aware that many do not sign up for dogs on our beds and indeed many other things but as earlier contributor mentioned its a great way of getting some extra sleep. I say we should all do what we want with our doggie friends regardless of what the text books may say. 👍

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 06:22:36 PM »
Hahaha I read that that your wife went into her lounge cage instead of going upstairs!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 07:37:48 PM »

The reason we are childless is because we did not want to disturb the 3 dogs that were on the bed.  6 eyes and tongues hanging out rendered us into the giggle fits , End of moment  ph34r
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ips

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 08:08:41 PM »
Hahaha I read that that your wife went into her lounge cage instead of going upstairs!

Ha, very good 😁

Offline ips

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 08:10:13 PM »

The reason we are childless is because we did not want to disturb the 3 dogs that where on the bed.  6 eyes and tongues hanging out rendered us into the giggle fits , End of moment  ph34r

Ha, you need cages downstairs 😁

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 09:13:40 PM »

The reason we are childless is because we did not want to disturb the 3 dogs that where on the bed.  6 eyes and tongues hanging out rendered us into the giggle fits , End of moment  ph34r

:rofl1: :rofl1:

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »
Rosie sleeps down stairs , We got into bad habit of getting up to check She didnt need a wee at about 5 am , mainly as that seemed to be the time she stirred and had an accident, then I would curl up on the settee with Her.Over a period of a few weeks I got up abit later until Rosie was staying asleep until our waking time, which to be fair is quite early.In the camper van She sleeps on our bed....until it starts to get light and She remembers there could be rabbits outside....one morning whilst up ine The Lake District there was myself and another lady with two Jack Russels walking around the site with dogs going absolutely frantic at all the rabbits....the time 5 am.
The cat sleeps on our bed at home, She also seems to know when there is an 'early night' She sits on the bedside table with a look on Her face and if She had a watch I just know She would be pointing to it.

Offline ips

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 02:38:13 PM »
Lol. Seems that dogs are not amused by "early nights" 😁